Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Water Wetter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2002, 01:40 PM
zPilott

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Water Wetter?

I would like to know what the forum members think of Red Line WaterWetter (http://www.redlineoil.com/redlineoil/wwti.htm).

Since my Z won' be seeing freezing temps, it should be safe to run with 20% glycol coolant 80% distilled water with 9-12 oz of water wetter.

A couple more questions:
Any one know what kind of coolant is "Nissan Approved?"
Any one from CA know where I can dispose of my old coolant? Can I take it to an autoparts store or Jiffy Lube like I do with engine oil?

Thanks.
Old 12-14-2002, 02:42 PM
Michael-Dallas

Yup, scirocco is right. Water Wetter is virtually a surfactant and changes the surface tension of water. It won't lower engine coolant temps, but it may help prevent detonation and overheating.

I have Water Wetter in my 300.

Also, useless tidbit of the day: the radiator cap on the 350 and SE-R is rated at 0.9 bar, the radiator cap on the 300 is rated at 1.2 bar, and the NISMO radiator cap is rated at 1.3 bar. A 300 radiator cap costs around $7 and the NISMO radiator cap costs around $40. Any of you guys planning on getting a NISMO radiator cap may reconsider and opt for a 300 radiator cap.

Michael.
Old 12-17-2002, 07:39 AM
Thunderbolt
Charter Member #88

Thanks for the radiator cap info. At our local track you are not allowed to use antifreez. If there is a wreck the antifreez is slick and hard to cean up. We use water wetter with plain tap water. Works real well. Tap water is OK as the we change fluids every other weekend. Distilled water will be better for street use. I currently use watter wetter with a 50/50 mix and have been able to run with a elec fan on my truck. Without WW I have to put the stock mech fan back on.
Old 12-18-2002, 08:00 PM
Michael-Dallas

Originally posted by Thunderbolt
Thanks for the radiator cap info. At our local track you are not allowed to use antifreez. If there is a wreck the antifreez is slick and hard to cean up. We use water wetter with plain tap water. Works real well. Tap water is OK as the we change fluids every other weekend. Distilled water will be better for street use. I currently use watter wetter with a 50/50 mix and have been able to run with a elec fan on my truck. Without WW I have to put the stock mech fan back on.
Just for clarification: plain [distilled] water is the best engine coolant available. However, 100% water is corrosive (I think that's the right term). For street use, it's recommended to have at least 30% anti-freeze to protected your radiator.

I'm like you, I use a 50/50 water/anti-freeze mix w/ a bottle of Water Wetter.

Michael.
Old 12-19-2002, 09:39 AM
zPilott

Just from reading the redline website, it seems the only reason they recommend running 20% anti-freeze (glycol) is because of the air conditioning, which could cause the coolant to freeze. The water wetter is supposed to protect against corrosion and deposits from tap water (though distilled is still recommended).
Old 12-19-2002, 11:49 AM
koryo

I use Water Wetter only because we are not allowed to use glycol at the track. Water, in this situation, is a poor lubricant, and corrosive, so i believe the ww hype and use it. As far as lowering temps, i have not witnessed anything of the sort. In fact, if i did a double blind test, i don't think i could tell the difference.

koryo
Old 12-22-2002, 06:19 PM
azaz

Being in the cooling system business and reading numerous trade publications like Cool Profits and NARSA newsletters and Automotive Cooling Journal. You need to keep at the minimum 50/50 mix of coolant and water, anything less than a 50% mixture of antifreeze and water(preferably distilled) will cause corrosion. Actually tests have proven that pure water is better than a less than 50% mix of antifreeze and water as far as corrosion is concerned. Water and aluminum do not go together well and will form Hydrochloric acid if left alone long enough.

I have also used the water wetter products when I raced motorcycles. We could only use water and Water Wetter. For the fact that antifreeze has a glycol base and is like oil and will not wash up it will mix with the water and spread on the track if something were to happen.
Water Wetter is a good product but not necessary on the street. Your cars water temperature is regulated by the thermostat that has a preset temperature from the factory which is usually 192 to 195 degrees F. Any thermostat cooler than that will not permit the car to run in closed loop and not burn the gas properly and decrease fuel mileage and increase emissions and also set trouble codes and service engine lights to come on especially on 1996 and later vehicles which have OBDII computers.

Cool Profits magazine is a very good technical magazine with tons of usefull information on air conditioning and cooling systems.

www.coolprofits.com
www.narsa.com

Last edited by azaz; 12-22-2002 at 06:40 PM.