Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

someone cut me off ang guess what happened?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 04:31 PM
2k3silver350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default someone cut me off ang guess what happened?

well i just walked in the door and i'm shaking with rage. i was at a four way stop light and my light went green for me to turn left. a person at the oposite side of the stoplight decided to try to jump out in front of me. i slammed on my brakes to avoid hitting them but skidded and my back right tire hit the curb. there is a few scratches on the rear wheel but nothing done to the body. i'm assuming it's just out of alignment and nothing more because the wheel is titled like / instead of like |

what the hell do i do. i've only had this car since saturday. i'm so freaken pissed and i don't wanna pay for anything so hopefully that's all it is. anyone have any ideas. this just happened like 10 mins ago.
Old 01-15-2003, 06:46 PM
zPilott

From what I have read, the camber on our cars is not adjustable, so I dont think it is an alignment issue. It sounds like it might be something bent
Old 01-15-2003, 09:18 PM
Cyn

Out of curiousity, how far did you slide and how fast were you going before you pinned the brake? Sounds like either you bumped/scratched at an unlucky angle, or you hit the curb hard. What happened to the ABS and the EBD? Any ideas . . .
Old 01-15-2003, 09:22 PM
2k3silver350z

i wish i had a diagram to show you the inter section. i was going like 10 around the corner when he pulled out once he did i slammed on the brakes but the back end just slid out and only the back right tire hit. at this point is was barely moving maybe right around 5mph. our roads are still a little wet from yesterday so that probably didn't help.
Old 01-15-2003, 09:24 PM
2k3silver350z

Originally posted by zPilott
From what I have read, the camber on our cars is not adjustable, so I dont think it is an alignment issue. It sounds like it might be something bent
and our camber has to be adjustable some how. if not we could never get our cars aligned if it goes out of alignment.
Old 01-16-2003, 05:51 AM
mrZ

I hit curbs all the time in my mr2. Unfortunatelly it sounds like something is bent. There is a lot of parts there that can give, just hope it's a cheap one and one that's easy to get too. Since the impact wasn't severe enough to bend or crack the wheel, it's not that bad. You will have to either have your insurance cover it or pay for it yourself. I doubt that it will be more expensive then your deductable so it's better to just to bite the bullet and pay up.
Old 01-16-2003, 10:10 AM
2k3silver350z

well i wouldn't go through insurance unless it's over 1400$ anyways.

the parts like 60$ with an hours worth of labor and a new aligment to check the toe and yes the camber is adjustable but not all too much. it's one of the arms that bolts in between the chasis and the brake that's bent and it's bent pretty badly. everything else including the knuckle is fine and there is very little curb rash on the wheel. i should be able to get it fixed at a rim repair shop, but probably wont as i'm getting new ones next month anyways.
Old 01-16-2003, 02:32 PM
Cyn

Hmm , . . . Is it just me or is no one else wondering why the Zs are slipping with the EBD and ABS??
Old 01-16-2003, 03:11 PM
2k3silver350z

because abs doesn't stop a sidewards motion. it'll stop weight from front to back but not a vehicle that is point straight but sliding right or left.
Old 01-16-2003, 03:24 PM
koba8

Not to be a downer but I had a similar "diagram" on a car I was driving a few years ago and I hit a curb pretty bad trying to avoid an animal in a really bad storm (ended up spinning sideways, which was preferable to hit the thing and maybe getting some lift and spinning). I bent the outer attachment of the rear axle. Kinda sucked.
Old 01-16-2003, 04:39 PM
2k3silver350z

well i got lucky and only bent that connecting rod. if it wasn't snowing i would takes pics. the put it up on the lift and removed the wheel and that's all they could see wrong with it. the camber is somewhat adjustable but not much at all on the car. its all done with one of the controlling arms. least it's only 160 and not a few grand worth of damage.
Old 01-16-2003, 04:45 PM
Cyn

2k3

Thanks. Not sure if it will be any better but I suggest the gas pedal instead of the brakes the next time something like that happens. At least, that's what I'd do. Besides, you do have about 287hp under your belt.
Old 01-16-2003, 05:03 PM
2k3silver350z

yeah well i was on the gas but i didn't think the car would slide out like that on me. as soon as i realized the car was skidding i stepped on the throttle and steered into the skid (like i was taught at defensive driving class when i was younger) it corrected but not in enough time. if i wouldn't have done that the whole car would have smacked into the curb instead of the right rear wheel. if i ever find that person i will beat the living **** outta them.
Old 01-18-2003, 08:42 AM
soulswimmer

Electronic driving aids can't change the laws of physics.
Old 01-18-2003, 11:09 AM
2k3silver350z

Originally posted by soulswimmer
exactly, but the whole thing could have been avoided if that jackass hadn't pulled out in front of me.

it almost happened again today but i almost got clocked on the passenger side of the car this time. same intersection and everything. once again someone else rolled through the light and almost nailed me. the bad thing is i have to drive through that intersection to get to my apartment. if i would have gotten hit i would have beat the living **** out of the old man driving the other car.
Old 01-18-2003, 05:03 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by soulswimmer
ditto, brake all you want, do whatever, but the tires only have so much traction, beyond that what can it do? the VDC and TCS were designed to keep the back from drifting in front of the front tires, but nothings fool proof, it is severely limited by the amount of traction the tires can give it in the places it needs to use it.
Old 01-18-2003, 05:06 PM
MovingViolation

ouch
Old 01-18-2003, 07:44 PM
ZEyeDoc

Originally posted by 2k3silver350z
if i would have gotten hit i would have beat the living **** out of the old man driving the other car.
Stop and think about what you just said. Realize that if you "beat the living **** out of the old man", you'll likely end up in jail thinking about your Z rather than driving it. People drive like idiots but that's not an excuse to act like one.
Old 01-18-2003, 09:13 PM
2k3silver350z

Originally posted by ZEyeDoc
Stop and think about what you just said. Realize that if you "beat the living **** out of the old man", you'll likely end up in jail thinking about your Z rather than driving it. People drive like idiots but that's not an excuse to act like one.
it's a figure of speach pal. i probably woudn't have done anything besides yell and scream at the guy for the next hour. it's another way of expressing how pissed i could have been. hell if i would have hit him it woulda probably killed the guy anyways. it would have been straight inline with his door with me going 40mph. so i dont think beating him up would have been a possiblity.
Old 01-19-2003, 09:22 AM
Intrepid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Moral of this horrible Story:

Treat ALL Traffic Lights like Stop Signs. Just because it's green does not mean you can go - LOOK both ways first.

Quick Reply: someone cut me off ang guess what happened?