Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Kinetix Prototype Plenum Photos - HERE!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 07:04 AM
ChrisMCagle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Awwww

Originally posted by all_bark
before I post the next pic of the plenums with the inside up I want to thank ChrisMCagle for these two photos as I, in my mad rush to leave the house at 7:45 saturday morning for the dyno shop, left my digital camera picture card (not the camera but the card that goes in it!) at home. Also, Chris, his wife and Alang helped me out as well, making my time at the dyno shop swapping plenums much more enjoyable. Thanks...

If this has any bearing lsd, put those guys up on top of the list if they are interested in getting one once it is fully tested and ready (not that I carry any weight though! )
Thanks and your'e welcome. I'm glad that I could help out and I'll definitely be the first, or well.. one of the first people in line with cash in hand when this plenum is made available!

-Chrismcagle
Old 02-04-2004, 11:33 AM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

Originally posted by KJY9
Thanks...that's what I wanted to see.
I'll stick with my Crawford plenum without any airflow disturbances for the strut bar placement.
If only Crawford plenum doesn't require exchange with the stock plenum... most people would rather keep the stock plenum just incase they will need it someday, and also the stb..
Old 02-04-2004, 12:37 PM
KJY9

Originally posted by Apexi350z
If only Crawford plenum doesn't require exchange with the stock plenum... most people would rather keep the stock plenum just incase they will need it someday, and also the stb..
And this plenum I'm sure will satisfy those types of people.
I was merely making a statement that I'd rather have a new strut bar and no cover than have a plenum with a dip in it that's going to disrupt the airflow.
I'm certain that some will argue that the disruption is negligible...but you're talking about an intake manifold that is "supposed" to be designed for better flow. IMO, the Crawford still gives the cleanest flow.
Just my .02
Old 02-04-2004, 01:30 PM
350zdanny

I was merely making a statement that I'd rather have a new strut bar and no cover than have a plenum with a dip in it that's going to disrupt the airflow.
I'm certain that some will argue that the disruption is negligible...but you're talking about an intake manifold that is "supposed" to be designed for better flow. IMO, the Crawford still gives the cleanest flow.
Just my .02
You gotta give LSD the benefit of the doubt until he does actually put it on the flow bench though, particularly because most of us haven't seen what exactly the dip looks like. I'm looking forward to the flow bench.

Dan
Old 02-04-2004, 01:35 PM
ChrisMCagle

Default Minimal difference

Just my .02
Even though there is an indentation for the strut bar the space inside the plenum in that location is still greater than the stock plenum. The flow characteristics are only one part of a plenum's design. Volume of air is the other part. More space means you get a greater volume of air into the engine and in turn, more power.

-Chrismcagle
Old 02-04-2004, 01:45 PM
KJY9

Default Re: Minimal difference

Originally posted by ChrisMCagle
Even though there is an indentation for the strut bar the space inside the plenum in that location is still greater than the stock plenum. The flow characteristics are only one part of a plenum's design. Volume of air is the other part. More space means you get a greater volume of air into the engine and in turn, more power.

-Chrismcagle
Yes, but you have no idea whatsoever how that dip is going to effect the airflow and turbulance.
Old 02-04-2004, 01:48 PM
KJY9

Originally posted by 350zdanny
You gotta give LSD the benefit of the doubt until he does actually put it on the flow bench though, particularly because most of us haven't seen what exactly the dip looks like. I'm looking forward to the flow bench.

Dan
Ohh I wasn't busting chops on the design at all. I was merely stating that it's not what I want on my ride. People that know me know that I'm not interested in "show" or "bling"....I'm interested in function. I think he brought a great design to the table on the plenum and it offers another choice now where we had only one before....just nothing I'm particularly interested in, that's all
Old 02-04-2004, 01:55 PM
ChrisMCagle

Default Re: Re: Minimal difference

Yes, but you have no idea whatsoever how that dip is going to effect the airflow and turbulance.
Your'e right. I don't.

Hopefully soon though, we all will know.

-Chrismcagle
Old 02-04-2004, 05:42 PM
slaponte

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A little turbulance might not be a bad thing, just like a little backpreassure on your exhaust might not be a bad thing either...

Let the dynos show the results.

A product is for a market. Even if a there is a pony or two diff, some customers might want to give that up and keep their OEM bar, etc... it is a matter of preference.

In the end, more options is better for everybody.
Old 02-04-2004, 06:27 PM
JAG

Originally posted by slaponte
A little turbulance might not be a bad thing, just like a little backpreassure on your exhaust might not be a bad thing either...
First off... your spelling is WAY off.

Second... your knowledge is even FARTHER off.

SMOOTH AS POSSIBLE. Turbulance is VERY bad.

Honestly that design looks like it is increasing air capacity to the rear runners, but still leaving the front the same as stock.

HONESTLY - the 30% difference Crawford found on the flowbench... I see increasing to even an even WORSE balance with this plenum. Possible leaning out problems? Detonation?

Looks good, poor design. I wouldn't touch this.
Old 02-04-2004, 06:50 PM
lsdunique

I don't really have a response to this last post.

Although, unless I am completely mistaken, volume to the front cylinders has been increased while keeping volume in the rear the same.

I have answered as many posts as honestly and politely as possible.

thanks for the input
Old 02-04-2004, 07:01 PM
JAG

Originally posted by lsdunique
I don't really have a response to this last post.

Although, unless I am completely mistaken, volume to the front cylinders has been increased while keeping volume in the rear the same.

I have answered as many posts as honestly and politely as possible.

thanks for the input
The dip that you have added for the strutbar lowers the chamber to EXACTLY that of the OEM plenum. Even worse - RIGHT where the front cylinders are.

Increasing the pressure before the fronts could potentially make the imbalance FAR WORSE!!!!

Explain to me how you have increased volume to the cylinders which need it the most, but shoving a HUGE DIP RIGHT in the path of air?!?!?!

Sir, based on this you have made it worse.

It looks like you took a design, threw together a mold... and hope it works.

No offense, I commend you for taking and already working product and attempting to bring something new to the market. Though honestly, your expertise in terms of flow dynamics seems to be limited.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:13 PM
slaponte

Know what, Jag? I have other lsd parts (installed on my car), and the workmanship is EXCELENT and they perform as promissed.

While, in turn, I have NONE of yours... so far, only an opinion. And we know about those.

Sorry for the spelling, I save that for MyEnglishWebSite.com...

Maybe you missed the part where he explained how the decrease the thickness of the material at the dip so that the effect inside is not as great... ah, never mind. Wasted bandwith.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:15 PM
lsdunique

I believe I had posted earlier, maybe not in this thread the design that allowed for the increase in volume without losing the strut bar.

I will post again.

At the lowest point of my new plenum (the peak of the dip if flipped over) this point is actually only .25" lower than plenum ceiling. So, while in photos it may seem like a large dip because the shape makes it contrast to the smooth underside, it is actually a very small and gradual dip. This dip only sits .25" lower for a width of about .25" before transitioning to the normal level.

The plenum ceiling, at the front section (above the furthest forward cylinder) resides 1" higher than the factory plenum.

So, even at its lowest point (the dip) it is still .75" higher than factory at the same point.

Also, to assure there is no turbulence, we have made sure to include a very smooth transitions that are under 9 degrees, which is the maximum redirection angle without causing turbulence. We actually could have made the dip smaller in width, but that would have made the angles more than 9 degrees.

So, I apologize for not making the design specs more readily known, so neither of us is wrong and we think we have a great design.

Let me know if there is something else you would like to know about the design and I will try to answer.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:17 PM
JAG

Flow bench numbers?

Big investment to not be able to provide these.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:20 PM
JPizzle

When the dyno goes up, all these "nay sayers" will hopefully be put to rest
Old 02-04-2004, 07:25 PM
slaponte

I just don't get it. Everything LSD has sold so far has been quality stuff that performs as advertised and at a good price. WHat does a vendor have to do to show they are doing right by their customers??!! By this point, his reputation is enough for me to believe he is doing the right thing.

Not to say how he shares so much of the development process, problem areas, specs, etc... not many vendors do that.

I think by now he deserves a little more respect. The jury is still out on the plenum, but I expect it will be as good a product as we have come to expect from him.

The camber arms are a work of art. Too bad they are under the car... :-)
Old 02-04-2004, 07:27 PM
lsdunique

We will be posting all numbers before the official release, which will include flow differences between front and rear cylinders.

We will also be posting any intake air temperature differences, dynos, etc.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:36 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

lots of naysaying going on from alot of armchair quarterbacks it seems.

Easiest way, put both on the flow bench...the SAME flowbench, and measure it independantly vs stock.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:37 PM
lsdunique

We did a quick surface temperature test today.

10 minutes freeway driving followed by a parked idle for 30 minutes with the hood completely closed.

factory plenum 155 degrees farenheit

same procedure

plastic plenum 125 degrees farenheit

The temperatures were taken dead center on the outside surface of the top of the plenum, right about 1 inch below the logo.

Quick Reply: Kinetix Prototype Plenum Photos - HERE!!!!!