Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Rear Axel Clicking....

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 03:12 PM
RobertH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my axle broke(the joint coming out of the gearbox) is this related to what yall are talking about?
Old 12-15-2005, 06:51 PM
kbiz

I doubt it... was it clicking or pinging before? Might be hard to tell at this point.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:47 PM
sisco534

I had my axles replaced so they siad , their expanation was they didnt grease well at the factory!!!! So it wears out because too much friction!!! I dont know but they fixed 9k miles since fix no other problems good luck. Mine was lowered like he said not an issuse.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:08 PM
anotheraznguy

hmm.. mine is slammed approx 3 inches.. i can't even get it up a driveway. i highly doubt the service guys will be able to get it up on a lift. without damaging something. Also i drove it again later during the day and it has disappeared apparently, the clicking only really happens when cold.

Old 12-15-2005, 10:58 PM
kbiz

maybe call the dealership and see if the hight will be a problem... It could depend on what type of lift they have. I've seen em with pretty low bumps before.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:18 AM
mf01

Well I got mine fixed 2 days ago, they did the kit (bolts, washers, pin, and grease). Today I rolled down my windows on the way to work and I can still hear the noise when I'm slowing down and pop the clutch in. Is there more to the TSB then just the bolts and washers, like maybe replacing the axles? I think the kit lessened the occurrence, but it is still there and may grow louder over time.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:44 PM
ngcharleshk

I have the nismo clutch type differential in the rear, and it is loud and makes "popping noise" in nature. So when i bought my car to the dealer and asked them to fix the clicking noise, they claimed that they could not identify which noise is which when it is mixed with my aftermarket differential noise, so they didnt want to fix it for me, I was so pissed about it, anyone have the same issue?
Old 04-10-2006, 05:38 AM
deviantZ

Originally Posted by ngcharleshk
I have the nismo clutch type differential in the rear, and it is loud and makes "popping noise" in nature. So when i bought my car to the dealer and asked them to fix the clicking noise, they claimed that they could not identify which noise is which when it is mixed with my aftermarket differential noise, so they didnt want to fix it for me, I was so pissed about it, anyone have the same issue?
That's strange, my service guy told me they would fix warranty stuff all day and night, because that's how they get paid. They probably don't see anywhere near the volume though.

I'm getting mine done this week. We definietly know that one side is bad, but they've "volunteered" to do both.

For those that have it coming back after previous repair, the tsb states (4b) that over tightening past the Nissan specified torque and/or the use of impact tools can cause repeated failure. Might be something to bring up when going in for reservicing.

Last edited by deviantZ; 04-10-2006 at 05:44 AM.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:53 AM
ngcharleshk

does anyone know what exactly is the problem? and does the rear clicking noise bring safety issues? Since I track my car a lot, I really trust my car and I dun want my axle to fall off or sth when I am going 90mph at a turn on track. The reason I am saying this is becos my dealership wont fix it because they said I have changed to aftermarket diff, and they will only fix it if I put everything back, but I cant be bothered to do that, so i m planning to leave the noise as it is.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:18 AM
liquidsilver350

I have an o4 touring had the same work done with about 13,000 miles showing, now at 17500 the clicking has started again, not as bad but i can hear it here and there! I brought the car to a new dealer who did my breaks and ordered 2 new front tires because of feathering, gunna let then know about and see what they wanna do about it!
Old 05-09-2006, 02:54 PM
halitosis

Does anyone know why it clicks? For a click to happen, something must hit another thing or frictions, etc. What are these "things" - that is, the source of the clicking sounds.

I noticed this with about 13K on the clock.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:26 PM
ngcharleshk

Originally Posted by halitosis
Does anyone know why it clicks? For a click to happen, something must hit another thing or frictions, etc. What are these "things" - that is, the source of the clicking sounds.

I noticed this with about 13K on the clock.

Any help would be appreciated.
I read the service bulletin and it has something to do with lubrication. You may wanna read it and see how you understand it, honestly, i dun really get it.
http://www.nissanhelp.com/Ownership/.../NTB04-065.htm

Please share with me if you find out about the source of the clicking sound.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:28 PM
bjr

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My bolts were on order since October of 2005 and they just came in last month or 6 or 7 weeks ago ( can't remember now)! My dealer keeps calling to come in but I'm on the road a lot right now for business. I keep reading the TSB and stories here and was upset that a bearing wasn't ordered but that is probably left over from the earlier repairs that involved replacing the whole axle, etc.?? I'm trying to figure out if when I go back they are cutting any corners and re-using anything they should not. They lubed mine and it was quiet for a month or two but it is back somewhat.

I guess I will feel better if the play is taken out but am nervous they will damage my car again. It's almost not worth it for a little click! But anyway, plus now I have to show them the cracking paint below my tail light! I can't wait to see what that develops into.

By the way, will the spline wear without the TSB fix?
Old 05-10-2006, 09:35 PM
halitosis

I just returned from a "spirited drive." I won't claim to add avalue to anyone's understanding of the clicking issue but I thought I'd offer my observations from the drive.

The noise is definately coming from the axels in the rear and only when weight is transfered to or from the rear. For instance, if I step on the gas, the the weight transfer of the car to the rear creates kind of a creak/click in the axels. The best way to describe the sound is to imagine the axle as being slightly loose where it joins up with the hub/half-shaft. The looseness then translates into a metal-on-metal contact that's not tight enough to be stiff connection. Thus something gives. The net result is the sound of metal creaking/clicking against metal.

I also noticed the click when I lifted off throttle midcorner so my weight moved from the rear to the front. This had the effect of moving weight off the rear axel. So I'm guessing that a positive or negative downforce on the rear-wheel will causing conditions to make the sound.

Regarding the TSB, I read it and the problem (from a mechanical/engineering perspective) is still not quite clear to me.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:49 PM
Zexy

Just got my fix done... It was quick and Nissan was very time efficient with the TSB.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:23 PM
jinsei888

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by anotheraznguy
hmm.. mine is slammed approx 3 inches.. i can't even get it up a driveway. i highly doubt the service guys will be able to get it up on a lift. without damaging something. Also i drove it again later during the day and it has disappeared apparently, the clicking only really happens when cold.

hey, anotheraznguy, do you go to SJSU? I could have sworn i saw your car parked on 10th street day before last

offtopic, sorry!
Old 05-17-2006, 10:43 AM
NISMOFO

I think my car might have this. But it does it when I let off the gas, and I'm in gear. I can't hear it when I'm on the throttle. My exhaust isn't loud either.

Does it matter if your in gear or not???

Also, anyone get this done that doesn't have a warranty left? Cost?

One of the biggest downsides to this is that they have to remove the rear wheels....yikes! I don't trust them touching my wheels.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:01 PM
jeffw

Originally Posted by 350Track
I think my car might have this. But it does it when I let off the gas, and I'm in gear. I can't hear it when I'm on the throttle. My exhaust isn't loud either.

One of the biggest downsides to this is that they have to remove the rear wheels....yikes! I don't trust them touching my wheels.
The easiest way to hear it is to drive next to a wall with your window down (like in a parking deck). You can hear the sound reflect back to you. I heard it giving gas or letting off. You will have to be in gear to hear it. I had it done while still under drivetrain warranty.
--
Jeff
Old 05-22-2006, 04:01 PM
MySunset350Z

guys im hearing noise coming from my rear, but i dont know if its the axles or not. the noise is coming from inside the car. its on the passenger side only and it seems as if its coming form somewhere near the rear sway area. i posted a pic below.

the noise happens at all speeds. and it sounds like a tick tick noise, kind of like metal to metal rubbing. it is random depending on how smooth or rough the road is.

i tore apart the whole hatch area to see if i could get at it, but all the happened was the noise got louder and louder. any help would be appreciated. thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Rear Axel Clicking....-imga0277.jpg  

Last edited by MySunset350Z; 05-22-2006 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:59 PM
NISMOFO

Originally Posted by 350Track

Never mind, my problem is exhaust related and the noise is echoing from under the car.

Quick Reply: Rear Axel Clicking....