Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 08:35 AM
SteveZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slinksZ
Man, I thought it was strange that I lost a court of oil in 2000 miles.I have a 2006 and I am new to the Z so just assumed it was normal. I have about 9500, and do not baby the car. So this may be normal. What do you think?
Something's wrong there. Neither my '03 350Z or my '04 G Coupe consume ANY noticeable quantity of oil. Do my own changes around 3500 mile intervals.

12 k on 350Z - never added oil, never needed to
30 k on G Coupe - same

NOT normal, IMHO...
Old 09-20-2006, 08:46 AM
Ztalker

sorry....your nissan VQ engine shouldn't be burning any oil at all unlike the RX8and 330i where using a quart every 1000miles is considered normal according to their manufacturer.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:54 AM
Jonathan Allyn

Originally Posted by all_bark
the problem now is, if they change my engine will I get one of those wonderful 06 engines that burn more than mine?
Nope they will put in the same engine as before just a different one.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:58 AM
SteveZ

Originally Posted by Ztalker
sorry....your nissan VQ engine shouldn't be burning any oil at all unlike the RX8and 330i where using a quart every 1000miles is considered normal according to their manufacturer.
I agree. I said not noticeable because the wonderful dipstick isn't exactly a precision item

Not burning oil has been a Nissan motor strength when maintained - for example I have a KA24DE motor in my Alty with 117k that has never, still does not, burn any oil at all. THAT has an easily readable dipstick.

A quart per 1000 is outrageous...any consumption between oil changes at 3500-5000 intervals is wrong, but Nissan will not recall an engine for a quart or so every 1000 miles.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:05 AM
VJD

Default '06 Oil Consumption

Wow, I don't feel so alone. Took delivery of my '06 Enthusiast model with manual trans back in Jun '06. Over 2600 miles on it and I've had to add 2 quarts of oil. Actually, and I don't remember the exact mileage, the first time I pulled the dipstick it was down more then a quart. Not a good situation. Probably need to pay a visit to the dealership. Vic
Old 09-20-2006, 03:47 PM
aren21

I had a feeling my 06 was burning oil, but at first it was a VERY tiny amount, it was down maybe 1\4 of the way (between H and L). The oil isnt really visible on that top 1/4, but when I touched it, there was some oil there. I checked about 4 times, and got the same reading. They could have at least made a normal dipstick to begin with, it scrapes and hits everything on its way out, and that might wipe on/off some oil from your reading. Ill have to keep an eye on it I guess.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:48 PM
jabaz1

There was a segment on the TV news yesterday about Nissan Altimas losing so much oil there have been a number of engine fires as a result of people unaware their engines had little oil left.Nissan apparently is working on the problem but doesn't have a fix yet.They have received letters to check their oil every 800 miles.I assumed it was the 4 cylinder but hearing all the oil loss Z owners are experiencing makes me wonder.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:52 PM
98Ekhatch

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have an 06 also...just finished my test they filled it up and told me to come back in 700 miles i came back the y checked the oil it was all the way at the botttom of the dip stick....in 700 miles what the f.......so i left the car with them they were to arange for a rental but the servise guy said that they would have to tear in the engine to see what the problem was first.....thats b/s..so i called nissan and they documented everything..i told them that if they tear into the motor i dont want that same motor back in my car.....i want a new long block...i didnt pay 30gs for a car that the engine had to be torn apart and put back together....also to mention theres scratches all over on side of my car from they were pushing it in the bay....i told the servise mngr that i know my car better than my dick and those scratches were not there and there in the same vicinity where they were pushing it..he said not to worry that they will take care of it...but all i can to is worry i guess....ill keep you guys posted...there seems alot of 06 having a problem with this and nissan doesnt want to reconize it..
Old 09-29-2006, 06:03 PM
SteveZ

Originally Posted by jabaz1
There was a segment on the TV news yesterday about Nissan Altimas losing so much oil there have been a number of engine fires as a result of people unaware their engines had little oil left.Nissan apparently is working on the problem but doesn't have a fix yet.They have received letters to check their oil every 800 miles.I assumed it was the 4 cylinder but hearing all the oil loss Z owners are experiencing makes me wonder.
WTF did they do to the VQ since 2004? Neither my 2003 or 2004 G ever burn measureable amounts of oil.

If they have issues in Altys too, Nissan will have to deal with it. How much of their line does not have a VQ35 engine???

Sorry to hear about the lousy experience at the dealer, I would make them buy the d*mn car back and go LLaw if I had to, just for the abuse!
Old 10-03-2006, 10:27 AM
98Ekhatch

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Found Out Today Im Getting Along Block....and They Gave Me A 2007 Caddy Cts For A Rental.....i Kinda Like The Caddy.....
Old 10-03-2006, 11:23 AM
Bmacs

Thumbs down 3rd heart

it's back in the shop.....
This will be the last time and then we go lemon law. They are putting a "COMPLETE ENGINE" in. Nissan wants everything back in the crate so they sent a complete engine including cats, and intake. Nothing is remaining from the orginal engine.

For those who are counting:
Factory engine
short block
PCV valve with hoses (Bull$hit try)
now complete replacement.
All this in 8 months...............

I will let you know what happens

Old 10-03-2006, 11:31 AM
blazefast

holy ****! I hope they fix the oil consumption problem for the 07s!
Old 10-03-2006, 01:56 PM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bmacs
it's back in the shop.....
This will be the last time and then we go lemon law. They are putting a "COMPLETE ENGINE" in. Nissan wants everything back in the crate so they sent a complete engine including cats, and intake. Nothing is remaining from the orginal engine.

For those who are counting:
Factory engine
short block
PCV valve with hoses (Bull$hit try)
now complete replacement.
All this in 8 months...............

I will let you know what happens

That sucks man.

If or when this short block fails, I will demand a whole new long block and if that fails too or they won't do a long block, thenm it's LL time.

Hopefully this new block will be fine. So far so good but I've only got 250 miles on it so time will tell.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:52 PM
Interlagos Fire

I just like to pitch in that me too are going through a consumption test.
My car was towed in this morning at 9k miles for different issues:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....46#post2836846
Old 10-03-2006, 04:01 PM
LIdrew

I am just wondering what you guys consider low. I always have my oil changed at the dealer, synthetic every 3k-4k Miles. I just had my oil changed 2k miles ago and the dipstick is showing level at less than half way between H and L. Would any of you consider this consumption? I imagine when they do the oil change it would be at the full Mark.

I have had 2 Major engine leaks on my 03. One required replacing all the engine seals.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:03 PM
KnightRiders79

1 quart in 2k is normal for any high revving (06 model) high compression motor. use a better oil like royal purple, redline, motul, or amsoil and it will lessen. i burned 1.5 quarts every 1k with mobil1, i changed to rp and it is <1 quart every 2k now.

this thread interested me b/c my friend has an 06 with 2400 miles on it and it was making a bad rattle noise that would go away after warm up. it started 2 days ago and we thought a bolt rattled out from the mrev2, but then his oil light came on and it was a little below half between the full and low lines. we are concerned b/c that rattle could have been something serious like rod knock.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:09 PM
KnightRiders79

Originally Posted by SteveZ
WTF did they do to the VQ since 2004? Neither my 2003 or 2004 G ever burn measureable amounts of oil.

If they have issues in Altys too, Nissan will have to deal with it. How much of their line does not have a VQ35 engine???

Sorry to hear about the lousy experience at the dealer, I would make them buy the d*mn car back and go LLaw if I had to, just for the abuse!
well i remember my buddys spec v had his 1st cat break up and get sucked through the egr valve. it screwed up his rings and his oil was bone dry in like 500 miles. im thinking that since the revup motor has the egr built into the exhaust cam, maybe that has somthing to do with it.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:34 PM
secondz

I have a 2006 Base with no mods. I have 2600 miles on the car and I just checked ny oil again (after reading this thread) and noticed that I was about 2/3 quart low. Is this unusual or something to be concerned about?
Old 10-04-2006, 06:44 AM
oilleakyZ

Default oil consumption test

Yep, I'm having the oil consumption problem also. I noticed the oil pressure was extremely low at 4800 miles...took it into the dealership and discovered it was 2.5 qts low. I started the oil consumption test and am required to take the car back every 500 miles. The thing that kills me is that the mechanic called me and suggested that the problem was my fault for not having had the oil changed at 3000 miles. I told him he was crazy if he thought that it was normal for a car to run out of oil withing the first 5000 miles. Luckily the service manager agreed with me.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:32 AM
RBlover69

im good...must be ur rev up guys,...lol..my oil cosum is so modest i went for a oil change and the tech looked at the oil and said....um do u drive this thing lol. Gotta love synthetic oil man.

Quick Reply: Oil Consumption