Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Strange problem, Loss of RPM and MPH data

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 09:50 AM
Sasha350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Strange problem, Loss of RPM and MPH data

This morning i was at a red light and when it turned green i got into first gear and started to accelerate.Then when i was in second gear i noticed that the RPM's needle was stuck at 2200 and MPH at about 20.

The thing is that at this time i was already at much higher speed ( i guess around 40 mph ) and the rpm's were definitely at least at 3500 just by the sound of the engine. This was for both the analog AND digital gauges, all were stuck at 2200 rpm and 20 mph.

The engine sounded ok and car felt normal so i continued to accelerate and then when i was in 4th gear and at about 55 mph everything came back and the digital jumped from 20 where it was stuck to 55 which was my speed. Also the analog rpm gauge came back.

It was like all my data froze for about 10 seconds.
The car has been runing fine and i did not see this again but then it is kinda hard to always look at the gauges.

Anyone ever experienced anything like this ??? And what could have caused it ??
Old 10-07-2006, 09:55 AM
rockinbboy

I am confused on what you mean the digital rpm gauge, cause the rpm gauge is only for the rev light limit. Its is possible the digital speedometer is tied directly (dependant) on the analog gauge so if the analog was stuck at 20 mph, then your digital was stuck too.

Why?

Well...the only thing I can think of is some threads in the past (usually roadsters) where their gauges were stuck. The cause was due to sunlight. The gauges where directly exposed to the sunlight (sun was behind them or something) and the gauges are optic, so the incoming light cause it to get all screwed up. A simple wave of your hand in front of the gauges to block the light fixed it from what I recall. Stopping and restarting the car also fixed the issue.

So since you are in Miami, I got to ask, when this happened, was there direct sunlight exposed to your gauges? I am hoping it was just that and not anything else.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:59 AM
Sasha350

It was the analog RPM and MPH and the digital MPH gauges that were stuck.
Weather was sunny but i have a coupe ( 06 MT ).

It was early morning ( around 9 am so the sun was low but i drive on this road a lot in the morning and never saw this before.

Last edited by Sasha350; 10-07-2006 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:16 PM
rockinbboy

Its very possible this is what happened. Just because you had the coupe only reduces the chances of this happening, but thats my guess on what happened. IF it happens again, try waving your hand over the gauges to block the sunlight exposure to it and see if it gets the needles moving again.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:38 PM
Todd350ZX

I couldn't get my temp to register on the LCD so I disconnected the battery for a few minutes and reconnected it then it worked fine. Reset the computer if stuff like that happens again.