Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Pop charger before and after Gtech runs

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 06:33 AM
Dissolved

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Pop charger before and after Gtech runs

Installed the popcharger yesterday afternoon. I didnt reset my ECU by the way.

So I take the car for a spin, I'm like "wtf, the car feels slower". I was pissed. So I said, ok only one way to settle this. Gtech time.

Before I begin, let me say the following regarding Gtech Pro:
-I have always done all my Gtech runs on the same road
-I have gotten similar times in both very cold weather and hot weather
-The tire pressure settings didnt seem to have an effect (I run 35# all the way around for my runs most of the time)
-Everytime I have done my runs, the traction properties have been the same (little/no wheel spin in 1st gear, but fishtail in 2nd)
So bascially what I'm trying to say is that each time I've Gtech'd, it has been the same experience.

For reference, here are my previous GTECH runs on my bone stock 2003 touring 6mt:

Jan 4, 2004
Warm night , took advantage of it and did some 0-60 runs.
1/8th tank of gas/ 94octane
rear tires @ 25psi fronts @ 35psi
VDC off
1st 3 runs I was rushed (cars on road coming behind) and they were 6.02-6.2. Was launching at 1500RPMs and off the line the car bogged a little bit. (was told 1500 was magic number but apparently it isnt)

4th run I changed my launching technique. Launched at 2800RPMs and feathered clutch a bit. When clutch fully disengaged I mashed throttle. 0-60 on this run was 5.8 Did one 1/4mile run on a different road, but let off at end due to oncoming traffic (didnt know if it was a cop or not). That run was 14.4@102.9mph. Didnt get to do more runs due to all the damn traffic. I shifted around 6300 RPMS each time. Maybe could of got a better time shifting later who knows

January 9th, 2004
I did a 0-60 tonight with 5003 miles. This time, the car broke sideways in 2nd gear a lot more and I clocked in a 5.7 to 60mph (new best time). Keep in mind this is with TONs of wheelspin. Would of hit a 5.3 definitely had I hooked

February 14, 2004

Today it was 45*ambient temperature. Same tire pressure (35#) all the way around. Same road I always gtech on. Its nice outside, not very cold really so I expected worst times.
1st run: Launched at 2500rpms and got a 6.3 LOL wtf
2nd run: Launched at 2500 rpms again and got a 6.3 with a 1/4mile of 14.7 LOL

I then realized the it was 20 degrees hotter outside so I could probably launch higher.(I always did 2500rpm launches in sub 30degree weather)

3rdrun: launched at 3300rpms and got a 0-60 of 5.88

4th run: launched at 3400rpms but mashed throttle 0-60 in
5.77. 1/4mile was 14.3@98mph. NOTE* I braked through the end of the 1/4 because i ran out of road. I'm POSITIVE I could of at least got a 14 flat or 13.9ish time out of that. In comparison, last month when I did this, I hit 14.3@105.5mph

5th run: 0-60 5.79 seconds 3400 launch
6th run: 0-60 5.8 seconds 3400 launch.
7th run VDC/TCS on . 0-60 in 6.3 seconds. I forgot to turn it off lol

The neighbors were starting to get annoyned so I called it quits. I was going to try a 4k launch since I was getting ZERO wheelspin off the line with all the other runs. I think a 5.5 or better is in store for me next time. This car hooks very well .

All in all, I think i get better times in warmer weather. Car has 5500 miles on it. It had 5050 something I think when I did my previous runs. Car getting faster from break in? Maybe. ECU adjustments at 5k? Maybe :P

Whatever it is, there is a noticeable increase in power and in WARMER weather than last time I did my tests. Explain that one

April 4 2004
8000 miles on my Z now. 94 octane as always and this time it was almost a full tank of gas. And I still got traction problems.

If you remember from my previous posts, my best gtech run to date has been 5.7 stock.
That was in I believe 40 degreeish weather. Best 1/4 was 14.3@105mph (yes I know gtech's mph is off)

I installed the popcharger today and went for a drive (I never reset ecu by the way). I was disappointed when I drove the car, the car seemed slower. So I grabbed the Gtech:

Same road I always gtech on, same launch (3kish): Just like my winter runs, the car fishtailed in second gear (hurting my times)

1st run:
crappy launch
0-60 5.9 seconds

2nd run:
0-60 in 5.77 seconds

3rd run:
0-60 in 5.68 seconds
1/4mile 14.1 at 104.xxx (had to break, ran out of road)

4th run 0-60 in 5.65 seconds
1/4mile 14.1 at 104.4mph (had to brake, ran out of road)

So indeed the popcharger did add power. Shaved 2 tenths of a second off the 1/4 and a tenth off the 0-60. It sounds damn good too.

Thanks Ultimate Z !

Last edited by Dissolved; 04-04-2004 at 06:41 AM.
Old 04-04-2004, 06:39 AM
Dissolved

By the way, when I get better at launching this thing, I expect 5.2 0-60 times. Right now I'm still getting used to the new clutch (recent tranny swap)
Old 04-04-2004, 06:40 AM
robcassell

I need to get me one of those GTech things, I tried using the stopwatch today and got 6.0 flat and 5.2...haha
Old 04-04-2004, 06:42 AM
Dissolved

I'm using the gtech pro. Not the brand new $250 one. But this one is still pretty accurate. I need to borrow someones expensive new performance model gtech
Whats cool is you dont need to balance those
Old 04-04-2004, 07:10 AM
Dissolved

Originally posted by robcassell
I need to get me one of those GTech things, I tried using the stopwatch today and got 6.0 flat and 5.2...haha
by the way, just for an FYI: stop watches are highly inaccurate for measuring car performance
Old 04-04-2004, 07:15 AM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Dissolved
by the way, just for an FYI: stop watches are highly inaccurate for measuring car performance
so by saying that, what do they measure time with at a track? also the best way to see if you actually got any gains is to do a baseline (stock) dyno run then runs with the mod. i never trusted those gtech things and never will
Old 04-04-2004, 07:27 AM
Dissolved

Originally posted by Z04
so by saying that, what do they measure time with at a track? also the best way to see if you actually got any gains is to do a baseline (stock) dyno run then runs with the mod. i never trusted those gtech things and never will
With a stopwatch, you have to first do all of this BS:

-hold one hand on the stopwatch
-click stop watch when you are about to move while trying to shift
-click again when you hit 60mph while trying to concentrate on road

It is both difficult and unreliable. Proven time and time again.

Even if you have a second person timing your 0-60 in the passenger seat, there is a huge margin of error.

With the GtechPro, it doesnt start measuring until the car moves. And it stops measuring at exactly 60mph. Now think about using a stop watch. It would be much more difficult to click stop watch when car moves", then "click stop watch when car hits 60mph". Too much room for error.

Same with the drag strip. The laser beams or whatever is at the tree, doesnt start counting your time until you trip the light. Similar to the way GtechPro begins counting.

Furthermore, I have friends that have run their Gtech Pros on the drag strip. The ets were in 1 to tenths of a second between the timeslip and gtech. Some were dead on. The only thing that was off was the mph in the 1/4 (common problem with the gtech pro. Just by the way it measures it) We've used Gtechpro on several several cars. From blown trans ams, to stage 5 z32tt's. It is accurate.

Also, dissolved just owned you

Last edited by Dissolved; 04-04-2004 at 07:35 AM.
Old 04-04-2004, 07:38 AM
Dissolved

Pic of the popcharger installed. I painted the heatshield with Plasti-Kote black caliper paint. Used the paint for years, lasts forever.

Mike W (victor) or any other mod, could you edit my original post and put this pic in there and delete this current post.
Thanks

Heres the pic:
Sorry about quality, was in garage with flash.
Old 04-04-2004, 07:50 AM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Dissolved

Also, dissolved just owned you
whatever dude. you was not clear in your first post anyway. and i hope the "neighbors that were getting upset" do something about it one of these days.
Old 04-04-2004, 08:27 AM
Norel350Z

Funny you posted this, i just installed my pop charger this friday night, and today was the first clear day without rain, so i took her out for a spin, it was interesting, i really feel no diffrence at all.
For those familiar with the franken car intake for Maxima's, I have one on my max, and i noticed a slight increase in throttle response, verse how it was before, and also my dads car, (he has the same year/trim max that i do) However, with this Pop charger my JWT, I really didn't notice this, all i did notice was the nice whistle it makes, and the deep growl under hard acceleration, im sure it may give me .5 horse to the wheels on a cold winter day, but hell i don't even drive the Z in the winter here in NY, I just got it for the sound
Old 04-04-2004, 09:51 AM
Dissolved

Originally posted by Norel350Z
Funny you posted this, i just installed my pop charger this friday night, and today was the first clear day without rain, so i took her out for a spin, it was interesting, i really feel no diffrence at all.
For those familiar with the franken car intake for Maxima's, I have one on my max, and i noticed a slight increase in throttle response, verse how it was before, and also my dads car, (he has the same year/trim max that i do) However, with this Pop charger my JWT, I really didn't notice this, all i did notice was the nice whistle it makes, and the deep growl under hard acceleration, im sure it may give me .5 horse to the wheels on a cold winter day, but hell i don't even drive the Z in the winter here in NY, I just got it for the sound

Well the primary use of gtech is for seeing what your mods can do for you. I kept all of the variables the same in all my tests (hell even the temperature was about the same). And the popcharger shaved 2 tenths of a second off my 1/4. I was actually doing slighty shittier launches this time around to. May try it again tonight

Keep in mind I've done tons and tons and tons of gtech runs (0-60 and 1/4mile) on this gtech. Once I got the launch down fairly well, every run was consistent. I trust it's accuracy as do most other people.
Old 04-06-2004, 04:24 AM
Dissolved

Hmm car feels faster , second day with popcharger. Gave my friend a ride, and he agrees it feels faster. Maybe ECU adjusted? (i drove A LOT over the past few days) I would "think" it would be an instant adjustment since the MAF reads in real time right. (should be anyway)
Old 04-06-2004, 04:27 AM
robcassell

I really could care less about how much faster or how much more power my pop charger makes. For 100 bucks, you can't beat that sound!
Old 04-06-2004, 04:33 AM
Dissolved

I'm sorry but I have to agree.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:27 PM
Norel350Z

Originally posted by robcassell
I really could care less about how much faster or how much more power my pop charger makes. For 100 bucks, you can't beat that sound!
I agree 10000000%
Old 04-06-2004, 02:04 PM
Jetpilot718

Hey, I've never heard one in person, what does it sound like?? Anyone on here know of a sound clip floating around or somethin like that??
Old 04-07-2004, 03:35 AM
jng1226

Thanks for posting your detailed results. This is very helpful to me. I just dynoed with nothing more than a Topspeed Pro1 exhaust and picked up an honest 8-10 rwhp. I'm curious what a Popcharger and crank pulley will do for me.
Old 05-21-2004, 06:27 AM
Sins4u33

i think they might throw you over the 15-20 whp line i dunno go for it definatley

Ben
Old 05-21-2004, 06:55 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

very cool...

still my favorite intake on my Z yet!

http://www.performancenissanparts.co...roducts_id=256
Old 05-21-2004, 08:36 AM
pulpz2

I installed mine about a month ago. I think its absolutely kick a**. I recommend it to anyone who is thinking about an intake. Definetly feels more crisp at high rpm. My gas milage has improved but this may be related to the enigne break in also (9k miles).

Two drawbacks: waiting for it to arrive (3day ground cheap but nerve racking), and installation (though any newbie with a wrench can do it can be a pain in the neck).

Quick Reply: Pop charger before and after Gtech runs