Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

so all in all... is JWT PopCharger the way to go? or kn filter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 09:36 AM
shimz350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so all in all... is JWT PopCharger the way to go? or kn filter?

i've been reading up on things and i was considering the simple k&n procedure=) but now...jwtpopcharger seemed to be better? cmon guys preach to me!...the stock intake is good enough so for all you stock intake owners preach to me!

"be like water"
Old 01-12-2004, 11:31 AM
350zdanny

I'm positive that in real life conditions you'll be better off with an injen CAI, or a Nismo if you live in flood prone areas. That said, I'd go with the JWT and a decent heat shield before I would get a simple K&N drop in filter.

My humble opinion.
Old 01-12-2004, 12:18 PM
mofoz

i just installed an Injen CAI and i have to say i love it. The sound is incredible. I did install it at the same time with the nismo exhaust, so both sound great together, and i could notice a little more pull from both the mods, and the grounding kit doesnt hurt either. The sound combo doesnt get any better.
Old 01-12-2004, 12:47 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow,

If anything for real world driving you do NOT want the Injen... There is no water diverter any where to be seen or added..

The AEM / NISMO Cold Air Intake can be used with Water Diverters... The NISMO comes standard with one and the AEM can have a diverter added for around 50 bux.

The JWT Pop Charger does not have to worry about any water intake since it is placed up in the engine bay.
Old 01-12-2004, 01:01 PM
VandyZ

I am enjoying the JWT. I showed a small dyno increase between the JWT and my drop in K&N filter. I don’t know how the JWT performs at speed compared to the sealed air box, but it does sound good. Here is the dyno comparison. The only difference is the filter
Attached Thumbnails so all in all... is JWT PopCharger the way to go? or kn filter?-dyno.jpg  
Old 01-12-2004, 01:03 PM
VandyZ

sorry for the crappy image. oh well you get the point! Its under 2 hp which really cant be creditable dyno number resolution for a swap out mod. I mean someone could break wind and the dyno show a hp from the added gas in the air.
Old 01-12-2004, 02:56 PM
fdao

Originally posted by VandyZ
I mean someone could break wind and the dyno show a hp from the added gas in the air.
Old 01-12-2004, 02:58 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by fdao
I gotta full CH4 set up in my car...
Old 01-12-2004, 04:55 PM
MyZ4U2C

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Popcharger has shown more gains than Injen CAI or AEM CAI. Popcharger retains the stock intake tube which is plastic and superior to any of the aftermarket ones.
Old 01-12-2004, 06:51 PM
mofoz

Originally posted by Jason@Performance
Wow,

If anything for real world driving you do NOT want the Injen... There is no water diverter any where to be seen or added..
For me to hydrolock my engine it would be pretty impressive, because i have the stillen matte finish grille and and the splash guard underneathe. Chicago doesnt really flood, and if its raining that bad i can drive another car. I think the hydrolock thing is played up a little to much. Correct me im wrong, but the entire filter has to be drenched with water before the engine will suck up water. To be honest i dont know how the entire filter would get covered especially the back of the filter. I have only heard of one person hydrolocking their engine, and they drove through a huge puddle, claiming it was about 12inches deep at least.

Last edited by mofoz; 01-12-2004 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-12-2004, 07:01 PM
AL350Z

Been there, done that!

The cone does pretty much have to be submerged in water for the engine to create enough suction to ingest water. A little common sense and you will stay out of trouble.
Old 01-12-2004, 07:13 PM
350zdanny

Read my post before you get all high and mighty on me.

I'm positive that in real life conditions you'll be better off with an injen CAI, or a Nismo if you live in flood prone areas.
Gee, I did say NISMO IF YOU LIVE IN FLOOD PRONE AREAS. Why do you think I'd say that? Maybe because I know 1) The Nismo comes with a bypass valve, but 2) The filter position is not as good as the Injen if you live in San Diego, or the middle of the desert, or in relatively flat areas with little chance of standing water greater than 3 inches.

I'm not sure if you made these comments because you only sell the Nismo or because you just wanted to make me look like an idiot, but whatever.

Shim -

I'm using a thermal insulator for the Injen top tube, which pretty much makes it comparable to the stock tube. There are two possible reasons I can think of as to why the JWT might show slightly better gains on the dyno over the Injen or Nismo/AEM. 1) JWT retains the plastic top tube that resists heat much better than the metal top tubes used by every manufactururer of a CAI. A thermal insulator will most likely help. 2) Some claim that the benefits of a CAI are not fullly realized on the dyno because the CAI's take in much cooler air when the car is in motion. Seems logical but I haven't run any tests and I don't plan to.

Ultimately, I bought my intakes because they looked and sounded much better than stock. I recommend you get an intake that you like. The all function well and you're not going to see an earth shattering gain either way. Good luck.

Dan
Old 01-12-2004, 07:18 PM
FLY BY Z

Someone did a moving test and the popcharger was cooler and took in more air than other CAIs.
Old 01-12-2004, 07:38 PM
350zdanny

I found that test you mentioned. Do you think the results could have been skewed by the mass air sensor? Perhaps it takes some time to note changes.

It may be right that both the Nismo/AEM and Injen take in the same amount of air, because they are of similar design and use the same filter, but I would think the JWT would take in more air if the stock tube is superior.
Old 01-12-2004, 08:02 PM
shimz350z

thx guys for the input.=) what a collaboration=)
Old 01-12-2004, 08:44 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

too much skeptisism on all sides with the best possible scenario being what? 3hp?

Id love to have gotten a CAI; they are just a simple first mod; less expensive than exhausts and the like. but so far; just havent seen how they are worth it. pulleys have solid gains for about 60$ more. plenum for 160$ more. and your not hoping to maybe get 3hp.

just my 2 cents from a stock intake guy.
Old 01-12-2004, 09:33 PM
350zdanny

You can have a pop charger for $120 or an AEM for around $200. They both add some visual flare and sound to the car.

I agree that UR pulleys give a good gain across the rev range. 5 whp for approximately $350 with belts is pretty good. I'm not sure where you're getting your numbers from, but that's no matter. The crawford plenum is probably the best mod to get right now (disclaimer: if it does what they say it does, which I believe it does). But that doesn't take away from the benefits of a good intake. JWT, or remaining stock in your case, might be the best bang for the buck, but AEM and Injen have their merits as well.
Old 01-12-2004, 09:38 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was going from what I remembered; bout 220-240 for injen or 300 for pulleys. I could and probably am off as you said. but still rather pay 350 for gaurenteed gains than "maybe" gains for 200.

the pop charger isnt so bad at 120; even if it doesnt do much; its cheap atleast.
Old 01-12-2004, 09:40 PM
350zdanny

Yea I agree with you on the proven gains. I was never a proponent of aesthetic mods (except for wheels), but the Z is powerful enough to keep me occupied and excited if I choose to waste a little money on sound or bling.
Old 01-12-2004, 09:41 PM
jeffrey

I prefer the sound and design of the K&N over the bunch mentioned here.

I personally don't like the Injen filter placement. It's just a really really bad idea (outside of water issues). Dirt, dust, sand, rocks, bugs, anything that can possibly get kicked up in front of your car and hit your (take a look at your radiator) will hit that filter and be stuck to it or sucked into it.

I had wanted the Injen for a bit there, but just couldn't get passed that filter placement; made no sense to me.

I've notied a fair amount of difference (nothing huge) in a few spots in the rev band (particularly 2nd gear around 4000rpm) where I've gained a little extra grunt with the K&N.

But honestly the design and sound are enough for me to stick with it. It's also one of the few that doesn't use the factory MAS mount; it's got it's own made out of aluminum that's welded into the intake tubing.

Quick Reply: so all in all... is JWT PopCharger the way to go? or kn filter?