Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Question about Exhaust..

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 02:30 PM
michaelmoon912

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Exhaust..

Ok, so recently one of my oem cats cracked right at the weld on the support brace and put a nice crack in the cat itself started throwing the p1283 code blah blah, they have about 120k on them so im not sure if it was due to the stress of the y pipe that was on there, or my exhaust system, or just because they were old as ****. The cats were fine until i put the aftermarket Y on there, which leads me to believe it was that that may have pushed them over the edge.

Im ordering some berks this friday to replace them and i was wondering if the y pipe i have will crack them because im not sure if the one i put on is the reason why the stock ones cracked or not.

I have attached pictures of the busted cat, and the y pipe that i had on there but took off after the oem cats cracked, de stocker is on the car atm.

The Ypipe i have is similar in design to the Nismo Y correct? I'm just worried about cracking the new high flows, and idk if running stock y pipe with the high flows would kill some flow more than running the aftermarket pipe. And im hoping if this aftermarket y pipe is the culprit for cracking the OEM's that i wont run ionto problems with the oem y pipe on the new cats, and hopefully my exhaust isnt too tight as a whole -_-

Exhaust is an N1 single to dual exit replica.

Just looking for some advice.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Question about Exhaust..-imag0081.jpg   Question about Exhaust..-img_20130525_184720.jpg   Question about Exhaust..-img_20130525_184736.jpg  

Last edited by michaelmoon912; 05-27-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:48 PM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you are over thinking the whole deal.Your OEM cats prolly cracked
because it was just old.Personally I don't think its a good practice to piece stuff
together(especially components in a exhaust system).You never know what
you are gonna wnd up with.That saying,I'm thinking you are gonna be OK with your
Y pipe.If you have the bucks I'd spring for XYZ pipe.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:02 PM
michaelmoon912

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JCITY
I think you are over thinking the whole deal.Your OEM cats prolly cracked
because it was just old.Personally I don't think its a good practice to piece stuff
together(especially components in a exhaust system).You never know what
you are gonna wnd up with.That saying,I'm thinking you are gonna be OK with your
Y pipe.If you have the bucks I'd spring for XYZ pipe.
Yeah i tend to do that alot lol, things like this bug the crap out of me.

Im hoping the y pipe will be fine. Hopefully the cats wont crack, and they will fit okay. I agree its not a good practice to fall into but its been a learning experience for me for sure lol. Thanks for the reply!

I was looking at the xyz pipe too and im probably going to be ordering one in the near future with the straight piece on it, i just have a feeling the one i have now is gonna gnaw at the back of my mind lol.

Last edited by michaelmoon912; 05-27-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:06 AM
Phenom
Toasty

Received 1,382 Likes on 990 Posts

If you're worried about cracking you won't have any issues with berk non resonated test pipes if you're willing to run no cats.