Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Loose shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 02:37 PM
nkohler

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Loose shifter?

All,

First off my Z is a 2003 with 28k miles. Only JWT popcharger as a mod.

Ive noticed that over the past couple weeks slowly my shifter has been feeling quite "loose". When it is in neutral it can freely move around very easily compared to other new Z's. When in gear it can move side to side pretty easily as well and doesnt feel tightly in gear. All gears work just fine but since its so loose it makes it difficult sometimes to accurately select a gear because its so wishy washy. Could this be the shifter cup getting worn out? Do our cars have shifter bushings? I know in the 300z's that if the shifter bushings got worn out it would do this sort of thing. Anyone had this problem? I took it to Nissan and the tech said that "this is nothing to worry about." well.... I am going to insist that they make it right tomorrow, because the pre owned and new Z's do not feel this loose at all.

Ive done a search and cant find exactly what my problem is.

Thanks in advance.

Neil
Old 06-27-2005, 03:11 PM
nkohler

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

turned out to be that the bolt that holds the shifter to the shifter linkage under the car had unthreaded itself and was very loose causing the linkage to seperate. They replaced the bolt and torqued it down to spec and now it feels just like i rolled it off the show room floor. Very happy. Hopefully this will help someone out in the future.
The following users liked this post:
Luci51 (03-06-2023)