Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

The ugliest Z ever...

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2002, 08:41 PM
crashandburn420
Charter Member #05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation The ugliest Z ever...

showed up at my dealership this morning. After waiting almost a full year for the sb enthusiast that I ordered Feb.1, it showed up this morning. After they forgot to build my original order, they reassigned me to this car. I am going to go to the dealership in the morning to take digital pictures, but I can't believe that this vehicle ever made it out of the plant! On both front quarter panels, a series of deep gouges in the primer that were painted over run from the tops of the wheel wells down and back to the z logo. This was obvious after about 30 seconds from 10 feet away! Does Nissan not sand the primer before painting? It looks like a shitty bondo job! The gap between the roof and the rear hatch on the driver side is probably less than .25", on the driver side it probably more than .50". Very, very obvious! The Sentras on the lot have a better fit and finish, so do most very used cars! I will follow this up with pictures and micrometer readings tomorrow if I can. I am definitely not taking delivery of this piece! It also has bubbled clear coat and some spider webbing on the hood! VIN 6643 is cursed and Nissan should not want this car on the road!!! I will be contacting Nissan first thing in the morning. Meanwhile, my dealer acts like this is all no big deal and that I should hurry up and decline it so that they can sell it at a markup! The Nissan pre-order horror saga continues...
Old 12-26-2002, 09:01 PM
Jill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alan-
I'm really sorry to hear that. Let us know what happens when you contact NNA. I'm really sorry about your bad luck. Any way you can find a dealership around you that has one on the lot? Good luck...
-Jill
Old 12-26-2002, 09:10 PM
crashandburn420
Charter Member #05

No one around me yet. Bad thing is, I just found out that I am going to Ft. Benning in January for a couple of weeks of training and leaving for Kuwait for six months in February. I was really looking forward to the car for a few weeks before I have to leave. Thanks for the sentiments... Alan
Old 12-27-2002, 08:31 PM
crashandburn420
Charter Member #05

Well, here's the pics of the Z that I ordered February 1 that just came in. Needless to say, Nissan has already been sent these photos. A real shame...
See pics that don't express how bad this really is...
Old 12-27-2002, 08:41 PM
marcZZZ
not a regular pain in the ass

Default I can't believe this story, the worst!!!!

Originally posted by crashandburn420
No one around me yet. Bad thing is, I just found out that I am going to Ft. Benning in January for a couple of weeks of training and leaving for Kuwait for six months in February. I was really looking forward to the car for a few weeks before I have to leave. Thanks for the sentiments... Alan
Hey Alan, I almost cried for you when I read your thread...I can't believe that Nissan would do this to you....I am so sorry that you have to leave and maybe not have your car...How about just starting over with a new order and maybe some other special considerations(free options, free shipping from another dealer, free flight to pick up another car in another state) To sell a car with such lemon qualities would ruin the 350Z reputation and name. Let me know if you ever come to town again , I'll buy you dinner and let you drive my Z to your hearts content. Hope you had a good holiday, hope your new year is better. You will be in my thoughts when you are in Kuwait. Take care Alan, Marcy
Old 12-28-2002, 08:24 AM
ksj

I hope your problem is the same as mine. What I thought were deep scratches were in fact remnants of the glue from the plastic it's shipped in. I was really annoyed the night I got the car home, but then I took a fingernail to it to see how deep it was and it moved! I little bit of elbow grease and they were soon all gone.

Another member had the same problem with the rear hatch and the dealer fixed it, after 1st saying it could not be adjusted. Here's the original thread, which has the fitment specs:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....=hatch+and+fit
Old 12-28-2002, 08:51 AM
ttheisen93

Good for you! Enjoy Ft Benning! You going for Ranger school or Airborne (although I heard Airborne moved somewhere else)? I went to Airborne in the Summer of 1990, it was hot hot hot! This is definitely the best time of year to go.

Craig
Old 12-28-2002, 08:59 AM
Stone Z

Exclamation

What I can't believe is that they put a dealer sticker on your car!?!?

Man, I'd be pissed as hell!
Old 12-28-2002, 11:43 AM
crashandburn420
Charter Member #05

It's definitely not glue or anything else that can be taken off. You can actually take your hand and run over it to feel the depth of the gouges. It really looks like someone took a grinding wheel to the car and then just painted over it.
As far as exactly what training, I have no idea yet. I am merely going to Kuwait with all of the troops as field support for some equipment we have going over there. Was told that they want me to complete some crash-course training before deloyment.
And yes, the dealership sticker does **** me off. It's just not my biggest problem right now. I had very clearly asked them not to put any stickers or emblems on the car, but they did anyway.
Nissan is working diligently on this problem to find a way to keep the dealership from selling this car to anyone and has asked me to not turn down delivery of this car until monday. I am really starting to lose faith in Nissan, the dealership, and the preorder process. This is the second attempt of Nissan's to get me my pre-order vehicle. They forgot to build the first and now this. By the time this is over, I will probably be pushing a year and a half to get my car. Not good!
Old 12-28-2002, 03:01 PM
BigIronBird

Originally posted by ttheisen93
Good for you! Enjoy Ft Benning! You going for Ranger school or Airborne (although I heard Airborne moved somewhere else)? I went to Airborne in the Summer of 1990, it was hot hot hot! This is definitely the best time of year to go.

Craig
B.S. Even though it's the South it still gets cold. When I was qualifying on the M16 water Bilvets had half frozen water. Fort Benning just sucks altough Victory Drive wasn't half bad till they cleaned it up. I'm sorry to hear about your car and even more so for having to go to Fort Benning at all. That place sucks anytime of year. Wish they was someway to help!