Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Kinetix cats installed today!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 03:10 PM
03 Z for ME

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kinetix cats installed today!!!

Just wanted to throw a "thanks" out to Lsdunique. I installed my Kinetix cats today. I love them. Before anyone asks, no I didn't dyno them, sorry.

I can tell you that they weight about 1/2 of what the stock cats weigh. I have the Borla True Dual, and with the Kinetix cats, I didn't hear any noticable difference in the sound of the exhaust. (For me, that's a good thing.)

I did the install myself with a set of jackstands. It did take me about 5 hours, but only because I had to "custom bend" the heat shield on the drivers side.

For anyone doing the install themselves, learn from my "mistake" Make certain EVERYTHING fits back together properly before you tighten it all up. I had the cats in place and the Borla hooked back up. I decided to tighten everything up nice and snug. Finally, I go to place the cross support on, and what do you know, it won't fit... I had to loosen up the cats again, then put on the support bracket. Finally I tightened everything down again.

For those of you who don't know. Lsdunique made me a "custom" set of cats with extra bungs for Wideband O2 sensors. I don't currently have the cash to install a wideband, but wanted to be able to let my dyno tuner use the extra bungs for tuning. The cats have the extra bungs as well as plugs that even after installed are easily accessible. I simply put some anti seize on the plug threads and tightened them down for now.

After the install I took the Z for a test drive. I drove about 50 miles at various RPMs. I am CERTAIN I didn't lose anything in the bottom end. My Butt Dyno isn't sensative enough to tell you how many hp I gained in the upper PRM range though. I can't wait for the spring to get here. Time to take the Z back to the track and see what she does. (I know I shaved a few pounds in nothing else by replacing the stock HEAVY cats.)

After driving around, I can say that the ONLY thing I notice is that when I am up around 6500 PRM and lift off the throttle, I get a very short, quick little buzz. At no other time do these cats buzz. I drove at all different RPMs and over smooth highway and bumpy backroads. These cats are a quality product.

Thank you again Lsdunique!

Last edited by 03 Z for ME; 02-08-2004 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-08-2004, 03:15 PM
jjellyneck

Default Re: Kinetix cats installed today!!!

Very nice. So you didn't really hear any additional noise by adding the cats? I've been told that you'll need to put on 100-200 miles or so before the ECU adapts and then you'll feel more power.
Old 02-08-2004, 03:50 PM
Ultimateone

So did you notice any power gains? in the top end?
Old 02-09-2004, 09:40 AM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

03 Z for ME, please post back with more impressions after a few days of driving.

Mine took about 2 days to make a change.
Old 02-09-2004, 10:02 AM
TheBigShow

zx, would u give yours 2 thumbs up? cats will probly b my next mod, so i'm tryin to gather some more impressions.
Old 02-09-2004, 10:58 AM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Originally posted by TheBigShow
zx, would u give yours 2 thumbs up? cats will probly b my next mod, so i'm tryin to gather some more impressions.
My Review
Old 02-09-2004, 11:40 AM
Phatmitzu

Default Re: Kinetix cats installed today!!!

Originally posted by 03 Z for ME
...It did take me about 5 hours, but only because I had to "custom bend" the heat shield on the drivers side...
Why? Fitment problems? I thought LSD revised it... Mine should arrive anytime now...
Old 02-09-2004, 12:42 PM
03 Z for ME

Default Re: Re: Kinetix cats installed today!!!

Originally posted by Phatmitzu
Why? Fitment problems? I thought LSD revised it... Mine should arrive anytime now...
There really are no fitment problems. I made the mistake of assuming that after I had the Cats in place and the exhaust attached that I could tighten everything up. Well, AFTER I tightened all the bolts up, I then tried to put the cross support back on, and in no way would it fit. I had to loosen up all the bolts again, attach the cross support then tighten it all again. The bolt on the drivers side by the steering linkage is a PAIN in the ****. I couldn't get on it (and turn it) with just a ratchet, my short extension was too short (I still hit the steering linkage) and the long extension was too long (I hit the INJEN Heat shield.) I wound up using a short entension with a "universial joint" attachment. (Sorry I'm not sure that's the Proper terminology.)

ALso, tightening everything back up AFTER the support was back on, made it again more difficult to get to all the upper bolts. If I did it agian, I could do it much quicker. Remember, I am not a mechanic, I turn a few bolts here and there fun fun, but I've never actually got into any engine internals.
Old 02-09-2004, 12:45 PM
03 Z for ME

Originally posted by zxsaint
03 Z for ME, please post back with more impressions after a few days of driving.

Mine took about 2 days to make a change.
Unfortunately for me, my Z is garaged for the winter. IT was a really nice day, so I brought her out and put the cats on. I did a 50 mile test drive then packed her back up in in the garage again.

In two weeks (barring any more snow storms) I am driving her from PA to New Orleans for Mardi Gras. I plan on changing the MT fluid to Redline before I go. I have it on order and I should have another nice day or two before I leave.

When I get back I'll report my full 2500+ mile trip. (Hopefully have a few PG 13 rated pictures for the OT section too...)
Old 02-09-2004, 01:47 PM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

please review Kinetix Racing

https://my350z.com/forum/a-82/
Old 02-09-2004, 04:00 PM
lsdunique

wow, cool I didnt even know we had a product review section, I am such a computer rookie.

We have found it MUCH easier if all the bolts are simply hand tightened as you install, this makes fitment MUCH easier.

Once everything is in place, then go ahead and crank everything down.

I am glad you liked the cats.