Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Tire FEATHERING: FYI

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 07:57 PM
Pit Bull

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by navybulldog68

Thanks for the info. I just went to that site and read there review of the Z. I also wrote the editor a letter. I am now suspecting my dealer didnt realign my car when they changed my tires. I asked the service advisor today for a copy of the alignment specs, he says they are in the computer, but hes not allowed to give them to me. I think this smells like a cover up. what do you guys think, am I paranoid or what?
Did he pull his pants down and stick his bare *** in your face after he told you that? What a bunch of crap. I have 3000 miles on my Z now and the tires are wearing evenly. At what mileage are you guys seeing the feathering start? Or maybe I am one of the lucky ones. Please tell me I am.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:07 PM
navybulldog68

Originally posted by Pit Bull
Did he pull his pants down and stick his bare *** in your face after he told you that? What a bunch of crap. I have 3000 miles on my Z now and the tires are wearing evenly. At what mileage are you guys seeing the feathering start? Or maybe I am one of the lucky ones. Please tell me I am.
I first noticed my tires were feathering around 7500 miles. by the time I was made aware of the problem and actually inspected the tires my feathering most likely started at about 5000 miles.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:40 PM
ChinaClipper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My feathering originally started at 6,000 miles.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:36 PM
blaze.80

I think this smells like a cover up
I have to agree with you. When I asked for my specs my service advisor always gave them to me. They have to keep a copy so they get paid from the warranty work.
The problem I have is I had to take my car in 4 times before they actually swapped my tires properly even though I told the guy the feathering should be on the outside last month. It's soooo nice riding on newer tread after the swap. I can actually enjoy the car on my drive in during morning traffic.
I think he took my threat of talking to a LL lawyer somewhat serious when I dropped it off yesterday. I gave him a list of all my problems with their TSB's and told him I wanted them fixed. When I picked up my car he told me all the stuff was on order and they will be in contact with me next week for me to come back in to fix them all at once.
The thing that smells fishy to me is he opened my work order on MLK for the tire problem, and yesterday he said he will not close it until they finish all the work next week, even though that was for the tires.

My feathering started at 5k and I started talking to the dealer about it then. Now 3k later you can see it.

Last edited by blaze.80; 01-23-2004 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-24-2004, 12:29 AM
CottonWoodz

Here is something to ponder..

There has been an abundance of posts here by "newbies" about their EVOs breaking, transmission problems etc. that most of us do not experience.

I am not going to say anything on my suspicions on whose starting these rumors, but I think this is bringing unnecessary discredit to our EVOs and Mitsubishi.

I think it should only be fair that all of these mechanical problems must be accompanied by pictures, dealership names, etc. that would substantiate these claims.

Some cars do get problems, but a lot of us abuse our EVOs as well.

You guys with me?

In San Antonio TX for College!

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthr...threadid=61038
Old 01-24-2004, 03:21 AM
hwj

I noticed mine at about 5500 miles last June/July. Waited until the "replacement" RE040s were in during the late October timeframe to get replaced. Mileage then was about 10,000+; and the "Noise, noise, noise" on the original tires.

Just clicked over 12, 000 yesterday, nothing to report [so far at least]

Not sure if I'm starting to drift to the right though, could be just tram-lining from traffic ruts but can't tell. Snow here for like the next three-four days so I won't be able to even look into this part of the equation for at least 10 days... and I'm still concerned about the "time" factor and NNA's desire to push this off onto our wallets.

What has the results been so far for any of us who've gotten the latest TSB alignment and gone on to a different tire and or slightly larger/wider size? Is it "Deja Vu all over again?"
Old 01-24-2004, 06:01 AM
DriveI65

Maybe the service manager is paranoid, lazy or as you think did not perform the alignment (or all three). When I had mine aligned I asked for the before and after alignment sheets he never blinked an eye. The service manager, mechanic and advisor went over them with me and offered anecdotes about the Nissan engineer who explained what they had to do to properly align the car. No problems after 3000 miles.

BTW, I had to replace my tires at 18.000 miles but the front tires were not the reason. It was the rear tires that hit the wear bars that caused me to replace them with Bridgestone S03's for a higher wear factor. The 040's are too soft but turn to hard plastic below 30 degrees. I hated them.
Old 01-24-2004, 09:11 AM
only1

Is it possible to change just the front tires, instead of all of them? Im wanted to switch the ties to the Bridgestone SO3's. I am stuck replacing my tires, sinse the dealers and NNA wont.
Old 01-24-2004, 09:26 AM
grifferjr

Originally posted by hwj
Autoweek is looking for our comments for their Long-Term test of the 350Z in the test fleet now.

I saw the request in this week's edition [Jan. 26th] on page 13.

We should all email them and let them know what's going on. Their address is: autofile@crain.com

An opportunity that shouldn't be missed!
thank you for the info about autoweek. i have just sent them an email. i am going to try and attatch it here to try and urge everyone else here to do the same thing. we can ***** all we want here but if we do not take responsibility in letting the public know, Nissan may never come around. Right now i get the feeling that major car publishers, reviewers, etc. simply see this as a sparse minor cosmetic problem. we have to make sure that everyone realizes that in fact it is quite the opposite.

To whom it may concern,

From being heavily active in an owner based internet forum i have been informed that you are inviting comments about the Nissan 350z. I would be more than happy to report a brief synopsis of my troubles. I only hope that you have time to read this concerning the fact that you are undoubtedly getting hammered with numerous responses.

I have a 2003 redline 350z touring automatic with the triptronic alternate transmission. Biggest problem to date is the notorious tire feathering and abnormal tire wear. Nissan has really blundered this up and from repeated reports seems to have yet find a fix. My personal case is that i have gone through one set of fronts and from what i have read, this is the least out there. Many owners have gone through three or four sets of tires, and are currently winning cases through their state's lemon laws. The only individuals who have reported that they fixed their feathering have been those that have installed the aftermarket nismo-s suspension. Makes one wonder doesnt it? Is it truly and only a "toe-in" problem, like "Mother Nissan" says it is.

On top of this there are other problems that thousands of other owners are also having, all minor in comparison to the feathering (except for the tranny problems that i am not having due to the fact that i have the auto). I am also having the grease streaks on the inside of my windows after rolled down due to a faulty felt something-or-other in the door panel. I am choosing to not have this fixed because the horror stories of door rattles and window problems afterwards is by far worse. Also the bose amplifier has been recalled and in my opinion like many others, sounds worse now due to the lack of response from the bass controls. The car is noisy on cold start ups in the winter mornings and the door panels are starting to creak and vibrate with every passing mile.

I could go on and on about a few more problems but as I said earlier, I am trying to be brief. I urge you to go to the website www.my350z.com and visit the "repairing forum" and be preapared to spend a day or so going through the tire feathering thread alone. Not to mention the other issues that this so called "Nissan Flagship" car has. With that I will say goodbye and thank you for your time. Hopefully through your help the general public can be made aware of this issue and Nissan will be forced to step up to the plate and resolve these issues.

Thank you,
John Horvat.

ps:weird thing is that some 2004 owners are starting to report these same issues.
Old 01-24-2004, 09:48 AM
waldf

Originally posted by Pit Bull
At what mileage are you guys seeing the feathering start?
It noticed at 6000 and by 9000 I couldn't stand the noise anymore. Dealer did TSB ("set toe to max, and swapped tires from side to side" according to the report)

Cupping/Noise gradually came back, and at 17,000 was roaring as loudly as ever.

On NNA's instruction I took it back to the dealer, who re-did the alignment (but not the side to side swap again), and who is going to bat for me on new tires. Still waiting for a decision from NNA. This may make you chuckle - the NNA advisor I spoke to said he also had a Z, and it was also roaring!

Here's a twist, but it may be unrelated: while it was in the shop, I asked them to look at a rattle from underneath the car. Their answer is I need new dampers - they have a kit on order, and will replace them under warranty.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:32 AM
ChinaClipper

Originally posted by only1
Is it possible to change just the front tires, instead of all of them? Im wanted to switch the tires to the Bridgestone SO3's. I am stuck replacing my tires, since the dealers and NNA wont.
Yes - but be sure to stick to the original tire size.
Old 01-24-2004, 12:02 PM
glove

Talking Re: good luck

Originally posted by kbsig106
Nissan conducted the Final Fla. LL repair on 1/5/03 (feathering, crooked steering wheel and drifting to the right). Problems have since resurfaced with the clicking from the right rear. I spoke with the NNA tech and the NNA LL rep via 3-way and the tech agreed that he heard the "clicking" sound during the final repair - but since I didn't list it on the LL case file, he didn't fix it. I went on to explain that I wasn't being extremely picky, but if he wanted to push the issue - I'll be happy to make a list of the current problems that I'm "over-looking" IE: mirror rattle - to which I asked him if he heard it.... answer was yes but since I didn't ask for it to be repaired - they didn't. He also stated they weren't going to make the car brand new for me.

On 10/31 they re-torqued my rear axel assembly. Two days ago the very same clicking sound returned and the rear end came loose in less than three months. This will be my 2nd repair of the rear axel - if it comes loose again I'll LL their a$$ for that repair also.

The NNA tech stated that the right side alignment numbers have to be higher than the left? Why? He also explained that the caster/camber and toe on the right which were set above the MAX were within spec. This tells me they're trying to set the right side above the max settings just to keep her straight.

In the end I told them I was disappointed with the way they were handling this problem. I told them NNA needs to step up to the plate and make this right - period. I also told them that it looks extremely fishy that they would change the suspension on the 2004.5 for "ride comfort and quality".... Of course I stressed the word "quality" because what I have is junk.

Hey You would think a little loc tight may help that rear axel from comming loose. Show them a $6.00 tube of loc tight and see what they say.
Old 01-24-2004, 12:06 PM
glove

Default Re: Re: good luck

Originally posted by glove

Hey You would think a little loc tight may help that rear axel from comming loose. Show them a $6.00 tube of loc tight and see what they say.
I forgot to mention tell them to use the loc tight on the fastners not the axel's
Old 01-24-2004, 02:38 PM
bhobson333

Originally posted by ChinaClipper
Yes - but be sure to stick to the original tire size.
Oh, not necessarily. A lot of people have tried a lot of different tire sizes (including myself) with good results. Check the Modifications/Wheels-Tires forum.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:08 AM
lew f

Originally posted by CottonWoodz
That is the most misleading info I have read....

That is your basis on the feathering problem? Are you somekind of engineering god? So its a suspension problem? Its because of the bounce right? What kind of tests did you perform to come to this conclusion? Cause its kind of funny that after my TSB alinment, I have NOT had a feathering problem after 12K+ miles..

So my rear wheels on my lude must of bounced like that, cause they used to feather too....Funny I never change the suspension setup on that neither..
Cotton;
You have been more fortunate than others. Your lucky. Because I had a good service manager they quickly aligned my car at 1400 miles. However the front tires had to be replaced at 9400. I now have 14K and the road noise is coming back and the feathering is starting on the outside (I know it should feather on the inside). I have already filed for LL because at 9400 miles there was no sign of a fix and I learned after to talking to Nissan customer service (there is an oxymoron) that they really didn't seem to care. So, my alternative was to protect myself, for once i went past 12K, I would be at Nissan's mercy. I love the car, but i am tired of not of the BS.
I am waiting for the court date to be assigned.

Last edited by lew f; 01-25-2004 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:17 AM
BlueDragonZ

Well, if it wasn't apparent before it is now. I started noticing the road noise at around 7,500 right after my 4th oil change. I wanted it to become more noticeable so that there's no questions when I bring her in. Should I even bring the tire feathering issue to my tech? Well regardless if I do or not I'm already having the front tires replaced anyway. I guess it would be better that I have noted this problem.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:20 AM
lew f

Originally posted by grifferjr
thank you for the info about autoweek. i have just sent them an email. i am going to try and attatch it here to try and urge everyone else here to do the same thing. we can ***** all we want here but if we do not take responsibility in letting the public know, Nissan may never come around. Right now i get the feeling that major car publishers, reviewers, etc. simply see this as a sparse minor cosmetic problem. we have to make sure that everyone realizes that in fact it is quite the opposite.

To whom it may concern,

From being heavily active in an owner based internet forum i have been informed that you are inviting comments about the Nissan 350z. I would be more than happy to report a brief synopsis of my troubles. I only hope that you have time to read this concerning the fact that you are undoubtedly getting hammered with numerous responses.

I have a 2003 redline 350z touring automatic with the triptronic alternate transmission. Biggest problem to date is the notorious tire feathering and abnormal tire wear. Nissan has really blundered this up and from repeated reports seems to have yet find a fix. My personal case is that i have gone through one set of fronts and from what i have read, this is the least out there. Many owners have gone through three or four sets of tires, and are currently winning cases through their state's lemon laws. The only individuals who have reported that they fixed their feathering have been those that have installed the aftermarket nismo-s suspension. Makes one wonder doesnt it? Is it truly and only a "toe-in" problem, like "Mother Nissan" says it is.

On top of this there are other problems that thousands of other owners are also having, all minor in comparison to the feathering (except for the tranny problems that i am not having due to the fact that i have the auto). I am also having the grease streaks on the inside of my windows after rolled down due to a faulty felt something-or-other in the door panel. I am choosing to not have this fixed because the horror stories of door rattles and window problems afterwards is by far worse. Also the bose amplifier has been recalled and in my opinion like many others, sounds worse now due to the lack of response from the bass controls. The car is noisy on cold start ups in the winter mornings and the door panels are starting to creak and vibrate with every passing mile.

I could go on and on about a few more problems but as I said earlier, I am trying to be brief. I urge you to go to the website www.my350z.com and visit the "repairing forum" and be preapared to spend a day or so going through the tire feathering thread alone. Not to mention the other issues that this so called "Nissan Flagship" car has. With that I will say goodbye and thank you for your time. Hopefully through your help the general public can be made aware of this issue and Nissan will be forced to step up to the plate and resolve these issues.

Thank you,
John Horvat.

ps:weird thing is that some 2004 owners are starting to report these same issues.
John:
It's not wierd its a shame! I too have sent an email to the editor of Autoweek.
Lew
Old 01-25-2004, 11:21 AM
BlueDragonZ

I just sent an email to Autoweek.
Old 01-25-2004, 12:45 PM
only1

Well after getting some responses, I maytry to go through the Indiana LL to get new tires/new car. I have been in the dealer 3 times with the feathering issue and they cannot fix it. Indiana law requires 4 times though. So should I go into another dealer and see if they can fix, just to get the 4? Also, do I have the same legal rights since I am a second owner of the car, though I only have 13000 miles and the car is about 15 months old (personally I have only had it for about 5 months)?
Old 01-25-2004, 04:11 PM
danotto

Only1, did you buy your car used from a Nissan dealer? I would seriously doubt that the LL applies to used cars, could be wrong though.

Quick Reply: Tire FEATHERING: FYI