Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Problem Solved, Undocumented Fuse Box!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 10:56 PM
mike952

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem Solved, Undocumented Fuse Box!!!

For reference,
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=14081

This deserves an all caps subject...as I it has driven me crazy...for the past 48 hours. I have to give credit to a member of zcar.com (SunsetZ) who hinted at an additional fuse box behind the battery.

Here is the hidden fusebox.
http://66.176.248.167:81/my350z/dcp_1702.jpg
http://66.176.248.167:81/my350z/dcp_1703.jpg

http://66.176.248.167:81/my350z/dcp_1706.jpg

To celebrate, I am going to drive like a madman now at 3am to releave my frustration....preciely what I wasn't able to do because of the lack of lights...

Last edited by mike952; 12-16-2002 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-17-2002, 12:22 AM
mike952

Default Continuation...

Ok,
So I go driving happy as hell then realize my radio is dark again after a few minutes.

Damm, fuse must have blown again. Arrive home, park in the garage, flip the parking light switch and the parking lights light up...but the radio light does not. So that hard-to-get-to fuse is still good.

Now what???

I turn the ignition, turn on the radio.

The radio's LCD screen is back lit. (Question: Is the base LCD back lit when on and the lights off????? or does the LCD only go on when the parking lights go on????)

I flip the parking lights (normally the radio buttons light up at this point). At this point though, the buttons do not light up.....but more unexpectedly...the radio's LCD's back light goes off -- almost as if LCD's power is reversed (i.e. dark when lights are on, lit up when lights are off)...that is why I want to know if the LCD is back lit when on and the lights are off...thanks..
Old 12-17-2002, 09:57 AM
Radian

Default Re: Continuation...

Originally posted by mike952

Now what???
Sorry guy,

"SHIFT_Warrantee Repair"

Probably best left for a trip to Nissan to check out. You may have problems directly in the stereo headunit.
Old 12-17-2002, 07:04 PM
Thumper

I think your installer screwed up the wiring while installing the TV stuff. I'm guessing that all your lighting problems didn't happen until you got your car back. I'm assuming that the TV tuner has lights that light up when the parking lights are on which would require the installer to splice into one of the wires in your car that are on that circuit. Dash lights, radio lights, gage lights, running lights etc. are all common to the same circuit. Without knowing where he tapped into this circuit you could end up dismantling the whole dash looking for the splice. A Nissan dealer will charge you for this. If he applied enough current to the wrong wire, (blown fuse) he may also have over juiced the LCD display. Have your installer fix it. You should make a list of all the lights that are not working properly, (on when they should be off, off when they should be on) seamingly unrelated problems may make sense to an electrician with a wiring diagram.

Good luck!
Old 12-17-2002, 10:56 PM
VaGentleman

The radio LCD is backlit when no lights are on. When the lights *parking or headlights* are turned on, the LCD light dims a bit, but is still backlit.

VG
Old 12-21-2002, 01:16 PM
z350z
Charter Member #13

Right. All instrumentation is brightly lit when the lights are off (daytime) but dim to your set level when the lights are on. The brightness level is set by the two buttons on the left of the instrument pod. The brightest setting is as bright as when the lights are off (useful for daytime headlight use, e.g. overcast, foggy, etc.)
Old 12-22-2002, 01:28 PM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take it to Nissan, tell them to hook it up to Consult II and find the problem. My interior lights have never worked. I finally took it in and told them to check the BCM (Body control module). Sure enough the BCM was bad. The BCM is the computer that controls most of your electronics especially those with timing events(lights, alarm, wipers, etc).