Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

whining noise... REALLY LOUD

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 02:38 AM
jehjr68

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My new Z (about 150 miles now) has the "Fuel Pump Whine". I am certain this is the fuel pump. It is noticeble on statup in the morning especially. It is NOT dependent on vehicle speed and is clearly electrical in nature. (you know the sound) If you get out of the car, you can STILL hear it from the rear. I know high flow fuel pumps can be noisy but this is wierd for a OEM unit. I wonder if it is normal ? Anyone else experience this ?

Johnny
Old 03-26-2003, 03:43 PM
whitetrack

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone have a stethoscope? Jack the car up and run the car in neutral and listen to the parts in question. Try it in gear but make sure the car is properly raised.
Old 03-27-2003, 11:13 AM
ricastm8

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Couldn't It be wind noise?

Just a thought
Old 03-28-2003, 02:47 AM
rescube

Default Same situation with jehjr68....

I have the same problem with jehjr68.... when the car start-up, it kept making "beeeeee" noise from the bottom of the rear wheel position . is there anyone out there solved this problem?
Old 03-31-2003, 05:32 AM
zpeed350

Default Re: Couldn't It be wind noise?

Originally posted by ricastm8
Just a thought

I wouldn't think so. Since as soon as you get off the trottle it stops. And then when you touch it, it starts again. If it was wind noice, then it would be present no matter what.

I went on my FIRST road trip this weekend. Hartford to Boston and noticed this happening. Funny thing is that it starts right at 80mph...and is only present while you are on the throttle. And to me sounds like it is coming from the front of the car. Not the back. I plan taking my Z in this week to get the tranny and diff fluid changed, and if it happens to fix this I'll let you know.
Old 04-03-2003, 01:26 PM
zpeed350

Welp, changed my oil at 1400'ish last week, and went back this week for my tranny flush and differential fluid change. I have about 2000 miles on the clock now (yea, road trip over the weekend) and the women thought I was nuts....lol!!

ANWAY....it was done in about 2 hours and she said, "hey, good thing you had us change the diff fluid.". I said, "why, did you find anything?". She said, "yea...the tech found metal shavings on the manget, good idea to do it now."

I figured as much, and nothing wrong with being cautious. So heads up....you MIGHT want to get you diff fluid changed.

On another note, I still get the whining at 80mph. Now that I listened to it some more it could possibly be coming from the back. It is so hard to tell.
Old 04-03-2003, 07:03 PM
RKirschner

I get the same whine noise also. Starts at 80mph no matter what gear I'm in. The only thing is the higher the rpm the higher pitched the noise. At first I thought it was coming from the right rear speaker. I brought mine into the dealer and told them about the problem but when I picked it up they said no problem found. Of course they also said they couldn't drive the car at 80mph. Definitely sounds too loud for the fuel pump and is a little too high pitched for the diff. Not sure what it is.
Old 04-14-2003, 09:19 PM
YourMomma

Have my car in at the dealer. This is on my diagnose & fix list for them. My experience is on & off the throttle at almost any speed, as long as there is a load on the drivetrain.

I'll report what the dealer comes back with. Anyone else have any luck?
Old 04-14-2003, 09:31 PM
DIGItonium

Hmm.. im not sure about that sound either.

But that RC car motor-like sound that is relative to the
engine speed is pretty annoying when the engine is
still warming up.

Just turn up the jams. [sigh] at least it doesn't get
any louder at WOT.
Old 04-20-2003, 04:45 PM
ACEMAN
Master

Default I have over 10k on my car

And the whinning just started, i dont believe it is the fuel pump or it would of been there before this. I believe it is in the rear end. going to get the fluid changed and see if that fixes it. Let me know what you guys find out.

Later
Aceman
Old 07-08-2003, 03:21 PM
xZlr8

Originally posted by Shift_Speed
youg uys talking about fuel regulators and this that... hahahaha... i have no CLUE what you guys are saying... but thanks for debating this and trying to figure out the core of this problem... i take it no one has actually taken their cars to nissan to say WTF is this NOISE! ... i think those asses will be like " its supposed to make that sound... yea.. um... it has to do with the blah blah blah and its perfectly normal... "

this problem isn't bad all the time... just when i have a passenger and we drive for a while on the high way the NOISE gets to you REAL BAD..... i hope some car guru in here can figure it out...
I have the exact same problem but i'm afraid to take it in because i have the UR crank pulley on my car. I'm afraid they'll say that caused it even though the noise was there before i put it on.
Old 07-08-2003, 06:54 PM
archman350z

I dunno, it seems like there are 2 sorts of "whines" here. Some insist that it's the fuel pump, but I know mine is the rear differential.
It started at about 2500 miles. It's always under light-load at about 70-75MPH. Give it gas or let off and it will go away (hardly even happens in cruise-control). My experience with a 1-ton van (4.11 ratio) tells me it is the rear-end singing along. It scares me a little that the Z exibits this characteristic being a light car, but it's never very loud (10 on the stereo will drown it out) so I don't think it's a problem. If it gets worse in the next 45,500 miles, then it's going back to Nissan for repair.
If it's the same whine I'm hearing, it's certainly not the fuel pump. I can hear the pump run (groan) before I start the car...an unloaded fuel pump will make a helluva lot more noise than one running at 80MPH.
Old 06-26-2004, 03:10 PM
omarv6

Hi guys....i have about 850Km (thats about 500Miles I guss) on my 2 week old track Z350 ..
now I started to hear the whine sound...and went crazy and started to check the forums !!
I went to a friend who had a Modid TT supra 1996 ...and he said its sound like a long blow off valve sound..or a supercharger he said its nice !!!!
Hay fool I didnt come here to aske u if its nice or not!!!! i want you to tell me if its a normal sound or there is somthing wrong !!!
he said i dont know !!!

well if am not in gear and rev the engin no whine sound...when I cruse no whine sound....when I flore it and RPM hits 3000 with a speed of about 75miles the whine starts and goes in a higher pitch as I shift from gear to a nother !! the sound freaked me out ...
I started to think about it all the time ...while i was going up to my apartment I was thinking about it and sudenly I hear it( shoot its folowing me ....then i saw a kid playing with a R/C car...it sounds exactly the same !!!
I dont know is it normal or not !!? do I drive the car or stop it !!?
or is that the way the car should sound !!?
please help me !
thax guys and I guys you guys gono see me in this fourom alot after today

Last edited by omarv6; 06-26-2004 at 03:21 PM.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:43 AM
xchriz012x

yeah i have this same problem with loud pitched sound.
took it in to the dealer 4 times already. spoke with the nna tech twice and ended up arguing with the guy. this bonehead didnt' know what he was hearing...kept on saying it's the tire noise. so they replaced all four tires and wheels but the noise was still there.
they are calling a new tech who comes in once every other month to see what they can do.

btw...any good news with you guyz?
Old 09-10-2004, 02:11 AM
AREITU

Originally posted by dr_gallup

Overall, it looks like they have traded a nice simple & reliable mechanical pressure regulating system for a much more complex but cheaper electronic system.
It's one of those simple things they had to ditch for the sake of emissions. Returnless systems probably don't vaporize the gas as much (because it doens't have to circulate from front to back)
Old 09-20-2004, 03:55 PM
350redline

why does the 350Z have SOO MANY PROBLEMS. you think i high priced sports car would be built better. i just wish we could get all these problems fixed, we would appreciate the car a lot more!
Old 09-20-2004, 11:18 PM
AREITU

Originally posted by 350redline
why does the 350Z have SOO MANY PROBLEMS. you think i high priced sports car would be built better. i just wish we could get all these problems fixed, we would appreciate the car a lot more!
Be happy we got the car.

You should see the problems German cars have.

If you're so buggered over a little whine, I can't imagine what would happen if your stereo couldn't pick up radio from the Vatican.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:29 AM
Hokie350Z

This is a really old thread, but I was wondering if anyone ever diagnosed the whining noise at 80mph that seems to come and go with accelerating/ decelerating?

I just got my Z and it's got 60K miles, so if something is going bad, I'd like to know to plan ahead
Old 04-30-2010, 11:28 AM
PumpedVA

Any news on this 75mph noise?
Old 05-05-2010, 09:08 AM
PumpedVA

bump any news?

Quick Reply: whining noise... REALLY LOUD