Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Rear Axel Clicking....

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 04:43 AM
tacomaboy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I though having a $30k car that clicked like so was just flat out wrong.... its certainly not something I would ignore...
Old 10-07-2005, 07:49 AM
kamz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's nothing serious but you shouldn't just ignore it. Take it in when you have time cuz I think the noise will get louder and louder if you don't.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:19 AM
Court

i have a 04 G sedan and have the same problem, mine is a auto, and everytime i put it in reverse or drive it makes a weird cracking noise.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:24 AM
Flee0588

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The clicking noise happens on almost all Z's. Kind of like the grease streaks on the windows. I just took mine to the dealership and the diagnosed the problem, just like the TSB says. But the part they need to replace is on a massive backorder since so many Z owners are getting this relaced. Just go to the dealership and they will replace it with no questions asked. You also get a free carwash!
Old 10-09-2005, 11:41 AM
richie

this clicking noise that everyone has a problem with.....it does not resemble a high pitch sqeeling noise does it? can someone describe the click noise that it makes?
Old 10-09-2005, 12:15 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Originally Posted by richie
this clicking noise that everyone has a problem with.....it does not resemble a high pitch sqeeling noise does it? can someone describe the click noise that it makes?
Put a playing card in your bike tire and then you'll know what it sounds like. It's most present at lower speeds or(for me at least) in reverse.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:24 PM
richie

ahhh...icic....okay, i got a different problem =(
Old 10-10-2005, 01:04 AM
leeboyNY
Kimchi Eater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi guys,

I'm in south korea, so I can't really get the TSB done.. So, I was wondering if I could simply try to tighten the bolts at the axle flange.. Someone said on this board that tightening was all they did to fix the clicking noise...
If not I'm gonna have to bring these bolts and others from Japan or US.
Thanks in advance..

Jason
Old 10-30-2005, 07:12 PM
redmike_02

My 05 enthusiast was clicking and they replaced one side & now 5k miles later it's doing it again. I find it a little iritating that they can't get it right the first time.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:20 PM
kamz

woohoo another TSB down. finally got mine done after waiting for 1 1/2 months for the parts.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:57 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've been waiting two months for the service bulletin parts.

Last edited by davidv; 11-17-2005 at 06:58 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-17-2005, 07:00 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by richie
It sound like dropping coins on concrete.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:28 PM
kbiz

Mine was one of the really early cars to be fixed... I had both rear axles done over a year ago. You can tighten the axle bolts, which is what the dealership kept trying over and over, but the issue is that there is just too much clearance and the noise will come back. It will make the *tink* *tink* noise usually in reverse and forward... but more noticeable in reverse. If it's really early on, it might be more like a click but mine was very noticeable by the end and it was a very distinctive *tink* noise. It sounds like if you took a small wrench and tapped it against a hollow steel drive shaft... like it's got a bit of resonance to it. Or if you tapped that wrench against one of the front metal dust shields for the brakes... *tink* I used to get it on the on ramps to the freeway, when parking... anytime the car shifted its weight or momentum (accelerating or decelerating).

The dealership I took mine to was on their third try at fixing the issue… I cam to pick up the car and started to drive it off when I heard it… at this point even the service manager was out to make sure the issue was solved. I put the car in reverse and proceeded to reproduce the noise about a dozen times, forwards and backwords, right in front of the service coordinator, the tech and service manager. There was no way around it for them at that point. I got out of my car and said, “This is getting silly now.” The service manager got on the phone to his regional service rep from Nissan who let him know that there was a fix-it-kit coming out and a TSB… Anyway, I didn’t take my car home that day but they took apart both rear axles and basically put in special spacers and special Lubricant. I’ve put on another 15k and haven’t heard a peep.

It’s not that big of a deal mechanically… they underestimated how much the axle’s splines would bind… they originally used low grade lube and had too much clearance.

By now I can’t imagine every dealership not being aware of this issue, but it’s not something you should even think about trying remedy yourself…
Old 11-21-2005, 10:24 AM
mf01

I use to have the click problem slightly, but now it seems like it's all the time. I use to pull out of the garage in the morning drive down the street and it would click when I left off the accelerator at the stop sign. Then it would pretty much go away. Now I here it more and more.

So if they replace my rear axle will they have to drain and replace my rear diff fluid? The reason I ask is because I put Royal Purple in there. I wondered if they would say anything about and I would also need to replace the Nissan stuff once I got the car back.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:38 AM
kbiz

Originally Posted by mf01
I use to have the click problem slightly, but now it seems like it's all the time. I use to pull out of the garage in the morning drive down the street and it would click when I left off the accelerator at the stop sign. Then it would pretty much go away. Now I here it more and more.

So if they replace my rear axle will they have to drain and replace my rear diff fluid? The reason I ask is because I put Royal Purple in there. I wondered if they would say anything about and I would also need to replace the Nissan stuff once I got the car back.

I'm almost sure you have the same issue... I used to only get it when accelerating from a dead stop but then I started getting it when I’d let off the gas and when accelerating while moving too… They don't replace your axles they just take them out and insert some little spacers, like special washers... I didn't get to see what was in the kit but I know it's got spacers and replacement lube. I don't know if they drain the diff but I don't think so... if they do I'm almost positive they wouldn't even care what fluid you've got in there. The only time you're going to get any arguments is when you've got a problem that they might be able to contribute to something you did against Nissan's requirements. Even then they only care if it could jeopardize their warranty claim... as in if Nissan might not pay them for the work they did. I used to work in the car business and they really are a lot more slack than people tend to think. In fact I've seen situations where the service department is hinting that a customer keep their mouth shut about a few things they've done so that it doesn't get put on paper, so to speak, and the warranty claim will go through...

My *tinking* started out as just occasional and then it was all the time and louder. Make an appointment. They'll probably check it out and then have to order the kit, so you'll have to bring it back again when the kit comes in. It was sooooo nice when I got my car back and the noise never came back!!
Old 11-23-2005, 07:44 AM
mavtais

I have this same problem on an 05. Anyone have there ABS kick on though? My car is displaying these exact symptoms, "tink" and click and then I can hear my ABS turn on, a loud humming noise, then when I hit the brakes, the actuators turn on and I can feel it in my brake pedal.
Anyone have their ABS turn on due to these sounds?
Old 11-23-2005, 11:38 PM
kbiz

Originally Posted by mavtais
I have this same problem on an 05. Anyone have there ABS kick on though? My car is displaying these exact symptoms, "tink" and click and then I can hear my ABS turn on, a loud humming noise, then when I hit the brakes, the actuators turn on and I can feel it in my brake pedal.
Anyone have their ABS turn on due to these sounds?

I've never heard of the ABS being involved... could be multiple problems... but I thought they fixed the axle problem by the 05's.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:08 AM
anotheraznguy

ok i drove my car today and it was the first time that i noticed the rear clicking..
my issue is i am lowered alot..
would they not warrant that tsb or should i go back to stock height for now?
Old 12-15-2005, 10:31 AM
kamz

Originally Posted by anotheraznguy
ok i drove my car today and it was the first time that i noticed the rear clicking..
my issue is i am lowered alot..
would they not warrant that tsb or should i go back to stock height for now?
It's not a matter of the car being lowered or not so just take your car in as is. The dealer should fix it w/o questions.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:49 AM
VIP-STATUS
Banned

Got my repacked at the dealer.Alot better! LOL

Quick Reply: Rear Axel Clicking....