Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

heat wrap to stop exhaust rattle?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 10:29 PM
pouchonnet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb heat wrap to stop exhaust rattle?

My exhaust is rattling on the metal support brace after the y-pipe section (See picture). I was thinking about wrapping the exhaust or/and brace with heat wrap or something so that the rattle is not metal on metal... I don't know what else i could do. I'm obviously not gonna remove that support brace lol... Any ideas?

Old 07-06-2017, 03:35 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,060 Likes on 6,523 Posts

get a piece of exhaust rubber and find someway to mount it there. i had to do that with my tdx2. no matter how i adjusted it, it would always move enough to hit that
Old 07-06-2017, 05:29 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Stock exhaust?

Maybe your hangers are worn out. Check how much the exhaust moves.

Seems like wrap does more harm than good on exhausts.
Old 07-06-2017, 05:33 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 443 Likes on 359 Posts

I wrap my exhausts to stop rattle if I need to, but I tent to cut corners where safety isn't an issue.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:21 AM
pouchonnet

No it's all aftermarket, the hangers seems pretty fine!
Old 07-06-2017, 06:23 AM
pouchonnet

Originally Posted by SQuaLZ
Stock exhaust?

Maybe your hangers are worn out. Check how much the exhaust moves.

Seems like wrap does more harm than good on exhausts.
It's an ISR exhaust... Any idea of what can i put between the brace and the exhaust?
Old 07-06-2017, 06:39 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,060 Likes on 6,523 Posts

Originally Posted by travlee
get a piece of exhaust rubber and find someway to mount it there. i had to do that with my tdx2. no matter how i adjusted it, it would always move enough to hit that
Originally Posted by pouchonnet
It's an ISR exhaust... Any idea of what can i put between the brace and the exhaust?

The following users liked this post:
rustyschopshop (06-30-2019)
Old 07-06-2017, 03:35 PM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Remember whatever you use cant be too thick otherwise you bring the piping too close to the driveshaft. Exhaust wrap should work fine to prevent the clanging.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:01 PM
Swaglife81

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Exhaust wrap is great on a race car. Exhaust wrap on a street car is bad, especially under the car. The wrap will lower the lifetime of the metal. It's been proven to hold in excess moisture is the only reason. If the car never sees rain ever or is a trailer queen I say go for it. Just my 2 cents

If exhaust is hitting a piece of the car, it's made horribly, installed wrong, or something is off, hangers, etc. This is part of why I've never owned a car that had flex pipes on it aside from my factory y pipe. A solid exhaust made and installed correctly won't hit anything. Flexing slightly one way pushes something else down or up hitting. I know people are gonna say flex pipes are great, blah blah. My Mustang GT, friends Corvette, and my old LT1 cars worked perfectly fine without flex pipes anywhere.

Start at the front area with the y pipe and use a pry bar or yours hands, tug and pull and see if the exhaust is moving anywhere or you can replicate the exhaust hitting that support. Work your way down to trouble shooting if it's a install/hanger issue or bad design
Old 07-09-2017, 07:49 PM
pouchonnet

Originally Posted by Swaglife81
Exhaust wrap is great on a race car. Exhaust wrap on a street car is bad, especially under the car. The wrap will lower the lifetime of the metal. It's been proven to hold in excess moisture is the only reason. If the car never sees rain ever or is a trailer queen I say go for it. Just my 2 cents

If exhaust is hitting a piece of the car, it's made horribly, installed wrong, or something is off, hangers, etc. This is part of why I've never owned a car that had flex pipes on it aside from my factory y pipe. A solid exhaust made and installed correctly won't hit anything. Flexing slightly one way pushes something else down or up hitting. I know people are gonna say flex pipes are great, blah blah. My Mustang GT, friends Corvette, and my old LT1 cars worked perfectly fine without flex pipes anywhere.

Start at the front area with the y pipe and use a pry bar or yours hands, tug and pull and see if the exhaust is moving anywhere or you can replicate the exhaust hitting that support. Work your way down to trouble shooting if it's a install/hanger issue or bad design

Thanks for the help man, i didn't order exhaust wrap because i always feel like fixing things the right way and couldn't deal with having a wrap under my car protecting the exhaust lol! I'm gonna try loosening the bolts and pushing the exhaust upward and tight the bolts when holding it to see if it fixes it. If that doesn't work then it must be the exhaust hangers... It's an ISR exhaust and i've heard good things about it so i doubt it's a bad design... We'll see!
Old 07-10-2017, 06:30 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

exhaust wrap as in folding it to squeeze in between the exhaust and the brace is a easy fix.

Wrapping it is the same good idea, as mentioned if you see excessive rain...shy away from this idea.

I had to do the same thing on my AAM 3".
Old 07-10-2017, 10:25 AM
pouchonnet

Yea it's my daily and there's a lot of rain where i live. I tried jacking the exhaust while the bolts where loose and then tighthen them again and i think it worked but is it normal for my exhaust to be like extremely close to the driveshaft? It's not touching but i can't fit a finger between the driveshaft and exhaust... Anyone? I'm not starting it unless someone tells me that it's fine. I don't want to destroy my driveshaft LOL!
Old 07-10-2017, 02:22 PM
Swaglife81

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pouchonnet
Yea it's my daily and there's a lot of rain where i live. I tried jacking the exhaust while the bolts where loose and then tighthen them again and i think it worked but is it normal for my exhaust to be like extremely close to the driveshaft? It's not touching but i can't fit a finger between the driveshaft and exhaust... Anyone? I'm not starting it unless someone tells me that it's fine. I don't want to destroy my driveshaft LOL!
This is just how aftermarket is sometimes. It's always a hit or miss. Differences in manufacturing dates. Who made it, was it done on a Friday at 5pm on the weekend. My last catback exhaust I dealt with was magnaflow from bottom of the headers to the tips. It was great but 1/4 here, and 1/8 inch there was the difference in it being to low or to high. The x pipe part that went into the exhaust manifold always leaked no matter what. Finally found out that hard bumps, bad roads were kinda making things out of whack. So I ended up getting stuff welded to prevent exhaust leak. This was on a Mustang however but same concept. They tend to be close to the driveshaft, axle and bracing. There bigger diameter than stock plus ground clearance so differences in which way something can go safely without hitting is minimal..

Should have took pics OP. If you think you fixed it than it's probably fixed. Better to do before something gets bent or starts leaking.

You could attach a small things piece of heat insulation of some sort on that support piece to give it some deadening in case it comes close to hitting again. Something that can take some heat and keep the metal on metal contact sound lower
Old 07-10-2017, 03:22 PM
guitman32

Yeah just a wrap over the crossbrace is all it takes.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:21 PM
guitman32

I run an ISR single, track duty only. I was in between exhausts (cracked) and the price was crack head low, so it was a no brainer to give it a try.

It sits on the brace, I wired in some heat wrap and the clang is gone.

Zero issues with the driveshaft. The piping and welds have held up to quite some heat with no cracking. Muffler and resonator havent come loose and start rattling. It has held up quite well.

You will notice how you cant push it up into the shaft, which is the only reason was ok running it.

Actually Im pretty pleased with the thing. And it sounds pretty good also.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:06 AM
jellofuel

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I run the Z1 single exit exhaust, and there was some rattling, since it basically sits on the crossmember - I wrapped the exhaust to eliminate excessive drone, and it also stopped the rattling.
Old 06-30-2019, 03:59 AM
Jordan_z34

Originally Posted by guitman32
I run an ISR single, track duty only. I was in between exhausts (cracked) and the price was crack head low, so it was a no brainer to give it a try.

It sits on the brace, I wired in some heat wrap and the clang is gone.

Zero issues with the driveshaft. The piping and welds have held up to quite some heat with no cracking. Muffler and resonator havent come loose and start rattling. It has held up quite well.

You will notice how you cant push it up into the shaft, which is the only reason was ok running it.

Actually Im pretty pleased with the thing. And it sounds pretty good also.

I think I’m having this similar problem, I just installed a isr single cbe on my 370z and after doing big pulls and slowing down the car I would hear like my exhaust hitting something under my car but can’t figure out what it is, could it be poor installation?
Old 06-30-2019, 05:08 AM
jellofuel

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Jordan_z34
I think I’m having this similar problem, I just installed a isr single cbe on my 370z and after doing big pulls and slowing down the car I would hear like my exhaust hitting something under my car but can’t figure out what it is, could it be poor installation?
He resolved by wrapping the exhaust, so it's not metal on metal. You could try loosening all the bolts, propping the exhaust up with a jack, and tightening everything in place. But wrapping it probably gonna work best, that did the trick on my 350z (though I have Z1 exhaust, same issue)
Old 06-30-2019, 05:16 AM
Jordan_z34

Thanks will do man, it drives me crazy sometimes cause it sounds like something is breaking
Old 06-30-2019, 06:30 AM
guitman32

Originally Posted by Jordan_z34
Not poor installation likely just design..I wrapped the crossmember with a layer of heat wrap and wired it in place and it took care of it. It will wear out due to the friction so checking it periodically will help.

Now that I run a resonator delete on this setup it doesnt hit anything anymore. But the welds and ISR can are still going strong, much to my disbelief!