Old 04-01-2008, 03:35 PM
Murfdizzle21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bump i wanna know too
Old 04-06-2008, 12:38 PM
sixsigmalarry

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Any negative impact?

BUMP. People who did this mod, please help us out.

Also, to answer someone's question from a post, felt, 'flocking tape', or sometimes the non-loop Velcro tape has been used in the automotive industry to stop SEVERAL squeak, rattle or abnormal noise issues.

You'd think that the OEM's or suppliers would try to fix the root cause instead of placing a band-aid on the problem. Then again, if there is significant costs (e.g., tooling costs), then maybe paying for the felt and the labor to put it on is cheaper. Not saying it's right, but that's usually how they roll.

Maybe the next platform will be better!
Old 04-09-2008, 08:53 PM
JonnyC

Yeah, tons of people asking the questions here and no one to answer. Who has fixed this? I'm about to get my windows tinted.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:24 AM
unit5alive

Arrow

There's a product that window tint shops use called Mole Skin , in place of the original felt type liner that rubs the inside of the window glass , Terry's auto glass ,in Greensburg PA has a tint shop called advantage window tinting in the back half of their building that uses this stuff , awesome stuff , it hasn't scratched my brothers tint they put on , it will probably work awesome for this use , Craig

Last edited by unit5alive; 04-10-2008 at 05:27 AM.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:36 PM
lyndonium

I just pulled my door panels off and yanked the darn thing. I had to remove the inside metal plate to make things easier (plus I didn't wanna go to home depot to buy longer needle pliers

Still a little grease, but I can just wipe it off. It feels like a rubber stopper that the felt was glued onto, so I don't see any potential for scratching the window.

I'm getting tinted tomorrow.

Yaaaaaay....
Old 04-13-2008, 06:55 PM
j.arnaldo
Banned

...talkin' 'bout stealerships, the local Nissan one in my area
just subcontracted an independent co. that does the main-
tenance/repairs (whether under warranty or else); THEY ARE TERRIBLE--in the worst sense possible! Arrogant-der-
riered bunch!!! I just got me a nearby mechanic to work on my beast. Period.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:51 PM
lyndonium

Smile No more streaks and no scratching...

I don't have the felt on there anymore. it was somewhat of a pain to remove...
I ended up unbolting the inside silver plate just to move the window around.

So far... no scratches on my newly tinted windows and no streaks...
Old 01-16-2009, 12:52 PM
oro

Bumping an old thread, but I removed the felt piece from the rubber stabilizer whatever about a month or so ago. My window was already streaked and apparently damaged/ long scratch by something that ripped the tint.

Although it isn't scratching further, since removing the felt piece, when rolling the window up or down, it makes a squeaking noise like the rubber piece is rubbing against the window, I can also hear it catching the ripped tint. Be aware of that if you decide to do this.

I'm going to try to find someway around it this next week as I'm planning on replacing the window and the tint all around (crappy factory tint) soon.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:57 PM
white_sg

How to remove the grease on the window? what to replace the velcro thing with?
Old 01-25-2009, 06:26 PM
OldDirty Z33

^ did you not just read the last 2 pages? My streaks are crazy ugly and thinking of taking that piece out and replacing it with rubber wedges.... ???? You think this would work?
Old 02-20-2009, 08:41 AM
Steve-O Z33

It says 03-05. I have an 06 and my passenger window is doing this. I just dealt with it and cleaned the streak after returning home, even though it gets annoying.

About 2 weeks ago, the window started squeaking on its way up, while leaving a darker streak. So I am going today to get this fixed at the dealer. (Hopefully for no charge) I bet they'll blame my window tint.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:33 AM
j.arnaldo
Banned

'O4 Touring Coupe: NO grease streaks, NO feathering, NO oil-consumption issue, Flawless AT...NO PROBLEMO!!!
(I guess I've been blessed!)

Last edited by j.arnaldo; 02-21-2009 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:42 PM
Steve-O Z33

I was right. They tried to blame the tint. I told them that it started about a year or so after tint. So then they said, "Someone has had your door panel off before. We think it messed up the felt... and you can't buy that piece alone. You need a new panel and it's $500."

I told them to put the old one back and forget about it. Still, it cost me $41... and my car is under warranty. Dealerships are lame.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:07 PM
schm1147

Originally Posted by Steve-O Z33
I was right. They tried to blame the tint. I told them that it started about a year or so after tint. So then they said, "Someone has had your door panel off before. We think it messed up the felt... and you can't buy that piece alone. You need a new panel and it's $500."

I told them to put the old one back and forget about it. Still, it cost me $41... and my car is under warranty. Dealerships are lame.
I'm all about trying to be low cost and "MacGyver" the problem...but if it costs under $200 to definitively fix the problem, then it seems worth it to pay the money and be done with it. It seems like we would end up paying twice as much anyway to retint every year...not to mention the headache and frustration that comes along with having a ugly Streak down your window everytime you roll down your window.

What's the final verdict on this guys? Is buying the kit and installing the best way to fix the problem? Or do you gamble with the dealership or simply pulling out the felt off the window?

Last edited by schm1147; 02-26-2009 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:01 AM
unit5alive

Arrow

See post #44 above, the mole skin works great , thats what tint shops use it for , my brothers had problems , they put the mole skin on, no more marks in the tint, thats replacing the felt that goes across the top of the door panel , the grease streak problem caused by the piece in the door,I don't know if that would fix that ,putting that on the little piece, it very well might , its a good product, Craig.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:05 PM
flnsx

Originally Posted by unit5alive
See post #44 above, the mole skin works great , thats what tint shops use it for , my brothers had problems , they put the mole skin on, no more marks in the tint, thats replacing the felt that goes across the top of the door panel , the grease streak problem caused by the piece in the door,I don't know if that would fix that ,putting that on the little piece, it very well might , its a good product, Craig.
Yep, Tint Protector manufacturers the only felt moleskin for auto tint.

tintprotector.com

Best stuff there is.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:59 AM
Colourdeaf

I can confirm this works ! Removed the brush peice and the rubber. Glued a peice of cotton ball in place of it. This will eventually happen to all 350z owners as the culprit wears down over time and use. Took me 45m to finish and all !! Tips: have the window rolled all the way down when removing door panels and after your done. Roll the window up before put it all back together so you can have somebody wiggle the window or else it's real hard to line up the two bolts to the steel plate for the door to connect. Tip 2 - use needle nose plyers to rip the peice off as well as wire cutters to cut the rubber off and make sure you use good glue for the cotton ball. And let it dry before using the window. Feel free to ask any questions, ill be checking back frequently
Old 11-09-2013, 01:25 PM
KlammanZBaby

Default Grease streaks on windows, fix for tint.

Did the same thing with my windows. Unclipped/screwed/bolted everything required and pulled out the felt pads. There was definitely an excessive amount of grease on them. Here's a few pics of mine and I believe the TSB on how to do it if your interested in doing yours. I just got tint put on a week ago and so far so good. No scratches. Pictures are in attachments.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:58 PM
Underscore_Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I think I'm having the same issue. Only difference is that my tint actually got scratched/peeled off. So now I have a 1cm wide line of no tint....I didn't notice any streaks beforehand though.

grease streak on window-z0qzspc.jpg

Next step I guess would eb to open the door panel, remove/replace that piece, then go for a retint.

Last edited by Underscore_Hero; 03-22-2014 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:15 PM
Underscore_Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's how the window is flush against the metal brace, which I'm assuming is the source of the scratching.

Facebook vid

Quick Reply: grease streak on window