Which is the best exhaust system?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 10:54 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by ares
love my injen. but as jason said, Id bet 20bucks performance wise no one on this entire forum or in the world could tel the difference on a performance basis

now soun and appearance is where you should make your choice. might sound bad to choose disregaurding performance, but its all the same for power.
TRUE!

Exhaust is what I like to call a "SMILE" mod... Biggest difference is in sound and look... do not get an exhaust and expect to be smoking m3's into your rear view...

ooooh i gotta story to tell... look for a thread in engine/drivetrain/fi... hehehe
Old 05-21-2004, 02:59 AM
picass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ask

Originally posted by Jason@Performance
TRUE!

Exhaust is what I like to call a "SMILE" mod... Biggest difference is in sound and look... do not get an exhaust and expect to be smoking m3's into your rear view...

ooooh i gotta story to tell... look for a thread in engine/drivetrain/fi... hehehe
Jason, what is the diameter in mm. of the different exhaust in the central pipe?? 76mm in the Nismo don't is more larger??
Old 05-21-2004, 01:16 PM
webcarconnection

OMG Greddy EVO 2 all the way
Old 05-21-2004, 08:26 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

I will find out this weekend when I am back in the office... I was in the office for 5 hours today so didnt have much time... I am usually there 12-14 hours so have more time to get things done... but not enough ttime still

I like the greddy EVO-2 as well.. too bad I cant keep them in stock....

oh and if who ever text messaged me about the TANABE exhaust to my cell phone... I can only read text messages and do not see who sent it so please PM me...
Old 05-22-2004, 06:09 PM
zoham55

Thanks for all the info Jason. So you would still say that the Tanabe with Fujitsubo Y pipe is the best right?
Old 05-22-2004, 10:32 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Is the best for a high powered NA car... by high powered I mean already running or planning to run headers / high flow cats or test pipes... as well as posibly cams...

if you do not plan on changing to high flow cats or headers... then the injen will yeld the most power on a NA car...

this is what I have found with the exhausts that are out to this date...
Old 05-23-2004, 01:11 AM
o snap its eric

Actually, believe it or not but i can definitly feel the difference in my Nismo ezxhuast above 3.5+rpm. I can actually chirp 3rd gear now. Before i can only do second gear.
Old 05-23-2004, 01:14 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

there is a difference in power.... it is just not an obvious power increase but it is felt...
Old 05-23-2004, 08:35 AM
zoham55

What is a good exhaust to get if I am planning on going FI??
Old 05-23-2004, 11:33 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by zoham55
What is a good exhaust to get if I am planning on going FI??
One with large diamater piping...

If you are looking for one with a SINGLE muffler and 2 exit tips (stock look) the NISMO S-Tune exhaust will be the one with the largest diamater piping in that class...

If you are looking for one with 2 seperate canisters then you have a few options... Tanabe with either the Fujitsubo or JIC Y-Pipe, Greddy Evo-2, Apexi N1...

The INJEN would work but the piping isnt large enough IMHO...

the Invidia / RS-R are nice but the piping isnt as large as the tanabe in th emid pipe and where the pipes split is not as smooth like where the tanabe splits...

no matter what exhaust you put on, you are going to get good performance out of a turbo / supercharged car.. but... keep in mind that the stock catalytic converters will steel 30-45 RWHP of what you could be getting...

we put RT High Flow Cats onto a car making 330 to the wheels with a procharger... after the cats were installed... over 380
Old 05-23-2004, 01:12 PM
little_rod

no matter what exhaust you put on, you are going to get good performance out of a turbo / supercharged car.. but... keep in mind that the stock catalytic converters will steel 30-45 RWHP of what you could be getting...

we put RT High Flow Cats onto a car making 330 to the wheels with a procharger... after the cats were installed... over 380
I have often wondered where the real bottleneck is, the stock cats or exhaust. On a car with FI, you hate to have to spend the extra $1500 on exhaust and cats, the cats would be the cheaper option of course. With there not being much there in respect to gains for the total exhaust system, a place to keep your stock parts intact has to be known. Which one is best to keep, stock cats or exhaust for FI??
Old 05-23-2004, 02:05 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's a pic of the oem Y-pipe with the heat shield removed (close-up). Notice the deep crush bends and the awful Y collector.

Whatever anyone does, do make sure what to get rid of the oem Y-pipe.

*edit* [img] tagging not working for some reason

Last edited by Gsedan35; 05-23-2004 at 02:07 PM.
Old 05-23-2004, 03:07 PM
sux2bu

Jason (or other mod gurus),

So based on this and many other threads i have read, it seems that the oem y-pipe is the most restrictive section of the stock exhaust.

Therefore, I would like to know if their is an aftermarket y-pipe that will mate perfectly to the stock exhaust (fyi - g35 coupe). I have been told that the two most popular aftermarket y-pipes (fujitsubo & JIC) will not mate properly as they have a 80mm collector and the stock exhaust has a 65 mm collector. So in essence, if I was to replace my stock oem y-pipe w/ the fujitsubo y-pipe then I would also have to purchase the fujitsubo exhaust to suffice compatability of y-pipe to exhaust. Is this correct?
Old 05-23-2004, 04:32 PM
vze4fhpv

I may be new here but I'm thinking about a Stillen System using Stillen Test Pipes in place of cats? any thoughts? It's either that or cut out the factory cats and make test pies, lol. Would the ecu flip out? I know some talanted welders. What kind of gain do you think I would get on a stock z doing this setup leaving the stock headers. Would it be worth it to change stock headers? What kind of weight do you drop loosing that stock y pipe and that heavy as a coffin mid pipe thing?

Anyone looking to do an install should check out the June 04 Super street they ahve a nice write up about it and has pictures with step by step instructions.

Last edited by vze4fhpv; 05-23-2004 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-23-2004, 05:57 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

yes the stock Y-Pipe isthe worst part of the stock exhaust system... replacing it witha Fujitsubo / JIC or other Y-PIpe will be almost the same as putting on a full cat back exhaust...

although.. the stock muffler weights a TON! So if you want to get the most out of your stock exhaust system... get rid of the stock Y-Pipe and switch out the muffler to a Greddy SP2 (only muffler replacement availble) and cut out the resonaotor in the mid pipe andreplace it with a straight pipe...

but if you want to do that... i would say just get the apexi world sport exhaust that comes with a mid-pipe and a fujitsubo or jic y-pipe...

The Stillen Cat Back exhaust is a good system... it is full cat back using an X-Pipe... You can use either the Stillen Test Pipes or one of the other test pipesavaible for this car... but... if you live some where where they have emissions test's go with a set of RT High Flow Cats... they flow closest to test pipes while keeping CARB exempt...

My car with only exhaust dynoed at 240... when I added high flow cats it dynoed at 249...

heavy coffin mid pipe thing? that is only in the G35 Sedan... the G35 Coupe mid pipe / 350z mid pipe is not very heavy at all... but the resonator on it is restrictive...
Old 05-23-2004, 06:14 PM
PhoenixINX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jason - I'm going to have to call you out here.

On turbo cars, running MORE boost... and being even MORE prone to avoiding back pressure only made 20 hp going to test pipes.

You WILL NOT gain 50 hp from cats. Geeez dude, seriously.
Old 05-23-2004, 06:33 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Was I talking about a turbo car?

Last I checked a Procharger IS and SUPERCHARGER...

Hi Dyno with Procharger only made 330

His Dyno with ProCharger / Borla headers / Borla Exhaust made 328...

TYno with Procharger / Borla Headers / Borla Exhaust / RT Cats / Tuning made 37X

Ill see if I can scan his dyno sheets or if he sees this thread Im sure he will post...
Old 05-23-2004, 06:41 PM
PhoenixINX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Superchargers react entirely differently than turbos do on exhaust systems, exhaust pulses, etc... each have different needs, and react VERY differently to systems.

Your comment on the other hand made it seem...

Supercharged stock Z + RT Cats = 50 hp.

Clarification Jason!!!!!
Old 05-23-2004, 06:46 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

appypollylogies...

i guess this wasnt saying procharger...

"we put RT High Flow Cats onto a car making 330 to the wheels with a procharger... after the cats were installed... over 380"
Old 05-23-2004, 06:52 PM
zzzya

TYno with Procharger / Borla Headers / Borla Exhaust / RT Cats / Tuning made 37X
When you add in the tuning it makes sense. Tuning the FI cars is what really makes the HP. I'm sure adding the cats made a difference, but I would bet the main reason for the jump in HP was the tuning.

Quick Reply: Which is the best exhaust system?