Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

Why AEM Blows... No, not Sucks!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 10:52 AM
blascelles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by compression
EMS? As in a programmable stand alone?

Now I know the 350 is throttle-by-wire, will the EMS handle those duties and do it reliably? Seems like a lot of responsibility for an aftermarket computer to handle and it might open the door to liability lawsuits if there ever was a problem.

Or maybe a cable operated throttle conversion kit will be included with the EMS? that would make a little more sense.
Cant wait to see it.
That's the whole purpose of the EMS to have functionality, but computers will crash. Figuring out what the throttle does when that happens is the part that needs to be ironed out.
Old 08-20-2004, 08:51 AM
lopchild

My beef with AEM is that the stupid thing crushed/ground away at my highpressure a/c line until it leaked. Drained my entire a/c system. The vibration from the motor at high rpms got the thing shaking. I had to buy new a/c line charge the system again, and it cost me well over 350.00.

Contacted AEM to inform them, offered to drive to them to inspect it & fix it themselves, and then asked for fix it piece.

They initally got back to me, then ignored my letter, calls, etc. Not a response. I am suing in small claims. I GAVE Tthem the opportunity to fix. They are about 1 hr from me in torrance area.

It is a stupid design issue. Look at the square black piece where engine wires plug in. Above driver wheel well is silver a/c line. How close is YOURS to that line. mine was about 3/8 inch. that sits really close to the a/c line. any bump or loose grommet/bolt in the aem & the thing is banging your a/c line. No pun intended.
Old 08-20-2004, 08:55 AM
lopchild

Default aem

Anyone else have this problem, PM me. I can include you as "payee" on this small claims issue. I need others that had the same problem. Their rudeness is my pisser now.... I called/faxed/emailed like ten times asking what they wanted to do. My z sat for three weeks while I waited for a dated response..... i wasnt going to drive it in summer heat without ac in CA.........
Old 08-20-2004, 09:42 AM
compression

Did you intall it?
Sounds like it wasnt installed correctly. If you closely followed the instructions, you should not have any problems. Do you think AEM wouldnt notice a sharp object rubbing on an A/C line when they designed the intake?

Look at the square black piece where engine wires plug in.
Are you talking about the MAF sensor? If so, it can be rotated around so that the plug does not interfere with anything, I think I saw something about that in the instructions.

AEM probably cant be held liable because they did not install the intake system.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:47 AM
lopchild

no i did not install it... that is when I took over all the work on it. I know the install could have been partially to blame, but fact is, I dont know if a bolt vibrated loose, or what happenned. Seems like a bad place to put the junction, right there where a/c line travels. Doyou have copy of mounting instructions?

I may go after installer too, and let aem and them duke it out. All I want is my 350 bucks back.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:01 AM
compression

Did you intall it?
Sounds like it wasnt installed correctly. If you closely followed the instructions, you should not have any problems. Do you think AEM wouldnt notice a sharp object rubbing on an A/C line when they designed the intake?

Look at the square black piece where engine wires plug in.
Are you talking about the MAF sensor? If so, it can be rotated around so that the plug does not interfere with anything, I think I saw something about that in the instructions.

AEM probably cant be held liable because they did not install the intake system.
Also, having your car sit for 3 weeks is your choice, you can only blame yourself if you didnt want to drive it because of lack of A/C.
Old 08-20-2004, 01:28 PM
sisco534

I agree with some , AEM is close to the ground where heat from the asfault is sucked in, I traded my 99 SS Z28 and it had Ram Air induction that truley was Ram Air . I can tell a difference with the AEM gave a good boost when installed (mainly sounded better) then I dualed it out ... that took a lot of my torque away at low RPM'S I was amazed and sadened . I am waiting for chip upgrade to come out , I cant send my ECU away to be reprogramed who has time for that .
Old 08-20-2004, 03:18 PM
lopchild

Default no blame on car sitting

I am not complaining about the car sitting. I have another car I drive....i rarely drive the z anyway....

What i was saying, is i was trying to give them time to work out a response: a "sorry, cant help" letter maybe partial reimbursement or what I wanted: their mechanics to repair the a/c line and/or install new one. then they are out really nothing.... and I am not out 350 bucks. I didnt drive car to give them the time to appease me at little cost/trouble to each of us. The trouble is mostly on ME. No car use, i drive out to them....etc.. They didn't call, email.. They didn't even respond. So that's why I am suing.

You have to at least respond in one way or another.... this is business, is it not?

Originally posted by compression
Did you intall it?

Also, having your car sit for 3 weeks is your choice, you can only blame yourself if you didnt want to drive it because of lack of A/C.
Old 08-20-2004, 04:47 PM
blascelles

Default Re: no blame on car sitting

Originally posted by lopchild
I am not complaining about the car sitting. I have another car I drive....i rarely drive the z anyway....

What i was saying, is i was trying to give them time to work out a response: a "sorry, cant help" letter maybe partial reimbursement or what I wanted: their mechanics to repair the a/c line and/or install new one. then they are out really nothing.... and I am not out 350 bucks. I didnt drive car to give them the time to appease me at little cost/trouble to each of us. The trouble is mostly on ME. No car use, i drive out to them....etc.. They didn't call, email.. They didn't even respond. So that's why I am suing.

You have to at least respond in one way or another.... this is business, is it not?
I don't deal with warranties, but I vaguely remember this situation. Were you talking with Robert? The warranty dept. has since been revamped, but its still just one person which is a tough job. Sounds like you are still bent on this. I could look into it further, just send me some mail.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:19 PM
sisco534

I agree to some degree , the problem with AEM is that it is tucked away where NO air goes ... this weekend I found a way to get cold air from the front of car , tore out a small plastic piece above the frame opened a 6 inch by 3 inch hole that gets air before it gets to the radiator... belive it or not that did increase the power maybe because now it is truley getting cold air and it is high up enough no water will ever get in to the air filter but it is a 2 hour job replacing that filter pain in the a** , I didnt have to take the wheel off but it would have been a lot easier I know next time and that will be soon no more that 2 months they get dirty very easy.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:37 PM
lopchild

Default Re: Re: no blame on car sitting

I take it you work for AEM? Yes, I am still irate with the ignoring of my 2 page typed letter, and my repeated voicemails for three seperate individuals. I sent everything to them, receipts, copy of estimate, and photos, as requested. No common courtesy was extended after ASKING me to prepare this information, which; including the letter took a few hours. I promptly provided this info to your co-workers.

Since the incident involved your product, and luckily you are about 1 hr away, I thought you would at least assist in the issue.

I offered to drive there on my time to have your mechanic take care of this.... no response. I have all photos, old a/c line with hole, plus recipts ready for court. I have the case ready to file in Ventura County Small Claims Court. I just found out I can do it online after going down there last wednesday - because I did not have a copy of my letter I wrote to AEM with me, with the dates of incident/formal request for monies. That information was required to file.

I was going to file it this weekend online, until I saw your post. I understand business is busy and everyone is understaffed. I own a business, and live THAT everyday. Insurance, taxes and Workers Comp eats me alive, forcing me to have to hire 2 less people than I'd like to.

Bottom line is, I had it repaired. Since I had to pay First Nissan out here to install the a/c line, and purchase the part, all I want is this reimbursed. Again, I gave AEM the opportunity while my car sat in the garage for three weeks, to settle this for virtually nothing. I would have even covered the part costs since I had already bought the a/c line as soon as the problem was diagnosed.

Actually, I was wrong about the amount of 350.00 it was $450.00. I sent the invoice/estimate and receipt for a/c line to Robert via fax three times. 400.00 for the install, and 50.00 for the part.

Please email me or call me with your solution.

Originally posted by blascelles
I don't deal with warranties, but I vaguely remember this situation. Were you talking with Robert? The warranty dept. has since been revamped, but its still just one person which is a tough job. Sounds like you are still bent on this. I could look into it further, just send me some mail.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:18 PM
04evo2

i love my aem. i've had it on for four months and the filter doesn't have any dirt on it. by the way i live in tampa florida and it rains all the time. i stay out of puddles and thats it. i have it wrapped for better cooling. to sum it up it was my first mod so i could tell it gave me more power plus a good sound. it runs great with the combo i have and i have a very strong running Z!
Old 08-26-2004, 12:12 AM
adanande

i think that gruppe m is the best for cold air and ram air, but the rain will kill it, there not a lot of things worse that having water inside your cylinder, all it need to do is oxidise one of those rods and your jacked, and it could be subtle enough that you could be jacked and not even know it, watch out. If your engine start rocking a lot and is out of balance that is a good indicator that you have a rod that is warped due to H20.
Old 08-26-2004, 06:18 AM
compression

Water inside your cylinder is not going to warp a rod, or oxidize it. where in the hell did you hear that?

If any mist or drops of water actually make it up the tube and into the intake manifold, they will actually help the engine by cooling the intake charge. Have you heard of water injection? People choose to do this on a lot of turbocharged vehciles to help cool the compressed air (I am not referrring to an intercooler sprayer).
The temperatures are extremely hot and the pressures are very high inside the cylinder, so the water just vaporizes and exits with the exhaust.
I have no idea how water would make it down past the pistons and into the case and actually manage to sit on a rod and make it rust....especially when the rod is being constantly soaked with oil.

Why people are so deathly afraid of water is because there is a possibility that you could submerge the filter and suck up a large volume of water. Your engine cannot compress a cylinder full of water so parts fail when it tries.