Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Clutch Noise... Is this Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2002, 10:25 AM
JimmysZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Noise... Is this Normal?

Hey guys...

I hear a noise coming from my Z that I am not sure if it is something to be worried about or not. I am new to owing a 6sp and my Z only has about 85 miles on it, so I am not sure if this is normal or because its not broken in yet.

The noise occurs when I am parked in nuetral, and the clutch is NOT engaged. What I hear is something rotating, as if many ball bearings are rotating around a some sort of disk or plate. When I engage the clutch, the noise goes away. WHen I release it, its back. I park in my garage close to a wall with the drivers door open. The sound seems to be more evident when parked in garage as opposed to outside, prabably because the sounds bounce off the wall.

Again, not sure if this is normal with a stick or not. Sorry, but I am inexperienced with manuals.

Thanks in advance...
Old 12-17-2002, 06:15 AM
ChicagoEZ

my Z does the exact same thing but not all the time it seems like it only happens on a inline? Kinda sounds like a (DRY CLUTCH) on a ducatti
Old 12-17-2002, 08:32 AM
JimmysZ

46 views and no comments except one...

Come on guys...

Thanks...
Old 12-17-2002, 08:42 AM
TalonZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have lots of experience driving manual transmissions. In my opinion, what you're hearing is normal. Every car I've driven with a manual transmission emits a similar noise. The noise will not decrease or increase as the car "breaks in."

Even though the transmission is in neutral and the clutch is disengaged, components in the transmission are still turning.
Old 12-20-2002, 11:51 AM
jeffa55

I have a very similiar problem, although it is not consistent. I noticed it while coming up my driveway. I had the car in first, and pushed the clutch in when I neared the top of the driveway. When I pushed the pedal in, I heard a ticking (like ball bearings being knocked around) that slowly quieted down. The only reason I heard it was that I had the windows down. It quickly went away and it sounded as if whatever was moving in the transmission was 'slowing' as it was disengaged. I have only driven the car once since hearing this and it didn't do it... I have owned about 10 manual cars (and currently own a manual Maxima). I have never had another car make this sound and I would absolutely say that it is NOT normal or OK. I will report back when I drive the car more (this weekend)
Old 12-23-2002, 10:29 AM
marktx1

I definitely have the same clutch noise. Seems to happen when I first start the car in the mornings and when the RPMs are high. It appears to be normal to me.
Old 12-24-2002, 04:59 AM
JimmysZ

Thanks for all the replies guys!!

Eyeball... your way, way, way out there.
Old 12-26-2002, 07:21 AM
altima35

Default Re: Clutch Noise... Is this Normal?

2 days ago I started hearing the same noise you described...which is annoying but I can understand because it's a manual. But I'm also experience what I can only try to describe as a noise similar to squeaky brakes...periodically when in 1st or 2nd when I first start driving and it sound like it's coming from the transmission. It goes away after a brief time. I did hear the same metal scraping sound at 60MPH. I don't know if it's because the car is cold or what but I'm taking it to the dealership tomorrow. Reading some of the posts and relating this to friends worries me.

Originally posted by JimmysZ
Hey guys...

I hear a noise coming from my Z that I am not sure if it is something to be worried about or not. I am new to owing a 6sp and my Z only has about 85 miles on it, so I am not sure if this is normal or because its not broken in yet.

The noise occurs when I am parked in nuetral, and the clutch is NOT engaged. What I hear is something rotating, as if many ball bearings are rotating around a some sort of disk or plate. When I engage the clutch, the noise goes away. WHen I release it, its back. I park in my garage close to a wall with the drivers door open. The sound seems to be more evident when parked in garage as opposed to outside, prabably because the sounds bounce off the wall.

Again, not sure if this is normal with a stick or not. Sorry, but I am inexperienced with manuals.

Thanks in advance...
Old 12-26-2002, 10:56 AM
LA-Z

It's a ticking noise or clicking and comes when you start car, and engae 1st/2nd gear and accelerate slowly. I have 6000 miles on my car, the Tranny is PERFECT no problems at all, scept for the ticking. I'm going to get it looked at but I suspect it is nothing big.
Old 12-29-2002, 11:57 AM
articfury
Charter Member #55

I was noticing a very similar sound as well. It sounds to me like a really noisy throw out bearing. I have never heard this on a stock manual tranny in good working order. My last car had the same problem 1000 miles after the clutch was replaced with an OEM unit. The throw out bearing seized 6 weeks later. :-( I have also heard similar sounds on cars with aftermarket clutches.

I have read other threads from owners that have had their cars longer than I that complained about the noisy throw out bearing.

If everyone is not experiencing the noise in their MT, then this is not normal.

JD
Old 12-29-2002, 01:07 PM
CottonWoodz

I also have, way too much clutch chatter..
Old 01-02-2003, 12:47 AM
2003z33

I have the same prob also. My last car did the same thing.
Old 01-04-2003, 09:52 PM
A17Z

Had my Z for 4 months never heard anything. Went on vacation for 2 weeks, my car was untouched and when I got back today I started to hear the exact sound. Not sure what to do.
Old 01-04-2003, 10:35 PM
2003z33

I think it has something to do with the throw out bearing/ Grease..I know on the VW's that was issue with rattling.
Old 01-05-2003, 08:33 AM
alex30327

I have this "clutch chatter" on my car as well. I only notice it when the car is warmed up and I am sitting still with the car running in neutral. If I engage the clutch, the chatter stops. I think that this is perfectly normal for the Z. I have 6,000 miles on my car without any problems.
Old 03-04-2003, 08:58 PM
YourMomma

Originally posted by alex30327
I have this "clutch chatter" on my car as well. I only notice it when the car is warmed up and I am sitting still with the car running in neutral. If I engage the clutch, the chatter stops. I think that this is perfectly normal for the Z. I have 6,000 miles on my car without any problems.
Same experience here. After driving home and pulling into the garage, I put it in neutral. It becomes very noisy. Push the clutch pedal, and it stops.

If its a dry bearing would this be a problem, or is this normal behavior?

Are the people that aren't hearing ever parking in a garage with it in neutral after the car has been driven?
Old 03-05-2003, 05:17 AM
JimmysZ

Originally posted by YourMomma
Same experience here. After driving home and pulling into the garage, I put it in neutral. It becomes very noisy. Push the clutch pedal, and it stops.

If its a dry bearing would this be a problem, or is this normal behavior?

Are the people that aren't hearing ever parking in a garage with it in neutral after the car has been driven?
I heard from another thread about a member having other problems with their tranny and said that this issue was one of them and that the dealer was ordering a new plate of some sort to fix this problem and also was installing a whole new tranny for the other problems he was experiencing.

I only have 286 miles so I am going to give it some more time and see what happens this spring.
Old 03-05-2003, 05:52 AM
WashUJon

I have clutch chatter at 700 miles and I haven't roasted or beat on the clutch at all, since I'm in the break-in period. I'm 99% positive that the chatter is just the release (throw-out) bearing and that its normal. My '92 Mitsu VR-4 had this chatter from 46k miles (when I bought it) to 88k miles and everyone described it as noticeable but normal. The Mitsu chattered pretty darn loud, too. The chatter I get on the Z is barely noticeable and only if you disengage the clutch (pedal-in). That reminds me. We need to clear up a tiny bit of semantics here: when the clutch PEDAL is pushed in, the clutch is DISengaged. When the clutch PEDAL is released, the clutch is ENgaged. With the clutch engaged, there is some chatter, but I only really notice it in my garage or in another enclosed area. I'm honestly sure that its just a characteristic of the car. Other cars exhibit similar clutch chatter. Ask your service guy, if you're that worried. At the very least, you can hold him responsible if he says its normal and then you have a problem later...

Quick Reply: Clutch Noise... Is this Normal?