Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

350z with resonated test pipes opinion

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 07:07 PM
MatthewBouchard

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

I have the stillen exhaust and once I put on my berk test pipes it opened up the sound a lot. 3.5k + at partial(20%+) throttle is when it can get really raspy.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:30 AM
zacav8r

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for your input guys, im going to save up and get a set of ART pipes.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:44 PM
Golden_Armz

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dSpaceman
I replaced the oem exhaust with the Invidia Gemini catback exhaust. To be quite honest, I'm a little disappointed because of how quiet it is, so I'm looking to replace the cat with test pipes.
U know what, I thought the same when I installed my Gemini also. But after driving it for a few days, the sound got deeper. Its actually pretty loud now. Opening her up to 7k really made the exhaust sound more deeper. Right around 2k-3k it's really loud. As far as test pipes, I actually have the Megan racing resonated test pipes I bought last year. Didn't install them yet, but they were only 150 dollars. I didn't want to pay too much for some pipes. There were mixed results with these. Some like them, some didn't. Few of them complained of being cracked. But I hardly put too many miles on my car so I wouldn't worry about too much. I Barely put 3k miles per year so we will see how it goes. But Gemini with resonated teat pipes sounds really nice. Since these exhaust is are on the quiet side.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:41 AM
dSpaceman

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Golden_Armz
U know what, I thought the same when I installed my Gemini also. But after driving it for a few days, the sound got deeper. Its actually pretty loud now. Opening her up to 7k really made the exhaust sound more deeper. Right around 2k-3k it's really loud. As far as test pipes, I actually have the Megan racing resonated test pipes I bought last year. Didn't install them yet, but they were only 150 dollars. I didn't want to pay too much for some pipes. There were mixed results with these. Some like them, some didn't. Few of them complained of being cracked. But I hardly put too many miles on my car so I wouldn't worry about too much. I Barely put 3k miles per year so we will see how it goes. But Gemini with resonated teat pipes sounds really nice. Since these exhaust is are on the quiet side.
Good to hear that someone else is running the same exhaust. Perhaps our definition of loud is way different, but one thing's for sure: idling is near silent. I've driven it over a week now (~300-500kms), should be well broken in. Volume has not changed. Matter of fact, seems even quieter now Do you perhaps have a video of your exhaust note? I went with this exhaust because everyone claims that it's loud but not obnoxiously loud. To me this is just a colossal waste of money /

Also, I don't plan on spending ~$600 just for ART pipes, does not seem worth it one bit. I can deal with a bit of rasp. Not to mention I believe someone mentioned that the Gemini has resonators within the pipes itself (don't quote me on that, though), so I'm not too worried there. I've decided on the Berk test pipes that also come with the CEL fix. They're on back order right now, so it'll be a month or two before I can get them shipped and installed. Hopefully it'll increase it to my desired volume. But for now, very much disappointed
Old 04-20-2015, 06:17 AM
Golden_Armz

Originally Posted by dSpaceman
Good to hear that someone else is running the same exhaust. Perhaps our definition of loud is way different, but one thing's for sure: idling is near silent. I've driven it over a week now (~300-500kms), should be well broken in. Volume has not changed. Matter of fact, seems even quieter now Do you perhaps have a video of your exhaust
How many miles have you put on the exhaust? How many times have you redlined your car? Opening her up to 7k rpm did help, floor it to 7k for few gears on an open road. It will help the process of breaking in the exhaust. loudest at 2k to 3k rpm on a slow cruise. Other tha that it is on the quiet side. But it's def louder than stock. Take her out on a Slow cruise, with the Windows down, you will hear sweet mellow deep tone of the exhaust. At first I thought I made a huge mistake of buying this exhaust. But now I'm really starting to enjoy the sound....

Last edited by Golden_Armz; 04-20-2015 at 06:23 AM.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:42 AM
gabemm85

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently had ART pipes installed. Everything else on the exhaust is stock. Anyone have any recommendations on how to eliminate the rasp when you are around 3 to 4k rpm? Sounds like a tin can...
Old 05-25-2015, 07:49 AM
350zchad

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

How does the FI resonated TP compare to ART, any knowledge?
Old 06-13-2015, 01:59 PM
Golden_Armz

Ok, I just installed megan racing resonated test pipes with gemini cat back exhaust. The sound is good, not too loud, pretty mellow. But I just don't like the loss of torque with the test pipes. There's no rasp, little bit of drone on highway at 80mph. But the lack of torque makes me want to go back to stock cats. Saving up for the ART pipes. It's like everyone said, save up for the ART pipes. The torque loss is not worth it imo.
Old 06-13-2015, 03:30 PM
MatthewBouchard

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Golden_Armz
Ok, I just installed megan racing resonated test pipes with gemini cat back exhaust. The sound is good, not too loud, pretty mellow. But I just don't like the loss of torque with the test pipes. There's no rasp, little bit of drone on highway at 80mph. But the lack of torque makes me want to go back to stock cats. Saving up for the ART pipes. It's like everyone said, save up for the ART pipes. The torque loss is not worth it imo.
After I installed my TP's I also felt a loss of tq. A tune helped get back that tq.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:54 PM
350zchad

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

just installed FI resonated test pipes and invidia gemeni.. I notice no loss of torque and def. increase in power.. great combo
Old 06-13-2015, 08:34 PM
dSpaceman

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I actually felt a loss in torque as well when I installed my TPs
Old 06-14-2015, 11:03 AM
Golden_Armz

The torque loss is there, u will notice it when your driving in the city. U will notice the power gains mostly in the freeway with the open throttle. Other than that, it doesn't take off like it used to. ART pipes should fix that problem.
Also I'm waiting to get my Mrev2 and then getting a tune. I have the rev up. But since I'm gonna be spending 600 bucks for ART pipes. Mrev and tune is gonna have to wait. Funds are slow, and this Is my second car.

Last edited by Golden_Armz; 06-14-2015 at 11:06 AM.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:39 AM
nizmo_0385

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts

I too felt a loss in TQ. I mostly felt a loss after installing intakes. Therefore went back to stock saved up for Art pipes and a tune!