Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

M2 and Magnaflow Exhaust Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 04:51 AM
HarleyDobbs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M2 and Magnaflow Exhaust Build

I just purchased the M2 HKS Replica Exhaust from Megan Racing along with an X-Pipe/Muffler from Magnaflow. Borla makes an x-pipe/muffer but I think it's a .5 inches too wide.

I'll be sure to post pics when we cut to H-Pipe to see the integrity of the exhaust system (any flow blockage). Due to the design of the system we will be cutting behind the H-Pipe and cleaning it out as needed. If we can cut in front of it then we can eleminate it all together. Just looks a little tight in that area. That's why we went with M2 instead of another knock off because the design fits a little better for the modification.

It's a 2.5 inch system so I got the 2.5 inch X-pipe/muffler. I'll be sure to post pics and video of the build, exhaust notes/tone using stock, full system no x-pipe and full system using x-pipe.

I do have a Inject CAI so we will see how she turns out! I'll keep this updated as parts arrive and work begins. Any preliminary suggestions? Other then that stay tuned.

http://www.meganracingperformance.co...-p-189150.html
Old 12-26-2011, 03:32 PM
R350Zz33

So u Paid 100 more then me for the same exhaust I have cause Megans name is on it ? There all the same mine fit no problem along with my x pipe
Old 12-26-2011, 10:40 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Would be more interesting with photos.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:20 AM
HarleyDobbs

Originally Posted by davidv
Would be more interesting with photos.
You must of not read the entire post did you? Pics will come, parts havent even arrived yet.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:21 AM
HarleyDobbs

Originally Posted by R350Zz33
So u Paid 100 more then me for the same exhaust I have cause Megans name is on it ? There all the same mine fit no problem along with my x pipe
Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:25 PM
Itzcashew

THe x pipe brings back the Z gurgling sound. It also quiets down the system just a tad. To be honest it sounds more like a Ark exhaust system, you know the guys who made it a big deal they have an X pipe welded in instead of a H pipe.

Have you done research on what benefits a X pipe vs. an H pipe does?
Old 01-02-2012, 01:49 PM
HarleyDobbs

Originally Posted by Itzcashew
THe x pipe brings back the Z gurgling sound. It also quiets down the system just a tad. To be honest it sounds more like a Ark exhaust system, you know the guys who made it a big deal they have an X pipe welded in instead of a H pipe.

Yes yes I have. The H-Pipe needs to be placed in most effective spot, I believe where the gasses being to "tumble" or collide? I just know the old paint trick to see where the h-pipe should be placed. The H-Pipe usually makes more torque. The x-pipe does just about the same thing but it just allows the system to scavenge gasses where the h-pipe doesn't have that property. Little better over all gains with the x-pipe usually.

For my build I'm going more for sound and not necessarily #'s and the x-pipe does a much better job with sound then the h-pipe. The VQ sound is amazing and I don't want to loose that.

If I was going for #'s I would leave the system they way it is, test it and start from there. As a matter of fact I wouldn't have gotten this exhaust if I was going for #'s lol

It's all about looks, sound and some positive gains at this point in time. If it's 0 hp gain, which I doubt will happen, and an amazing sound I will be smiling ear to ear! But if it sounds like crap when I'm done I will be through the roof!

Here are some pics of the x-pipe
Attached Thumbnails M2 and Magnaflow Exhaust Build-x-pipe.jpg   M2 and Magnaflow Exhaust Build-top-half.jpg   M2 and Magnaflow Exhaust Build-far-away-shot.jpg   M2 and Magnaflow Exhaust Build-x-pipe-close.jpg   M2 and Magnaflow Exhaust Build-x-pipe-close2.jpg  

Old 01-02-2012, 11:24 PM
bikinilust

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

should change exhaust note [deeper] and MAY move over the tq and/or hp curve.
I wouldn't be surprised if gains are made, but gains would be minimal...

I did the magnaflow X pipe muffler mod when I had the STILLEN exhaust [replaced STILLEN x pipe with magnaflow "x muffler"], but I also deleted the STILLEN resonators [didnt see a need for them seeing how I was adding a "x muffler"]. The car pulled harder and sounded deeper after this...it also did a gargling sound on decel...VERY NICE

Id suggest deleting the resonators that came with your exhaust, when you do the x muffler mod. You wont get rasp with them gone

Last edited by bikinilust; 01-03-2012 at 12:17 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:32 PM
bikinilust

ALSO:

if your replica exhaust is like the HKS, the rear "Bung Resonators" will be impeding flow.
On the HKS, where the "Bung Resonators" mate with the main exhaust pipes, its pipe impedes the flow of exhaust a substantial amount because they didnt notch [half moon cut] the "BR's" mating pipe prior to welding....they just cut a whole in the exhaust pipe, slid the BR's pipe in [which has a straight cut] then weld the 2 together.

Id suggest having the "Bung Resonators" on your exhaust cut off, notched, clean the whole on the main exhaust pipe of slag, then weld the two back together.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:57 PM
-Trav-

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Itzcashew

I always thought it was the other way around. V8 mustang guys typically dont like running x pipes because it lacks that gargle, sounds too "exotic". Figured the same principal would hold with a V6.

Bikinilust-deleting resonators for less rasp?? I took mine off and now have rasp x1000 at WOT
Old 01-03-2012, 12:13 AM
bikinilust

Adding x muffler and deleting original resonators doesn't equal rasp, from my experience.
Why would you want to add huge third resonator, when the x muffler could just cancel out the original resonators? One is taking place of the other
Old 01-03-2012, 12:47 AM
-Trav-

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

^ not sure why one would want to do that, but all I know is my borla with no res is raspy as all hell. Stock cats. Im about to either put the both res back on or buy a resonated h or x pipe to subdue the excess rasp.

Maybe the stillen is different by design than the borla, or maybe I need to switch to x pipe. Im glad ive found a cheap welder in the area, because I **** with my exhaust way too much.

edit: Ok just reread it, you ran a x muffler. Cool, we are on the same page here. Any sound clips?

Last edited by -Trav-; 01-03-2012 at 12:56 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:07 AM
bikinilust

No sound clips....

There's a bunch of borla guys that have done the magnaflow resonated x pipe mod... there's even threads on it...that's where I got the idea...
Old 01-03-2012, 01:08 AM
bikinilust

I think there's sound clips on the threads I mentioned above
Old 01-09-2012, 01:49 PM
HarleyDobbs

Exhaust arrived today. Took at look at everything as far as quality and workmanship. Pics are attached.

As you can see the H-Pipe is built pretty well and it doesn't restrict flow at all. Welds appear to be in very good shape (flex pipe, h-pipe, flanges and muffler).

As far as the bung resonators, I am not going to mess with them. The H-pipe looks good so I'm sure the Bung Resonators are ok.
Attached Thumbnails M2 and Magnaflow Exhaust Build-full-shot.jpg   M2 and Magnaflow Exhaust Build-flange-weld.jpg   M2 and Magnaflow Exhaust Build-flex-pipe.jpg   M2 and Magnaflow Exhaust Build-gaskets.jpg   M2 and Magnaflow Exhaust Build-muffler.jpg  

Old 01-09-2012, 01:54 PM
HarleyDobbs

H-Pipe looking nice! I'll take some video with the exhaust without the x-pipe muffler and then one with. Should have all this set up welded up and one by Thursday and Vids by Saturday.

I would HATE to turn the car on, hear the exhaust, love it and not put the x-pipe muffler on! But we will see. I'm impressed with the construction of the exhaust and if it sounds the way it looks...the above might happen
Attached Thumbnails M2 and Magnaflow Exhaust Build-h-pipe.jpg   M2 and Magnaflow Exhaust Build-inside-h-pipe.jpg  
Old 01-11-2012, 12:17 AM
Itzcashew

Originally Posted by HarleyDobbs
H-Pipe looking nice! I'll take some video with the exhaust without the x-pipe muffler and then one with. Should have all this set up welded up and one by Thursday and Vids by Saturday.

I would HATE to turn the car on, hear the exhaust, love it and not put the x-pipe muffler on! But we will see. I'm impressed with the construction of the exhaust and if it sounds the way it looks...the above might happen
You can always sell it to me.

But yeah the M2 without the xpipe sounds more on the muscle car sound. It a glug glug glug sound but with the X pipe its quieter with a humming noise with the Z note back to life.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:44 AM
HarleyDobbs

Default Update

Exhaust has been installed and I should have some vids up very soon. Did have some alignment issues with the right side but all is well. Its below freezing here in MD and the Ravens are on so I should have vids up by the middle of the week.

I did not have the x-pipe installed yet. I am also looking at the Berk HFC and that is when I will more then likely have the x-pipe welded in to eliminate the rasp I will get.

Car is def faster, has a deep sound in the lower revs and then brightens up in the upper revs. You can hear the VQ note from 3.5k to about 5.5. Drone in the car is ok with me but might not work for others if ur not used to driving a car with exhaust everyday. Every car I've ever owned gets exhaust with in a month...no matter what it was! lol
Old 01-15-2012, 09:15 AM
rich2342

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

in for clips
Old 01-15-2012, 09:17 AM
Ronin82

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sound clips ???!!!!

Quick Reply: M2 and Magnaflow Exhaust Build