Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

water leaking from Bassani exhaust joints

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 09:22 PM
godofswords

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question water leaking from Bassani exhaust joints

I just installed a Bassani exhaust on my 07 350z and I can't stop water from leaking from the slip joint/clamp areas. Today I spotted a new leak, from the X-pipe where it connects to one side of the cat. converter. Does this mean I have a leak or is this usual for this system? Thanks. After weeks of researching online I settled on Bassani but I'm so disappointed at the fitment now.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:28 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

When the engine/exhaust is cold, some condensed water, a by-product of combustion, may leak from the joints. No big deal, as long as it's not coolant. Once the engine/exhaust are hot, it will stay in vapor form and you'll never see it.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:50 PM
blue350zed

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If the leak is consistent, even after the engine is warmed up, the leak is coming from somewhere else. I agree with dcains, I get a minute or two of water spitting out my exhaust tips while it's warming up, but it stops after that.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:55 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

However...it's STILL leaking exhaust fumes, which increases the chances of getting CO into the car when it's sitting still with the engine running.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:14 AM
icer5160

Received 440 Likes on 335 Posts

I had the same problem with my Bassani system after I had it installed(2006 350Z). Basically it's a manufacturing defect with the welds on the flanges. Luckily Z Car Garage(who did the install) was willing to fix the problem free of charge. My leak was centered around the X-pipe where it couples with the down-pipe/cats. A little grinding was needed for the joint/flanges to meet flush with that cats. After that was done, no more leaks, everything works great.

I noticed the same symptoms, it only leaked when the engine was cold. After it warmed up the leak visually disappeared(no more dripping water). However it really started to worry me when the seasonal rains came. Whenever I hit a puddle on the freeway, I could hear this weird noise coming from under the driver's seat(very loud and noticeable power loss). I believe water was getting in the exhaust system due to the leak or something like that. It's hard to describe, but I would get it taken care of ASAP.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:29 PM
godofswords

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for everyone's input. I appreciate it. At least I felt better now. I do noticed that water stops sipping through once the system becomes hot. My only concern is whether it's also leaking exhaust fumes. I spoke to a Bassani support staff who assured me it's normal and no air is leaking. He stated all exhaust pipes including my stock leaks water but I have never seen it before, not from the joints anyway, yes from the tips. I'll keep an eye and ear on it for any change in sound and performance. Will look for a reputable muffler shop locally to take it in. Live a couple hours from the Z garage.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:53 PM
icer5160

Received 440 Likes on 335 Posts

On a side note: It is true that exhaust systems should have a "seep hole" for proper water drainage, maybe the Bassani support rep. was referring to this. Typically though the buildup of water is centered around the mufflers/resonators, not your x-pipe/cats and that is where the "seep hole" would be located. There should be more than enough pressure produced by the engine running to prevent water vapor from condensing and pooling around your cats/x-pipe.

Personally though, I'm not worried about it. The Bassani system is all stainless steel and it should last for the life of the car given it's not operated in a salty area(beach towns and snow towns). It's still one of the best exhaust systems I could recommend for the Z. It maintains the factory look and appeal(sleeper status), gives "real" power gains, and just sounds amazing. If you were setting up for turbo applications then this wouldn't be the ideal system, but it's an excellent choice for superchargers or just NA drivers like myself.