Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Exotic sounding exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 09:46 PM
phile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exotic sounding exhaust

I visited the 350z site that has various exhaust sound clips...But I still am wondering about your opinions. I've heard people complain that the Borla sound too muscle-carish, and I've heard other complain that some sound too japanese tuner style. So my question is, which exhaust sounds the most Exotic to you guys?

Actually, I was also wondering which exhuast shows the biggest power gains currently (independently dynoed of course).

I guess the criteria I'm looking for is:
Biggest power gain period, and biggest power gain without being obscenely loud.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:20 PM
Street Visionz, Inc.
Banned

I'd say the most exotic sounding is the tommy kaira exhaust or the amuse r1 titanium. Unfortunately it seems like no one can get the tommy kaira exhaust......
Old 01-27-2004, 12:40 AM
auburnjosh

where was that site that had the exhaust sound clips?
Old 01-27-2004, 02:42 AM
Sz28r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exhaust clips - - - > http://www.everything350z.com/exhaust.html

I went with Nismo and am very pleased - - to each his own.
Old 01-27-2004, 03:27 AM
FairladyZ

1. 5Zigen - Miracre Fireball
2. 5Zigen
3. Nismo
4. Nissan - Stock
5. Stillen

Those are the best sounding exhuasts I would pick in that order. It goes way downhill from there.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:01 AM
drivenCSZ

I think the Nismo and Fujitsubo legalis sound the best although there almost the same i believe. Most people swear by the power and exotic sound of the Nismo, i think thta would be your best bet... by the way IMO the tips on the fujitsubo are so much sweeter.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:20 AM
ttsupra94

R*SR
Old 01-27-2004, 10:21 AM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

The ultimate answer here is: Depends what you consider exotic?

A high pitched F1 sounding ferrari sounds a LOT different than a meaner grunting porsche 911. I don't think the borla sounds makes the car sound like a V8 detroit car. With high-flow cats, my borla sounds pretty much on par with my friend's porsche 996 with oem sport exhaust.

In my opinion of exotic, I'd suggest the nismo. It's got more of a melodious tone to it.

I haven't heard the RS*R or 5Zigen at all, but I can say that the Injen SES sounds buzzy. Like a 4-cyl import tuner car.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:09 AM
ChrisMCagle

Default A'PEXi N1?

Does anyone have the A'PEXi N1 exhaust? I am leaning toward getting that over the Injen (mainly due to price), but I definitely DON'T want a fart can sound. I have heard the Injen in person and think that it sounds WAY better than the Borla which I thought sounded exactly like my stock exhaust. I guess that everyone hears things differently, but I am curious about the A'PEXi N1's.

-Chrismcagle
Old 01-27-2004, 06:03 PM
phile

Originally posted by zxsaint
The ultimate answer here is: Depends what you consider exotic?

A high pitched F1 sounding ferrari sounds a LOT different than a meaner grunting porsche 911. I don't think the borla sounds makes the car sound like a V8 detroit car. With high-flow cats, my borla sounds pretty much on par with my friend's porsche 996 with oem sport exhaust.

In my opinion of exotic, I'd suggest the nismo. It's got more of a melodious tone to it.

I haven't heard the RS*R or 5Zigen at all, but I can say that the Injen SES sounds buzzy. Like a 4-cyl import tuner car.
I would definitely consider a porsche exotic. Maybe not the boxter though Anyways, I love the sound of the Borla. What kind of high-flow cats do you have?

Here's a question for anyone who can answer. Borla has some of the best gains right? How do they manage to only sell them for 700 bucks?
Old 01-27-2004, 06:13 PM
shimz350z

Obayashi (Styleking K)...=)
Old 01-27-2004, 07:45 PM
Brad4rdHay

The NISMO soudns like a louder stock exhaust...the stock exhaust hase a nice melody at around 4000RPMS and the NISMo takes that and amplifies it. It sounds alot like the G35 exhaust really, which sounds better than th Z IMO.

Borla takes the stock sound, and adds another, deeper tone below it...so it sounds really nice, not quite as distinct as the NISMO, but it sounds just as good.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:24 PM
350zdanny

Here's a question for anyone who can answer. Borla has some of the best gains right? How do they manage to only sell them for 700 bucks?
I'm guessing they take advantage of some serious economies of scale. And they have experience making power on a host of platforms. I guess it rounds out to a nice package.

I'm interested in that Tommy Kaira exhaust or the 5zigen. I have not heard those at all yet. The Amuse R1 is my reigning exotic sounding exhaust, but christ is it expensive!
Old 01-27-2004, 08:49 PM
phile

Originally posted by 350zdanny
Amuse R1 is my reigning exotic sounding exhaust, but christ is it expensive!
How much does it run?

Btw, the Tommy Kaira exhuast sound is on this site. There are two of them actually:

http://www.everything350z.com/exhaust.html

Go toward the bottom
Old 01-27-2004, 08:56 PM
350zdanny

Oh sweet, thanks.

The R1 is full titanium. It goes for around $2k. And the Amuse y-pipe is not included in that price. I think the Amuse is also the best looking exhaust, but that price is hard for anyone to swallow.

Dan
Old 01-27-2004, 09:56 PM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Originally posted by phile
Well, borla makes exhaust systems for many cars. They basically did some R&D on the Z and produce it based on existing parts. Low cost for them, low price.

The nismo actually rebrands and sells a custom exhaust system designed for the Z. It's got better overall quality, and IMHO, is designed for maximum efficiency when used with nismo headers.

I'm not going with headers, so the borla met my needs perfectly.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:17 AM
phile

Originally posted by 350zdanny
Oh sweet, thanks.

The R1 is full titanium. It goes for around $2k. And the Amuse y-pipe is not included in that price. I think the Amuse is also the best looking exhaust, but that price is hard for anyone to swallow.

Dan
No problem

...$2k huh For an exhaust, that is very hard to swallow. I'm assuming it's among the highest in performance gains?

Originally posted by zxsaint
The nismo actually rebrands and sells a custom exhaust system designed for the Z. It's got better overall quality, and IMHO, is designed for maximum efficiency when used with nismo headers.

I'm not going with headers, so the borla met my needs perfectly.
So you're saying nismo exhuast when combined with nismo headers would yield higher hp than borla exhuast with nismo headers?

Does anyone have borla exhuast with some other headers (stillen, etc) that outperforms the nismo ex/hdrs combo?
Old 01-28-2004, 11:24 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nismo still my fav...

running it with test pipes fora day before my accident... loved it still..
Old 01-28-2004, 11:45 AM
phile

Originally posted by Jason@Performance
nismo still my fav...

running it with test pipes fora day before my accident... loved it still..
I just listened to a bunch of sound clips. The first set of clips are all recorded in a similar fashion, so I could go between the stock and nismo clip. The nismo sounds like an amplified version of the stock exhuast. This is not a bad thing, I think it sounds very nice. I can't decide what I want actually. I am going to have to dig up some other borla clips because I can't really hear the exhuast at higher rpms based on the clip. The 5Zigen exhuast sounds really nice too...does anyone know the claimed performance, or if it has been independently dynoed? I don't want an exhuast that is too loud....does the 5Zigen fireball exhasut fall under that category?

I need to go look at prices before anything , I just thought of that, haha.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:46 AM
350zdanny

Nismo does not produce the best gains and it really won't create any synergy with the Nismo headers.

That said, I'm not sure that the Amuse would produce any better gains, it's just a great deal lighter and better looking. It's not worth the money IMHO, but that wouldn't stop me from buying it.

I'm sure you'd be happy with the Nismo. It's not that much more expensive than the Borla.

Quick Reply: Exotic sounding exhaust