Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

In service... tire scalloping / steering wheel won't turn at standstill

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2002, 06:17 AM
themyst

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In service... tire scalloping / steering wheel won't turn at standstill

Ok another thing went wrong with my car...

In addition to the uneven tire wear / alignment problem, now the steering wheel won't turn when the car is at a standstill (which makes navigating turns a safety hazard). The car seems to steer properly when the car is moving at normal speeds though. Star nissan had the ***** to tell me "oh come back in 2 weeks when the snow is all gone" Yeah right... the cars a moving accident waiting to happen and they want me to take it back home? psh. Anyway, they took the car, then they had the audacity to tell me "If this isn't covered under warranty, its $84 dollars an hour for service". Its a brand new car with 4100 miles buddy! Nissan BETTER foot the bill. Anyway, this isn't making me feel all that great. This is a 31-32k car for christs sake... I just hope nissan acknowledges the fact that the first batch of 350s (My vin# is 970) have a load of build quality issues and that they remedy the problem with extended warranties or new cars.
Old 12-27-2002, 10:04 AM
LA-Z

Wellmy .02 cents, I have build number #869 and have no quality problems right now. 6 Speed is fine, no tire scalloping, no wheel look, no squeaks, no rattles. Nothing. Doesn't mean you DON'T have those problems, but doesn't mean that every car has it either.
Old 12-27-2002, 10:31 AM
themyst

Originally posted by LA-Z
Wellmy .02 cents, I have build number #869 and have no quality problems right now. 6 Speed is fine, no tire scalloping, no wheel look, no squeaks, no rattles. Nothing. Doesn't mean you DON'T have those problems, but doesn't mean that every car has it either.
If you don't, thats great, but there are also a great number of people who have the same problems that i do... especially the alignment issue. Just a question though, do you have the 18" wheels? (touring 6spd/performance)
Old 12-27-2002, 10:42 AM
Michael-Dallas

Do you have the key in the ignition and turned into the on position when attempting to turn the car? If not, then my guess is the steering lock has locked your wheels. AFAIK, this is pretty standard for many cars and makes it easy for a tow truck to tow your car.

Otherwise, steering should still work, but it'll be awfully hard to steer because of no power steering when the car isn't running.

Michael.
Old 12-27-2002, 10:43 AM
themyst

Originally posted by Michael-Dallas
Do you have the key in the ignition and turned into the on position when attempting to turn the car? If not, then my guess is the steering lock has locked your wheels. AFAIK, this is pretty standard for many cars and makes it easy for a tow truck to tow your car.

Otherwise, steering should still work, but it'll be awfully hard to steer because of no power steering when the car isn't running.

Michael.
yes the car was running. the car steers perfectly when the car is moving at a minimum of 10 mph... it just doesn't steer when at a standstill (with the car running)
Old 12-27-2002, 01:08 PM
themyst

Update:

Star Nissan acknowledged a defect in the rack and pinion steering system and will replace the whole unit... plus 4 new tires and an alignment. Glad this turned out for the best.
Old 12-27-2002, 02:44 PM
Michael-Dallas

Originally posted by themyst
Update:

Star Nissan acknowledged a defect in the rack and pinion steering system and will replace the whole unit... plus 4 new tires and an alignment. Glad this turned out for the best.
Yeah, no kidding. It's nice to hear that they (dealer and/or NNA) is stepping up to the plate to warranty everything.

Michael.
Old 12-27-2002, 05:14 PM
droideka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by themyst
Update:

4 new tires?!? F**K ME!!! I just ordered S03s today at a cost of $1K because I can't stand the noise anymore.
Old 12-27-2002, 05:20 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

man they were just covering themselves, its a courtesy to warn you of price should they find you caused whatever problem it is. if you know you didnt cause it, then they will be perfect.

and its crazy not to atleast complain to the dealer about the tires. they will do their best to solve your problem.
Old 12-27-2002, 05:57 PM
themyst

I'm considering asking Nissan for a new car because of the problems i've racked up on this car... especially at 4k miles with absolutely no wrongdoing on my part.

1. Bad factory alignment / insides of tires bald
2. Missing tire air cap at delivery (STILL haven't received replacement)
3. Steering mechanism failure (what if this happened right before an accident?)
4. Random 3rd gear grind
5. Stitching on passengers seat coming apart already
6. Scratched dash discovered after delivery
7. B pillar scratched badly, also discovered after delivery (Fixed with compound after delivery, but still unacceptable)
8. Assorted fit and finish issues that everyone has (no big deal) i.e. streaky windows, rattling sunroof visor, rattling shifter, window doesn't seal occasionally when door is closed.

The minor scratches and fit and finish issues aren't that big of a deal to me, i'd probably do worse to the car with age, but steering and transmission problems on a car with 4k mileage is totally unacceptable. I will talk to the original dealership where I purchased the car and calmly discuss the situation.

I'm sure many of you will ridicule this situation saying that I should have thoroughly inspected the car upon delivery, but is it truly feasible to check a supposed brand new car for every single type of defect? I just went over the wheels and body and assumed everything was well. However, this is a situation that I do not find acceptable... since many of the other problems wouldn't get fixed under warranty since they have no proof that the damage was done before delivery.

Anyway, I'm sure if you guys were in the same disappointing situation i'm in right now, you'd consider doing the same thing. And I did take the CAI off before it went in.
Old 12-28-2002, 10:39 AM
Michael-Dallas

Unless your 350 fits under the Lemon Law, then you may have some difficulty in getting a free replacement. Start consulting Lemon Law attorneys...?

It's certainly depressing to see that you've had so many issues w/ your 350. Personally, I would overlook the normal wear'n'tear items that are wearing prematurely, yet still covered under warranty. The things that would "frighten" me, however, is the tranny grind and steering rack. I am paranoid to let any dealer replace major components on my 350, even under warranty. If anything, I'd feel my 350 would no longer be "perfect," but a franken-Z instead.

Good luck and hope everything turns out good for you.

Michael.