Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Catalytic Converter Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 03:32 PM
NISMO TOM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catalytic Converter Issues

I had this rattle coming from the bottom of my drivers side, and it ended up being a catalytic converter. Should I replace both or just the broken one? I've checked craigslist with no luck of finding another CAT, and I'm stuck on where to find one or a pair for that matter. I took it to a shop and they informed me that it was going to be well over $800 for a CAT and labor, so I decided to leave my car in the garage until I find a better price, and in the mean time drive my Ford Lightning . The guy at the shop also said that my car is from "California" and I live in WA state. I told him I was better off buying a full exhaust then paying for a CAT and install at his shop; and he said that because my car is California emissions it has the lowest power, worst MPG, and if I add an exhaust/ CAI my car wouldn't run good. Could some experts clear this up for me!
Old 03-15-2012, 03:40 PM
jaspendlove

I am not familiar with the Cali stuff. But you can buy some aftermarket high flow cats used from $250 to $400. I saw someone selling there stock cats for $220 in the market section.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:58 PM
harman850t5

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many miles do you have on the car? I think Nissan does it for free if its under 8 years and under 80k
Old 03-15-2012, 06:04 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You need to spend some time looking in this marketplace and realize that shop was trying to rip you off for stock cats:

https://my350z.com/forum/intake-426/

If you don't have to smog in your state you might as well go with Test Pipes or HFC's found in our vendor marketplace:

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-365/
Old 03-15-2012, 06:57 PM
PikesPeakZ

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NISMO TOM
I had this rattle coming from the bottom of my drivers side, and it ended up being a catalytic converter. Should I replace both or just the broken one? I've checked craigslist with no luck of finding another CAT, and I'm stuck on where to find one or a pair for that matter. I took it to a shop and they informed me that it was going to be well over $800 for a CAT and labor, so I decided to leave my car in the garage until I find a better price, and in the mean time drive my Ford Lightning . The guy at the shop also said that my car is from "California" and I live in WA state. I told him I was better off buying a full exhaust then paying for a CAT and install at his shop; and he said that because my car is California emissions it has the lowest power, worst MPG, and if I add an exhaust/ CAI my car wouldn't run good. Could some experts clear this up for me!
Your shop guy is an idiot. All Nissan 350z's are the same in the states. California emissions are aftermarket worries not factory spec. If you don't have emissions testing worries for that stuff then I would buy test pipes/hi flo cats and exhaust for that price (granted an inexpensive exhaust). Most exhaust are bolt on for our car so if you can get under you can do it. I'm by no means a mechanic and no problems with the swap in under 2 hours total. My father in law has a lift at his house though.

If it comes down to it I have a pair of stock 2003 cats.

Last edited by PikesPeakZ; 03-15-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:55 PM
NISMO TOM

Originally Posted by harman850t5
How many miles do you have on the car? I think Nissan does it for free if its under 8 years and under 80k
I got just hit 85k miles!
Old 03-18-2012, 01:16 PM
F2CMaDMaXX

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Plenty of people on here with stock cats in good condition they would sell (myself included) If you're only in washington, i don't think there is anything fancy up there emissions-wise.

Also, ditto on the bad info, these cars are all made in Japan, states spec is the same all over.