Notices
Japan 日本 Tokyo, Yokohama, Osaka, Ginza, etc.

Possibily Moving To Japan In The Army?

Old 04-25-2007, 09:13 AM
THE BARRON

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possibily Moving To Japan In The Army?

HEY whats up guys? i might have the chance to re-enlist to go to japan and be a driver. or something. but i really want to get out of the army and go back to cali. but going to japan and living there for a couple years and getting into the car sceen over there would be sweet. i could prob even buy an R-34. but i dont know. so does anyone know what army life is like in japan as an american? or just as an american in general? please help!!!
Old 04-26-2007, 05:27 PM
Jes-Z

Ever seen Tokyo Drift? lol.

J/k. My dad was stationed there a long time ago for about 1 yr. And he said it was tought because of the language barrier, but the food was awesome. If you think it'll benefit you go for it. I bet your bonus is awesome.

I'm a SSG, 91D (Surgical Tech). My enlistment ends this year but I won't be re-uping. good luck. and you gotta post pics of teh skyline.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:24 AM
GodZilla
Bad Mojo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First thing for sure is learn some basic japanese, it makes things a whole lot easier.

As far as living in Japan, it's definitly different than the states but I totally love it. All the people I have met are awesome.

Here are a few links for you
http://www.japan-guide.com/
http://www.sf.airnet.ne.jp/~ts/japanese/
Old 04-27-2007, 06:56 AM
Sean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

one thing to think about, is if you will get out after your Japan tour, if you intend to get out you should do so now....it will be harder to hunt for jobs and a place to live while you are over seas.
If you do go, make sure you take classes and try to get a degree, I know you have heard that a million times and likely ignored it thus far. But do it!
If you go, I will tell you a good Italian place to get spaghetti
Old 05-05-2007, 11:23 AM
Boneout JZA80
Sponsor
Shine Auto Project

i agree with everyone the language barrier is tough

and the whole car scene thing you have to go to the right places ive been there a few times and all over, only some people know about cars but the toughest is the language barrier *** and alot of the japanese you learn from school is kind of partially used, its really too proper and for old generations

people are awesome, crime rate is at a minimum * some of the only really petty crimes are done by some gaijin who steal umbrellas and bikes* food is amazing especially in the country

enjoy and good luck to you
Old 05-06-2007, 06:54 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

What part of Japan , i'm Air Force and was in Okinawa for 2 years. R34 will cost you a grip $30k+ and with the Mil rules its just not worth it , you screw up they can Take your car and its gone. GTS-T's are a better option. Here is a pic of my old r32 when i was there.
Attached Thumbnails Possibily Moving To Japan In The Army?-skyline-at-hieto.jpg  
Old 05-06-2007, 10:27 PM
Boneout JZA80
Sponsor
Shine Auto Project

Originally Posted by terrasmak
What part of Japan , i'm Air Force and was in Okinawa for 2 years. R34 will cost you a grip $30k+ and with the Mil rules its just not worth it , you screw up they can Take your car and its gone. GTS-T's are a better option. Here is a pic of my old r32 when i was there.

is your shaaken expensive ?
Old 05-07-2007, 06:17 AM
SHO-TIME

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

R34 still costs about $50K+ here in Tokyo. Just for an eg.
http://www.carchs.com/ucar/zaiko_search/syosai.php

Sha ken depends on the price of the car... just get a used car with sha ken remaining. The eg above has about 1.5 yrs of sha ken remaining.

-edit-
hmmm I guess they don't let me attach a url. Input the info and the car search engine using the url I attached.

Last edited by SHO-TIME; 05-07-2007 at 06:19 AM.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:05 AM
Boneout JZA80
Sponsor
Shine Auto Project

Originally Posted by SHO-TIME
R34 still costs about $50K+ here in Tokyo. Just for an eg.
http://www.carchs.com/ucar/zaiko_search/syosai.php

Sha ken depends on the price of the car... just get a used car with sha ken remaining. The eg above has about 1.5 yrs of sha ken remaining.

-edit-
hmmm I guess they don't let me attach a url. Input the info and the car search engine using the url I attached.

didnt you used to work @ KPMG w/ Inyork Wong? he was my neighbor for a long time said you had a clean Z

whats up brotha

Maido - mokkari maka ? genki?

hope things are well

matane !!
Old 05-29-2007, 08:52 PM
EbonyNinjaDude

I am currently living in Yokohama, Japan with my 350Z Roadster. Aside from the language barrier (which you can get around with alittle studying), the chicks are cool and the roads are smoother then you have ever seen in Cali. I am from Cali and the roads suck! Roads in Japan are an ongoing/constant project so then are in great shape 24/7....and perfect for FAST cruising in the evenings......but beware of the Cops....they drive HOT cars too. Skylines and Z's and other moded Nissans when it comes to patroling the highways. Fines are steeeeeeeep! As for the base thing I have prior knowledge and the restrictions are suckie for the most part.....(Military wants to control your every move)...Life in Japan is better if you are a civilian totally unassociated with the bases.......

Come and check it out and you meet many people that have been here for many years...and one of the reasons is that the police don't cruise around looking for people to screw-up...they just react to problems reported by others. Therefore,.....drifting can be found on Saturday nights in all the major cities....."If you know the spots...(smile)....."