Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

UPDATE on the plastic PLENUM, plus I need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004 | 09:25 PM
lsdunique

Default UPDATE on the plastic PLENUM, plus I need opinions

We did some fitting today with our prototype to make sure the strut bar could be retained.

Everything went very smoothly today, the factory strut bar will clear fine. We also got everything situated so that the engine cover will as well fit, which we were very happy with!!

We actually had more room than we had previously thought in terms of adding more air to the front cylinders, while clearing the strut bar. When the prototype is done I will post pics and a description of how much volume we added to the front and how we did it.

Some bad news, and this is where I need opinions. We also did fitting with the JIC bar, which did not go so smoothly. The JIC bar is about twice as wide as the factory strut bar, and just as thick. So as it stands, the plenum will not work with the JIC bar. We can make it work....but this may require a small setback and also the overall plenum will not be as cosmetically appealing.

We worked out the cosmetic design of the plenum and we think you all will like it if not love it.

So, my question is how many of you run the JIC bar? , how important is it that the plenum be compatible with the JIC bar? If you had to make a choice, would not being able to use the JIC bar sway you from purchasing a plenum?

As it stands, I am not changing the design and the JIC bar will not fit, and I will need to be convinced otherwise.
Old 01-22-2004 | 09:34 PM
seanrulz

Great news!
The only reason that kept me away from Crawfords Plenum was due to the fact that I have to replace the factory STB and it was not cosmetically appealing. Since I have a stock STB, nothing matters to me as long as it has a solid gain.
Old 01-22-2004 | 09:44 PM
jesseenglish

I doubt that there are enough people running the JIC bar to justify the additional manufacturing costs of designing a different plenum. Out of those people, how many are actually thinking about buying a plenum?

Plus if it degrades the plenum cosmetically or performance wise by designing in a JIC element, how many people will decide not to buy your plenum.
Old 01-22-2004 | 10:00 PM
vfr350

It needs to look UGLY, and if its not ulgy, then it doesn't make power. Please, how does it look under my hood???? People are so lame here, Oh I won't buy it if my factory cover doesn't fit.............
Old 01-22-2004 | 10:08 PM
TheLex

I vote for having the plastic plenum clear the factor bar. IMHO you'll sell most of the plenums to people with stock bars.
Old 01-22-2004 | 10:09 PM
mofoz

dont worry about the jic strut bar, cause its not worth it. Very few JIC strut bars are replacing the stock strut bar, considering its pretty decent. As far as cosmetics go, i would love to have this plenum look nice AND perform well, which seems to be your guys' goal, which is awesome. But performance > looks but lets have the best of both worlds Lets pump these bad boys out ASAP. Thanks for the updates
Old 01-22-2004 | 10:16 PM
TheLex

I seem to remember the original plastic plenum prototype as being pretty good looking.
Old 01-22-2004 | 10:29 PM
vfr350

Just give us something that works. Yes I still have a stock strut bar. Power doesn't have to =Pretty. OMG
Old 01-22-2004 | 10:44 PM
ChrisM

I say just stick with how it is right now. People will have to just think ahead before they buy a strut bar. You shouldnt have to make your product fit other companys products. I think as long as it works with the stock setup, you will sell more of thies things than you can make.

Chris.
Old 01-22-2004 | 11:29 PM
daytona350zr

I also think you should go ahead with the design for the stock bar, more people like myself have the stock bar and I don't plan to get the JIC bar.
Old 01-22-2004 | 11:52 PM
little_rod

Think the general consensus here will be to keep what you have and forget the JIC bar. Now gets us some pics and numbers on this plastic plenum and on the other plenum too!!
Old 01-22-2004 | 11:52 PM
DeeZee

lets look at it like this. those of you with the jic bar got it because it was pretty, right? what sence would it make to produce an ugly plenum to go with your pretty stb? none at all! i think the guys with the jic stb will go back to stock to keep the plenum looking clean! i think there are going to be ALOT of jic stb's in the classifiedes soon! and i dont see the jic users hurting your buissnes, in fact i think less jic stb's are going to be sold because of your new plenum! if i realy want a "pretty" stb, ill paint it! i cant see how it is better than stock performance wise. lets face it, this new plenum wont be for everyone! and those people who dont want one.........can buy your old jic stb's! you might even be able to work out a trade for their stock bars?? just a thought. thanks again lsdunique for all your hard work on this mod!! i cant wait till its released! (will there be a GB? i cant remember if you mentioned one????)
Old 01-23-2004 | 12:36 AM
mchapman

I dont use or do I want the JIC bar. I do however want a plenum that works and fits under the stock bar.

P.S Good work getting it under the stock bar.

Thanks
Murray
Old 01-23-2004 | 12:46 AM
Z8M

If there's a solid gain and retains the factory strut bar, that's all that really matters to me. I would've bought the Crawford plenum long time ago if it fits with the stock bar. Looks are not that important to me so long as it function well. Besides I don't think the Crawford plenum is that good looking. So when is this thing coming out? Put me on the list..
Old 01-23-2004 | 12:55 AM
joust75

Who cares about the JIC bar? There is no point in replacing the factory bar with it other than looks!

The Crawford Plenum is selling well and cant be used with either STB.

If it does not bother Crawford, then you shouldnt worry about it, especially since people are only worried about retaining the stock STB.

Good luck! We can't wait for dynos!

PS Uhhh , how bout a teaser pic? C'mon weve waited patiently for a long time!!!!
Old 01-23-2004 | 12:58 AM
teh215

No JIC bar for me now or ever.
Old 01-23-2004 | 01:01 AM
apex locator

heres another vote for keeping the current design of the plastic plenum to fit w/ the stock stb. WAY more people w/ stock stb than jic.
Old 01-23-2004 | 01:21 AM
apsilon

I'm with the others, forget JIC. Work with what everyone already has.
Old 01-23-2004 | 02:31 AM
myinfinitig20

teaser pic indeed!
Old 01-23-2004 | 02:42 AM
350Z_Redline

Forget the JIC, keep what you currently have and post some pics.

Quick Reply: UPDATE on the plastic PLENUM, plus I need opinions