Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems
View Poll Results: How do you feel about the Z's ride quality?
It's a sports car, dammit. I love the ride!
35.45%
The ride is pretty firm, but that's the price you pay for the great handling.
25.40%
I wish the ride were better, but I tolerate it.
11.11%
I plan to mod my suspension to improve the ride/reduce the bounce. Even after the cost of the mods, the Z is a good deal.
11.11%
The ride is too harsh/bouncy and this significantly detracts from my enjoyment of the Z. Nissan should have got it right the first time.
16.93%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Ride Quality / Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 04:54 PM
mark754

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poll: Ride Quality / Suspension

There are threads about the ride quality and suspension of the Z, but I thought a poll would be helpful to get a better idea of overall opinions on this topic. This seems to be a significant factor influencing driver satisfaction and no doubt affects prospective buyers' decisions on whether to buy a Z as it's currently set up.

Sorry if this has already been done.
Old 01-27-2003, 05:16 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

From your choices, I think you might be misunderstanding what some of us are complaining about. It isn't the stiffness, it is the seeming mismatch between shock and spring rates that causes residual bouncing in certain situations. I would go with your last choice, but harshness isn't related to the bouciness to me.

I'll take a fairly stiff ride, what I'm complaining about is the bouncing the car does in certain situations that other sports cars I've owned/driven haven't had (older 911, Corvette, etc). I don't consider that related to harshness at all.
Old 01-27-2003, 06:00 PM
Intrepid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. It's the bouncing up and down, up and down, up and down. Nissan should have gotten this right from the start. I plan on changing my shocks/springs.
Old 01-27-2003, 06:22 PM
mark754

Yes, I realize that most of the complaints have been about the porpoising, but I think I recall reading some complaints about the harshness as well.

By the way, you guys that plan to change out the shocks and/or springs, what would you estimate the total cost to be? I guess it depends on what setup ends up being the best solution (based on the trial and error of current owners), but from what I've read, it might range anywhere from $500 for a set of shocks to $2,000 for that Tien setup.
Old 01-27-2003, 08:14 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

How about a category for those of us who think it is just fine as is?

All of your choices at least imply something is deficient with the ride. There isn't in my case at least.
Old 01-29-2003, 07:26 PM
ttheisen93

Mine's solid as a rock on all kinds of pavement.
Old 01-29-2003, 08:17 PM
Boomer

Default poll

This subject has been done to death. Some people will do nothing, others will change it. I have already changed the cause of the harshness IMHO, the OE tires. Whether I do anything else will depend on how the car acts after the new tires have a chance to get some wear on them. The bounce is still present, but I'm in no hurry to do anything more.
Old 02-03-2003, 07:01 PM
Boomer

Default Re: poll again

Originally posted by Boomer
This subject has been done to death. Some people will do nothing, others will change it. I have already changed the cause of the harshness IMHO, the OE tires. Whether I do anything else will depend on how the car acts after the new tires have a chance to get some wear on them. The bounce is still present, but I'm in no hurry to do anything more.
I e-mailed Koni about adjustable shocks and my contact said they will be out in early fall for the 350Z.
Old 02-22-2003, 11:49 AM
mark754

Well, the feedback from this poll thus far is that over 1/3 of the respondents aren't happy with the Z's suspension as it's currently set up.

Hopefully Nissan is aware of this issue so they can decide whether it warrants any revisions for the '04 model year.

Or it could be that similar results would be obtained in a poll for any other sportscar
Old 02-22-2003, 08:54 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by mark754
Well, the feedback from this poll thus far is that over 1/3 of the respondents aren't happy with the Z's suspension as it's currently set up.

Hopefully Nissan is aware of this issue so they can decide whether it warrants any revisions for the '04 model year.

Or it could be that similar results would be obtained in a poll for any other sportscar
Your last sentence is probably true, the law of 1/3rds. It happens so much: 1/3 for, 1/3 against and 1/3 ambivalent.

However, every drive I take slaps me in the face with the damn "BOUNCE" and my enthusiasm for the car sinks a little lower. I plan to be pro-active and open a file on it w/NNA, but I am not hopeful the flaw will be rectified on any of the 2003s, maybe on the 2004s, but don't hold your breath.
Old 02-23-2003, 01:42 PM
droideka

Originally posted by Boomer
However, every drive I take slaps me in the face with the damn "BOUNCE" and my enthusiasm for the car sinks a little lower. I plan to be pro-active and open a file on it w/NNA, but I am not hopeful the flaw will be rectified on any of the 2003s, maybe on the 2004s, but don't hold your breath.
Although NNA has been helpful with several issues, I think going down this road would be a serious waste of time. You're going to have to resign yourself to the aftermarket if you want help.

Believe me, the stock suspension pains me as much as it does you. I was all set to get new wheels, the NISMO sideskirts and some other cosmetic enhancements when I realized that at the end of the day, I'd still be pissing and moaning about the stock dampeners. For me personally, it's better that my Z handles and drives better than it looks. Wheels will be the icing on the cake that I won't change out until I've worn through my new S-03s.

I'm getting the full NISMO kit w/sways. I suggest you look into the same.
Old 02-23-2003, 02:51 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by droidekaus
Although NNA has been helpful with several issues, I think going down this road would be a serious waste of time. You're going to have to resign yourself to the aftermarket if you want help.

Believe me, the stock suspension pains me as much as it does you. I was all set to get new wheels, the NISMO sideskirts and some other cosmetic enhancements when I realized that at the end of the day, I'd still be pissing and moaning about the stock dampeners. For me personally, it's better that my Z handles and drives better than it looks. Wheels will be the icing on the cake that I won't change out until I've worn through my new S-03s.

I'm getting the full NISMO kit w/sways. I suggest you look into the same.
Droid, I'm sure you are probably right about NNA. My problem w/NISMO is the 1" drop, I want my car at the stock height. Which is why I've been looking at dampers and not full kits. However, I want a solution, not a partial fix. If Koni, Bilstein, KYB and/or Tokiko can't guarantee the bounce will be gone, I want to know more about the NISMO kit, because I have to get this fixed or I am about to explode on something. I'll just do a search unless you can tell where to look for results, prices, etc.

Thanks, Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 02-23-2003 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-23-2003, 06:51 PM

I opened a file with NNA about the crummy suspension, and from the reponse I got, they couldn't care less.

In fact, the worthless piece of garbage I spoke to (David Sills) wouldn't even give the make/model of the OE shocks that came with the car, saying that was proprietary information -- and I asked him nicely.

But don't let that stop you. The more of us who complain, the more likely it is that Nissan will eventually do something.

Meantime, I may take this to NHTSA as a safety issue (not so crazy--I work in government relations), and if I can't hold out and wait for Koni, I may just throw a set of ordinary Monroe shocks on the car. Anything would be better than what we have now.
Old 02-23-2003, 07:20 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by 10531178
I opened a file with NNA about the crummy suspension, and from the reponse I got, they couldn't care less.

In fact, the worthless piece of garbage I spoke to (David Sills) wouldn't even give the make/model of the OE shocks that came with the car, saying that was proprietary information -- and I asked him nicely.

But don't let that stop you. The more of us who complain, the more likely it is that Nissan will eventually do something.

Meantime, I may take this to NHTSA as a safety issue (not so crazy--I work in government relations), and if I can't hold out and wait for Koni, I may just throw a set of ordinary Monroe shocks on the car. Anything would be better than what we have now.
It pains me to agree with your last statement. I just can't reconcile in my mind why Nissan would make such a great performing car and get cheap on the shocks. So, the David we are to consider as the Z "expert" gave 0 information. Your right, it doesn't bode well for our relief from the crappy ride. Maybe I'll call him just to listen to his disclaimers. They are often revealing, did you tell him about NHTSA? If you didn't, maybe I will. Naw, I'll just play it by ear. Thanks for the info, Numbers. Sorry, I'm prone to lame jokes sometimes. Actually, in a digital world, thats who we are, brrrrrr.
Old 02-23-2003, 07:25 PM
mark754

I rented a Z last weekend and drove it around So Cal, including several freeways like the 10 East that have been mentioned as being particularly bad in terms of the "porpoising" problem.

I loved the car overall, but at the end of the day, I'd say I'd place the ride in the 2nd or 3rd category - okay to tolerable. Actually, the ride was fine on most freeways, and was smoother the higher the speed (I don't know how I'm gonna avoid getting lots of tickets if I get this car!). But on some bad roads, the porpoising was definitely annoying, especially when combined with the increased road noise on these roads. Fortunately, we're lucky to have pretty good roads in So Cal, so it wouldn't be a major issue.

One thing I've noticed is every time I see a Z on the road, I can literally see the rear end bouncing up and down with the road undulations and bumps. I don't see this much with other sports cars and usually notice it only on lowered ricers and such.

However, my girlfriend said that the Z rode better than her friend's boxster. But she was talking mainly of the firmness, not the bouncing.
Old 02-24-2003, 03:15 PM
sgraham

It's pathetic that I laid out $41k (black touring, all options, tax, extended warranty, clear bra, car cover, misc.) and have to be subjected to driving on the hwy bouncing up and down. I can't even rest my head on the headrest. I've had a 1980 Corvette and a 1984 Vette with the Z51 and it wasn't this bad. I'm thinking I should have turned around the night I drove home from the dealer as I bounced up 355 (see thread in Region North Central). I spoke with the head of service at Gerald Nissan where I bought and he told me "in all honesty" he's heard lots of complaints and taken a demo Z out and experienced the same thing. He has heard of no fix in the works. This BLOWS and someone should sue Nissan. I'm supposed to come up with $2k for shocks and springs? I don't think so. No sunroof, shitty tires and a subpar stereo are enough to live with. Other than that, LOVE the car ha ha ha.
Old 02-25-2003, 06:16 PM
geneva

Default porpoising

You are all right. I bought my Brickyard at Gerald and 355 rides make you want to puke. I love the looks of the car and I can't understand that it only occurs on certain roads. I also plan on complaining to Gerald and to Nissan. For the money I agree that this is a flaw that should be corrected.
Old 02-26-2003, 04:20 PM
sgraham

Default to geneva et al

I bought at Gerald too (almost a month ago). The service manager is well aware of the problem as others have bitched. I'm not the activist type but we should get together and push this issue. I am very bummed out. I was out to Indiana today to see a client. 6 hours of driving in my Trans Am (got a nice rock shower from an idiot trucker) and I was thinking how punishing it would have been in the 350Z. I definitely can feel the pavement in the T/A, especially on 294 south of 88 but it is not concussive like the 350Z and it was a good trip. I'm wishing I bought a Vette (almost). I'm going to call Gerald and have them tack a free year onto my warranty (currently 6 years) and then really start a campaign. If anyone else wants in, let me know. Anyone with the contact info for the Nissan regional office, let me know.
Old 03-05-2003, 10:19 AM
zpeed350

I don't understand how this problem can be so bad that it is drving you to the point where you are questioning the car and/or your purchase of the car. I am driving mine in CT, and right now as winter is finally coming to an end, the roads are beat to comlete $hit!!! You want to talk potholes and bumps!!

But to tell you the complete truth, the Z handles, reacts, and absorbs the bumbs just like I expected it too. The car does not bounce at all. The ride is stiff, and the car just reacts to my demands.

I may not be understanding completely, but this "porpoising" your talking about is leaving an image in my head of an old cadiliac with bad shocks. It hits a bump and the a$$ keeps bouncing up and down after the fact.

Is this really what is happening?

My Z is stiff as a rock, just as it should be!
Old 03-05-2003, 01:02 PM
droideka

Originally posted by zpeed350
I may not be understanding completely, but this "porpoising" your talking about is leaving an image in my head of an old cadiliac with bad shocks. It hits a bump and the a$$ keeps bouncing up and down after the fact.

Is this really what is happening?
Yes!

Quick Reply: Poll: Ride Quality / Suspension