Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Kinetix Racing Plenum Install Tips!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 04:29 PM
all_bark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kinetix Racing Plenum Install Tips!

I am not going to go into BIG details but I wanted to let all the soon to be Kinetix Racing Plenum owners/buyers know of a few install tips that I wish I knew before i started this project! i would recommend a towel or something to drape over the quarter panels and a pair of NON-zippered shorts or something so you do not scratch the baby!

TOOLS REQUIRED - sockets 10 + 12mm. wreches - 10mm, one pair of pliers, one large adjustable wrench, 2 allen wrenches and a flat head screw driver (for injen intake tube)

1. Start with the engine cover. i think it is 10mm. Best to have both a socket and a wrench to get the four bolts off.

2. then go to the strut bar. Loosen the tension in the strut bar BEFORE loosening the nuts to remove it. An adjustable wrench worked perfect to loosen the tension. If you are standing infront of the car looking back at the battery you would go from UP (hood) to DOWN (front end) Give it 4-6 1/2 turns to loosen it up and THEN take out the four screws/bolts on either side. i believe it is 12mm and a socket worked best for me on that. Do not forget to remove the wires attached to the strut mounts.

3. Remove the intake tube. I have an injen so all it took to get that off was a flat head screw driver.

4. Take off the two top hoses and the wiring harness that is hooked into the air/sensor valve. (what is that thing called?!). One of the hoses is on the battery side and the other is behind the plenum off of the back. A pair of pliers took care of them. (there are two more but is best to wait a minute for them.)

5. Remove the bolts holding the plenum down. There are quite a bit but it is easy. Once again it is a 10mm socket will work best.

6. Now Gently remove the plenum, lift the front slightly higher than the rear. Be careful because there are two more hoses underneath the air/sensor valve thing. These are connected to the radiator to warm the air for cold weather climates (not that I know about that!) The pliers will loosen the clamps holding them on so that you can pull them off.

7. now the plenum will come completely off. make sure to take care of gasket. Do not remove it and do not F*** it up!

8. Remove the sensor valve from the old (POS factory) plenum. Take the gasket off of it and keep it safe. it will go onto the Kinetix Racing Plenum air/sensor valve shortly.

now on to the install.

9. Hook up the radiator thing to the bottom of your new plenum. One of the inlets goes straight down and the other has a 90 degree turn in it and they are both mounted to a silver bar. You will need an allen wrench to install it and I think lsdunique is preparing to provide that with the bolts. You will understand what I mean when you have it. Anyway, look at the factory plenum to determine which way to hook it up, just do it the same way it is on the factory plenum. No gasket required.

10. Hook the air/sensor valve onto the new Kinetix plenum and tighten down with the allen wrench. If he does not provide one, get one! Remember to use the factory gasket, it is small but necessary.

11. put the two plenum "anti breathing" bars in. They go in the two holes in the middle of the plenum. They come with the kit and the tall one goes to the back and the short one goes to the front. Use some lock tight on them before screwing them in. (after the plenum goes on there are two allen wrench bolts that go through the plenum into these "anti-breather" spacers.)

12. Next - There are four small allen head screws into the four holes inside the plenum (replaces the screws that held the factory plenum on) USE LOCKTITE on these also. I also used small washers.

13. Now - install the plenum on the car but before hooking it down, put the two radiator hoses back on to the new radiator mounts that Kinetix provided with the plenum. I found it was easier if the plenum was tilted up. Front higher in the air and the back lower, to get the hoses on.

12. Now that the radiator hoses are attached put the plenum in place. You can reconnect the two other hoses and the wiring harness back on.

13. Put all the factory bolts back through the new plenum and tighten down. Also, now is the time to put in the bolts into the 'anti-breather" spacers. USE LOCKTITE on ALL OF THESE BOLTS, as these bolts will loosen without it. ALSO - WHEN TIGHTENING THE BOLTS TO HOLD THE PLENUM DOWN, DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN AS YOU WILL CRACK THE PLASTIC PLENUM. Please refer to the instuctions on how tight they should be but remember. OVERTIGHTEN AND YOU RISK CRACKING THE PLENUM.

14. Finished? Check again, are ALL the bolts tight? Are ALL the hoses connected? Is the Wiring harness hooked back in? OK....

15. Rehook up the intake. Easy.

16. NOW - Remove ALL the tools and such from inside the engine compartment and start it up! Take it for a test drive, check it out.
I recommend leaving off the strut and cover for a day or two to drive it and check it out a bit because if you do anything wrong you will then have to remove them AGAIN just to fix something and that requires extra work that is unnecesary.

i hope this helps you when you FINALLY get your Kinetix Racing Plenum.

YOU ARE GOING TO LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy.......

If I missed something, forgot to add something or if you find an easier way please add it on to help others!!!!!!

Last edited by all_bark; 02-20-2004 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-20-2004, 04:56 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Great, should be using them soon, I have added this to my favorites.

I would just suggest swapping 1 and 2 as the driver's side rear nut on the cover is easier to get at without the strut bar on.
Old 02-20-2004, 05:13 PM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You forgot to mention you'll need a 5mm allen wrench that is needed to remove / reinstall the throttle body to the plenum. I had to run out to Sears in the middle of my install b/c I didn't have this tool...
Old 02-22-2004, 11:11 AM
peptidbond

Not only do your need the 5mm allen wrench, but it has to be a long-handled one. Those little things are not long enough, even when using the long end. As you turn it, it will hit the throttle body. If you are doing this install, it is a good time to buy a nice set of t-bar allen wrenches. The big ones.

Also of note regarding over tightening the bolts that hold down the plenum is that over tightening will not only crack the plenum but may also snap the head off the bolt. I did this when servicing my stock plenum. Now, before I install the new one, I must do a screw extraction. Fun, no.