Notices
Intake Exhaust Moving all that air in and out efficiently

random tech. cats problem!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 08:48 AM
matt g.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down random tech. cats problem!!

I just seen what my rand.tech. catalytic converters look like inside after only 3000miles on them! the inner catalyist came apart and clogged up the driverside almost completly and the passanger sides center of the catalyist crushed my 02 sensor. my car was loosing power like crazy at VIR this weekend and now I know why. needless to say I would stay away from these high flow cats! mine are now really high flow as I made them into straight test pipes! just something to look out for and if you have them you might want to check up on them.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:04 AM
failsafe
....for your health

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's not good. Was it a sudden drop in power or was it more subtle? Guess I'll be lifting my car this weekend to check them out. Thanks for the info Matt.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:05 AM
Wicked4u2c

Default Re: random tech. cats problem!!

Originally posted by matt g.
I just seen what my rand.tech. catalytic converters look like inside after only 3000miles on them! the inner catalyist came apart and clogged up the driverside almost completly and the passanger sides center of the catalyist crushed my 02 sensor. my car was loosing power like crazy at VIR this weekend and now I know why. needless to say I would stay away from these high flow cats! mine are now really high flow as I made them into straight test pipes! just something to look out for and if you have them you might want to check up on them.
Its too bad, people never beliveve me about this, I have seen this happen and have said this many times... IM sure this wont be the last problem we hear... Maybe everyone should check their R/T Cats to see what they look like... Hey, im interested in buying your R/T Cats if they are for sale? I want straight pipes so I figure hollow would be just fine if you are interested in selling them PM Me...
Old 04-13-2004, 09:10 AM
matt g.

the power has been dropping off for the last month or so but when i was on the track the car started loosing power very quickly and would barley pull on miatas down the straights. i would deffinitly check yours.

and i have already gutted the cats for myself.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:36 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

They have a two year warranty on them...get a replacement set.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:48 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

its funny when people say they run lean with the rt cats... the reason why that happens is you are running rich and raw fuel gets on the cat element and melts it...
Old 04-13-2004, 12:21 PM
Ultimateone

The RT cats seem to be having more and more problems on here.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:48 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

if it happens to the RT cats it happens to the Stock Cats...

how I messed mine up was going out to my car, turning it on cold, and just flooring it to show off the sound to customers etc... so dont do that to your car and yuour friends and drive it hard when its cold... you will get fuel on your cats...

fuel on cats being RT / Ken... / Cra... / or STOCK WILL Mess them up...

I have been running RT Test Pipes...
Old 04-13-2004, 09:04 PM
N4Spd

Did you notice any damage from the clogged cat?

I posted about the same problem last week.
I'm replacing them with crawford cats this weekend.

thanks,
rob
Old 04-13-2004, 10:58 PM
350ed
Professional

Good info Jason.
Old 04-14-2004, 03:56 AM
Mr. Motion

WTF! I just bought and installed a set of R/T cats a few weeks ago! I thought that this was a reputable company! Is this why Performance Nissan was running a "special sale price" on them? At over $500 for the set, if this is what I can expect to happen, this is a major rip off!
Old 04-14-2004, 04:32 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by Mr. Motion
WTF! I just bought and installed a set of R/T cats a few weeks ago! I thought that this was a reputable company! Is this why Performance Nissan was running a "special sale price" on them? At over $500 for the set, if this is what I can expect to happen, this is a major rip off!
We have sold close to 400 set's of these now plus sets sold by other vendors. I'm aware of 5 failures now (6 with Jasons). Jasons was due to a rich condition that fried the cat. We don't know about the others as R/T won't let us handle the warranty since it needs to go direct through them. With all the success v/s failures... I would say it's a very good product..... not a rip off. We don't sell products we don't believe in. If we felt there was a real issue we would dump R/T in a heart beat.
Old 04-14-2004, 06:58 AM
matt g.

mine did not melt! they actually started to slide appart ( the material is wrapped around in a big roll ). the center of the "roll" started going downstream from the exhaust pressure and broke free from itself leaving the front side of the cat to collapse on itself blocking the air flow. and since i spent over 1k getting ready for this event and not even being able to run it, i would not even think about putting them on my car again!
Old 04-14-2004, 07:20 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by Mr. Motion
no the reason we run that price is because we are not allowed to sell a set for less then $559... if RT knew, we would not be selling any from them... so yourwelcome... We are offering them at $500 to you all because we want to...

there is nothing wrong with them... stock cats would do the same thing if they got fuel on them... but stock cats will be $795 each side to replace...
Old 04-14-2004, 07:21 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by matt g.
mine did not melt! they actually started to slide appart ( the material is wrapped around in a big roll ). the center of the "roll" started going downstream from the exhaust pressure and broke free from itself leaving the front side of the cat to collapse on itself blocking the air flow. and since i spent over 1k getting ready for this event and not even being able to run it, i would not even think about putting them on my car again!
so they sstarted to melt and unwrap... the part that is holding the wrapped cat coil together melted and the rest just slid apart...

call www.randomtechnologies.com they should help you out.. if they dont... let us know we will call and be very
Old 04-14-2004, 08:30 AM
matt g.

no melting accured. they just slipped apart. I am not bashing their product just wanted to give others a heads up that they might want to check theirs. i am happier with them gutted as they sound much better.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:38 AM
matt g.

N4Spd

I ran the car at very low rpm's when i knew something was wrong and my mechanic checked the car thoroughly and it showed no signs of the catalyist making its way back in the engine. He also said it would be very doubtfull that the kind of material that random tech. uses would make it back in the motor because the material does not break into a fine dust ( that could cause oil consumpsion if sucked back into the motor.) like other kinds of catalyist material.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:42 AM
matt g.

the sound is great their is no raspyness at all. it actually sounds like it has a small turbo ( you can just hear the air rushing through them ) without the wastegate. SHHHHHH

Quick Reply: random tech. cats problem!!