Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Salvage Title Car, Need repair~ COST?? pictures up`

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 11:27 AM
rythex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have window motor problems haha.

When you're looking for a car, take your time. Don't insist on buying something before (certain date) or you'll end up possibly risking alot of money and not saving anything in the end.

For example, someone I know bought a 2004 Audi A4, he ended up paying $9000 for the car, he spent over $20,000 fixing it up and now he has a car that cost him roughly the same price if he had just bought a used one without damage.

So, the most important things are to:

-Take your time.
-Best thing to do is take a look underneath the vehicle,
-Look at the "Frame" If you see something pushed out of place more than 2-3 inches there is most likely a lot of other stuff broken near it.
-Make sure the damage is only local to one or two areas.
-Make a list of parts of ALL the stuff you see that's broken.. EVERYTHING, plastic, finishing, metal, mechanical pieces..
-Contact dealer, see how much the parts will cost, if they give discounts for "bulk" purchases
-Check forum, see what parts you can buy readily from here.. you can usually find stuff like AC, suspension pieces, brakes, transmissions etc etcin good condition here.
-Make a rough estimate for paint, labour, bodywork, mechanical work, inspection work.
-If there is any engine damage, forgot it, the 350Z engine is pretty far back, if the engine/timing belt is gone then most likely there is frame damage on the front end.

Anyways, most important step, take your time.. dont rush into anything trying to save some money or you'll end up losing.

Last edited by rythex; 08-07-2006 at 11:30 AM.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:17 PM
htownballa23

Sounds good thanks for the reply. I will look into these things once I start looking for the car. Still have about a week or two before I start looking.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:49 AM
Netko350Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

well at least you don't have to replace the hood...
Old 08-21-2006, 08:35 PM
kelechi77

Default Buying Salvage

I say screw buying a salvage car unless you know what you're doing. I'm a beginner and I got wasted. You'll need a body shop that will fix fast or your car will be in a shop for who knows how many months, the parts will nickel and dime you to death. My whole summer has been crappy because I've been out of a car for like two months. Then there is probably some unsightly mechanical work. No warranty, no customer service. The dealer will avoid working on your car like the plauge as well. Even if you get a better price than if you bought used. Your car will probably have some weird quirks that will always annoy you for the rest of it's life. You're check engine light will be on and the dealer is going to try to pump you as deep as they can. No one will want to give you good money if you try to resell soon after. Also, think of all the time you will be running around looking for parts when you should be driving hot chicks around town in a NEW Z. How stupid will you feel when a chick asks you what the rattle is, or why the check engine light is on, or why your car smells like a friggin epoxy factory. Seriously, I don't see myself doing this again. I've already lost about equivalent of a weeks worth of work with all the head aches and running around. The numbers don't add up for me.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:44 AM
Dr. RPM

You bunch of pussies... You're right, it will be some work and a bunch of used body panels, but if the bags and all the expensive stuff is good, then roll on it! I've fixed alot worse than that. And the reason the insurance companies is because they price mostly dealership new parts and $100/hr. shop rate time. I guess what it comes down to is how much of the work you are doing yourself. My bodyshop charges $100/hr. for frame rack time. Without seeing underneath my guestimate would be no more than 2 - 4 hours if you remove all the front clip sheetmetal and make his job easier. On the '03 Track that I'm building right now - the only pieces not off the car were the rear diff and rear hatch...It's all about how much of the work you can do yourself (and how much your time is worth, I suppose)
Old 08-31-2006, 10:45 PM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd give it a miss, reckon there would be chassis damage!!!
Old 09-05-2006, 01:09 PM
Minda

Originally Posted by kelechi77
I say screw buying a salvage car unless you know what you're doing. I'm a beginner and I got wasted. You'll need a body shop that will fix fast or your car will be in a shop for who knows how many months, the parts will nickel and dime you to death. My whole summer has been crappy because I've been out of a car for like two months. Then there is probably some unsightly mechanical work. No warranty, no customer service. The dealer will avoid working on your car like the plauge as well. Even if you get a better price than if you bought used. Your car will probably have some weird quirks that will always annoy you for the rest of it's life. You're check engine light will be on and the dealer is going to try to pump you as deep as they can. No one will want to give you good money if you try to resell soon after. Also, think of all the time you will be running around looking for parts when you should be driving hot chicks around town in a NEW Z. How stupid will you feel when a chick asks you what the rattle is, or why the check engine light is on, or why your car smells like a friggin epoxy factory. Seriously, I don't see myself doing this again. I've already lost about equivalent of a weeks worth of work with all the head aches and running around. The numbers don't add up for me.
+1
I had similar experience. There is usually some hidden damage, which will only be discovered when the car is "almoust" fixed.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:46 PM
Spoiled Z

Not worth it