Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Service Engine Soon + VDC Off + Slip Lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 05:25 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xNeo
Thanks, this is my first "new" car so it kinda scared me a little. I still have 2 years on the factory warrenty and I bought the extended warrenty, so nothing should come out of my pocket right?
Nope. Shouldn't cost you a penny. If you could, once you get the diagnosis from the dealer, update this thread. This has happened to quite a few people lately and it would be good to have a thread with some solid information in it.

Thanks!
Old 11-06-2006, 05:30 AM
xNeo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure no problem, I'm going to call my dealership at lunch and probably drop it off tomorow.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:01 AM
35TH ANY

I drove mine for a while before taking it in. The service engine soon light will eventually go off as well. You should be fine but, definately take it in to have them run the codes and then fix it for free under warranty.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:44 PM
zrebel

i'm stopping by tomorrow. it happen to me again today... so definately want to get it done and keep you guys posted.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:13 AM
zrebel

hmm i just went to the dealer and they were quoting me that since my suspension was altered, blah blah blah it would cost me $130 to do a diagnositc + tell me what the problem is. then i would have to pay for whatever repairing is necessary. that is only if it has something to do with my modifications. so i left the place went to a near by goodyear to pull up what the ecu code is and i got the same, P2135.

my mods are : jwt popcharger, injen ses dual exhaust, eibach springs, 19x9.5r 19.9f rims, stillen swaybar. im not so sure if the matrix 3.5r with remote start has anything to do with it.

im still debating if i should go back now or tomorrow.

Last edited by zrebel; 11-08-2006 at 08:18 AM.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:23 PM
zrebel

took off my popcharger and put back the stock box. then took it in... it was indeed the p2135 and they fixed it under warranty =)
Old 11-14-2006, 08:10 AM
xNeo

Dropped off my Z this morning, they called me roughlt 4 hours later. I know the Service Manager, he is a nice guy... he said that it was just some wire grounding that needed to be tightened. Doesn't sound right, but he said its all set along with my oil change. I pay for nothing other than the oil change.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:40 PM
Zincognito

im having the same problem minus the SES light but i get two other lights. I dont know what it is but when i turn the key to the II position if the fuel pump sounds like it clicks twice then the lights turn off. if it doesnt they stay on. i have to keep turning the key till the lights turn off.............any clues??
Old 11-14-2006, 06:00 PM
akcraig85

I jsut installed my plenum spacer and mrev2, and had this same thing happen. plus the car wont rev over 2k. what is the deal i didnt touch the brakes. what is my car trying to tell me.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:44 PM
akcraig85

ok i feel stupid now, the problem was i forgot to plug the throttle body connector back in. hope this helps others.

Adam
Old 11-18-2006, 05:18 PM
Zmeflyby

i have this problem too, but it started going off when the weather got colder.
Today was about 75 degree, and the lights didnt come on.
If this happens again, I will take it to the dealer, but I dont have warranty anymore. =(
Old 11-30-2006, 07:02 PM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This happened to me today, it was in the 30s last night but did not happen till I was getting ready to drive home around 3:30pm (around 56 degrees).

I started the car and noticed my buddy's cell phone was in the passenger seat from lunch. Shut it off and went back into the office to give it back.
Got back in the car and started it up again, sitting there I realized I did not want to wear my wool coat so I got out to take it off, rolled it up and tossed it in the passenger seat as I got back in.

Thats when it happened! The car stumbled and seemed quieter all of a sudden, SES, VDC and SLIP all came on and it had not throttle response. I shut it off and turned it back. Only the SES stayed on and throttle response was back. I opened up Cipher on my carpc and looked up the code, I had two.

P2135 Throttle Position Sensor

and

P1615 Difference of Key. BMC can receive the key ID signal but the result of ID verification between key ID and BMC is NG

Here is the funny thing, I had my wifes 03 Pathfinder's key in my pocket and I think when I got out of the car to take off my coat, I got to close to the dash and it read the key ID for the pathfinder.

I did an ECU reset per the technosquare site and the lights are all off and no codes show up. We'll see if it comes back though.

I have not done anything to my Z in at least six months but I don't want to take it to the dealer if I don't have to. I just know they will give me crap for the Injen CAI and all my Motordyne parts (and I have them all).

Chris
Old 03-17-2009, 07:19 PM
G35cTT

Originally Posted by kcobean
If the car won't rev, it means you're ECU is falling into limp mode. What mods do you have?

How do you know if the ECU is in limp mode? One day I started the car and the 3 lights went on w/o throttle response then the next day the car didn't start at all. Another thing is I don't hear the sound of the fuel pump after key is in the on position prior to trying to start.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:59 PM
BlackSpec02

Hey guys, I just had something SIMILAR to this happen to me today.

I started my car and it was running just fine. When I stopped at a stop sign the engine died and then when I went to restart it, the engine cranked for a lot longer than usual before it fired up... once it fired up all 3 lights SES, SLIP, VDC came on and stayed on. I pulled over and popped the hood, didnt see anything unusual. Turned the car off and tried to restart it... SAME RESULT... unusually long cranking time before it fired up then all 3 lights on... and they all stayed on for my 20 minute drive home.

my car is a 2003 350z well out of warranty with over 80k and ive had the stillen s/c on there for 40k+ w/ no problems at all... never had this happen before. Any ideas?

OH and the engine is NOT in limp mode... its REVs just fine across the whole range... i went over 4k rpms in some gears while driving home (just to see if it would rev).
Old 05-25-2009, 05:16 PM
BlackSpec02

bump. any help out there? anyone know where i can get the code checked for free?
Old 05-25-2009, 05:58 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackSpec02
bump. any help out there? anyone know where i can get the code checked for free?
On an '03, you can check the codes yourself using the following procedure.

1. confirm that the accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch ON and wait 3 seconds

2. Repeat the following two procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds
a. fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD)
b. Fully release the accelerator pedal

3. wait 7 seconds, depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 10 seconds until the CEL starts blinking ( your service engine light)

4. FULLY release the accelerator pedal (while the CEL is still blinking)

5. it than will start blinking and you count the number of blinks like for ex. you had ph420 i believe, it will blink 4x pause blink 2x pause than blink a fast 10 count which is 0, if you only have one code popping up it will repeat itself if you have more than one it will list the other ones as well until it repeats itself again, you can find out the service codes usually online they have a list for all of them..

btw if you mess up on the sequence on the pedal or not waiting long enough or waiting to long you can restart by turning the ignition switch off and doing it again.. It might take you a couple tries cause you have to be exact on the counting..

And you can reset the ECU by doing the following:

http://www.technosquareinc.com/350reset.htm
Old 05-25-2009, 06:04 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Or you can take it to Autozone, they will read the codes for you.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:19 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

For those having trouble with starting the car: When was the last time your car had a fresh battery?
Old 05-25-2009, 10:01 PM
BlackSpec02

Originally Posted by kcobean
On an '03, you can check the codes yourself using the following procedure.

1. confirm that the accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch ON and wait 3 seconds

2. Repeat the following two procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds
a. fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD)
b. Fully release the accelerator pedal

3. wait 7 seconds, depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 10 seconds until the CEL starts blinking ( your service engine light)

4. FULLY release the accelerator pedal (while the CEL is still blinking)

5. it than will start blinking and you count the number of blinks like for ex. you had ph420 i believe, it will blink 4x pause blink 2x pause than blink a fast 10 count which is 0, if you only have one code popping up it will repeat itself if you have more than one it will list the other ones as well until it repeats itself again, you can find out the service codes usually online they have a list for all of them..

btw if you mess up on the sequence on the pedal or not waiting long enough or waiting to long you can restart by turning the ignition switch off and doing it again.. It might take you a couple tries cause you have to be exact on the counting..

And you can reset the ECU by doing the following:

http://www.technosquareinc.com/350reset.htm

Good info. Im going to try that.

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
Or you can take it to Autozone, they will read the codes for you.

I went by autozone today and they told me they could not check the code for me. They said california law does not allow them to do that anymore... sucks.

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero
For those having trouble with starting the car: When was the last time your car had a fresh battery?
I changed my battery last year. But what I'm thinking it may be is my fuel pump/fuel filter... I haven't ever changed those. Considering the hard start and the SES lights, but no limp mode... my pump may be going out. Im going to use the method above to check out my code tomorrow.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:50 PM
BlackSpec02

Actually I just went ahead and checked out the code right now.

This is what I got...
2 second pause
10 slow blinks
3 fast blinks
4 fast blinks
10 fast blinks
then the pause again and it would repeat. I watched it like 5 or 6 times through to make sure I was getting it right.

according to this:
http://www.*********.com/zwiki/OBD-I..._(Engine_Codes)
the OBDII codes on 350z tech. It is this...

P0340 CMP (Cam Shaft Position) Sensor (Phase)

Also assuming I read the code right and translated the 10 blinks to 0's. Why were the first 10 blinks slow and the last 10 fast? What exactly does that code mean I need to do? Any insights? Is it safe to drive the car for a day or two? Any help is appreciated.

Quick Reply: Service Engine Soon + VDC Off + Slip Lights