Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Slipped in the rain, hit curb, please tell me what is damaged [Pictures inside]

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 10:53 AM
03BrickyardZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 3kgt48
Ultrayllow,

Was ur traction control on/off? and yeah potenzas dont grip at all on wet pavement.
Base model has no TCS.

These things happen. My second car was an Integra... one day I succeeded in getting myself into some throttle off oversteer trouble in the rain. (Cornering hard, and let off the throttle = understeer right? nope. Weight transferred to the front from the back, and all of a sudden no grip with the rear.) I lost it and hit an embankment. Bent frame.

My Z has gone a long way to helping me deal with oversteer.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:59 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraYellow350z
13,xxx on the OEM's. Do they need to be changed already?

Well you have to change at least one. There is a big hole in it.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:02 AM
davidv

Originally Posted by Built2shredZ
You guys are taking turns way to fast in the rain....
Agree. Exceeding the physical limitations of the tires will get you into trouble.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:07 AM
UltraYellow350z

Originally Posted by davidv
Well you have to change at least one. There is a big hole in it.
Really? Which picture shows the hole?
Old 11-29-2006, 11:48 AM
davidv

Originally Posted by UltraYellow350z
Really? Which picture shows the hole?

LOL. The black liquid on the tire looks like a hole. My bad.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:23 PM
alrific

Originally Posted by taurran
You've damaged your rear lower control (camber) arm. You should just do yourself a favor and buy some aftermarket rear chamber arms which allow for better camber/toe adjustment. I'd recommend the SPC arms:

http://www.iapdirect.com/product.php...cat=301&page=1

You should have the car inspected to make sure there is no further damage than is apparent from those pics. After you get the new camber arms installed, you'll need an alignment.

In all it seems you got lucky with minimal damage. Good luck with the fix.
Don't want your mod list....girl in the picture will do fine.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:56 AM
slaponte

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ultra, you need to have that rim checked for round. It is hard to believe it got a hit bad enough to bend the camber arm and that rim lip is not bent in. Could happen, but better check.

On the positive side, 17" rims are cheap.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:14 PM
UltraYellow350z

Got it back today, drives 100% fine. They checked and the Rim isn't bent nor is anything else. Alignment is only a little off. I was only going about 25 when making that turn so I guess it wasn't fast enough to do that much damage. I am definitely slowing down more in the rain though, don't want that happening again.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:19 PM
bacalhau16

Now you should be more aware of your driving habits in the rain anyway. This alone will make you more cautious when its wet.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:17 AM
drumma022

From the damage that he had on the right side of the car, and the fact that he was making a right turn when it started sliding, it sounds like he had control of the slide up until the point that the car shifted weight and did a switch back and spun the opposite direction to hit the right side of the car on the median. This happens frequently when you have too much steering correction and not ease out of the steering wheel.

Also, if you hit the brakes or immediately let off of the gas, it will prevent you from driving out of the slide.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:26 AM
UltraYellow350z

Originally Posted by drumma022
From the damage that he had on the right side of the car, and the fact that he was making a right turn when it started sliding, it sounds like he had control of the slide up until the point that the car shifted weight and did a switch back and spun the opposite direction to hit the right side of the car on the median. This happens frequently when you have too much steering correction and not ease out of the steering wheel.

Also, if you hit the brakes or immediately let off of the gas, it will prevent you from driving out of the slide.
So in a similar situation, let off gas and carefully correct with steering wheel? no brakes ever?
Old 12-01-2006, 07:28 AM
slaponte

Ultra was actually trying to learn drifting in case he gets cast on the Fast and the Furious #37, "Bald things not just tires", coming to a theater near you.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:28 PM
efx

haha.. my oem 06 have about 4K on the tires. But I autoX'd once so it probably is more damaged than that.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:26 PM
tcn75

it happened to me yesterday EXACTLY the same. ice on the bridge .. damn .. i should drive slower .. was 30-35 on 40mph .. not spinned 360 degree but from right to left, then from left to right .. ..then from right to left again , the car hit the bridge barrier .. but no damage to the body. lucky didnt hit any other cars. My brother works for Honda dealer, so I just need to buy that rod from Nissan., (need to wait until next tuesday thought) .. This is the second time I get spinned like that. The 1st time was on the curve 80mph, mis-shift into 2nd gear instead of 4th and hit a wet spot (ppl was watering their yard). The rear wheels was completed locked. I didnt know why nissian allows shifting into 2nd gear while the car was at 80 mph. No accident at that time either. After went from left to right .. right to left .. i didnt know how many times .. my car ended up on another side of the road .. the turn left lane .. i think i need the IS350, 4 wheel drive .. automatic .. .. j/k
Old 12-01-2006, 02:31 PM
tcn75

the control arm is only $40 from nissan dealer .. my brother just told me .. $350-$400 repair is too much ..
Old 12-03-2006, 12:15 PM
psychoticminds1

the reason you probably had the steering wheel off center with out bending anything in the front is becasue from the look of the picture the thrust angle of the car was far out so as you were driving it you were actually driving slightly sideways while traveling in a straight line.... congradulations on a really long drift :-) witho ut the spinning tires of course . glad to see you got it fixed.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:18 PM
UltraYellow350z

Originally Posted by psychoticminds1
the reason you probably had the steering wheel off center with out bending anything in the front is becasue from the look of the picture the thrust angle of the car was far out so as you were driving it you were actually driving slightly sideways while traveling in a straight line.... congradulations on a really long drift :-) witho ut the spinning tires of course . glad to see you got it fixed.
Haha, that actually makes sense since I was sideways at some point before I spun. Though, I still can't understand how I was able to stay sideways while going forward in a straight line. I guessing because I never gained back traction?
Old 12-03-2006, 03:35 PM
psychoticminds1

lol no i ment that after you hit the median you said your steering wheel was about 90 degrees offf from center that from for instance the rear tire being so far from straight that it actially is changeing what is called the thrust line of the car. the thrust line is in what direction the car will go in a straight line il try to draw a picture with characters the best i can

I I

I \

thats probably how your tires looked after the accident with your wheel straight now if you were trying to drive like that and keep your wheel centered your car would try to pull hard to the left so you turned your wheel like this

\ \

I \

now your car would feel as if it was going in a straight line down the street. but in fact the car would be traveling in a straight line down the street but would not be paralell to the edge of the road it would actually be traveling down the road slightly sideways but still following the path of a straight line.... Do you understand what im saying ? i could draw a detter picture and post it but im being lazy right now :-)
Old 12-03-2006, 03:44 PM
pushing4wardbac

Same thing happened to me. Two weeks ago, pics are on here bill was 2,136 for a spindle, lateral arm, wheel and other linkages, thank you insurance, I only paid 200.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:09 PM
UltraYellow350z

Originally Posted by psychoticminds1
lol no i ment that after you hit the median you said your steering wheel was about 90 degrees offf from center that from for instance the rear tire being so far from straight that it actially is changeing what is called the thrust line of the car. the thrust line is in what direction the car will go in a straight line il try to draw a picture with characters the best i can

I I

I \

thats probably how your tires looked after the accident with your wheel straight now if you were trying to drive like that and keep your wheel centered your car would try to pull hard to the left so you turned your wheel like this

\ \

I \

now your car would feel as if it was going in a straight line down the street. but in fact the car would be traveling in a straight line down the street but would not be paralell to the edge of the road it would actually be traveling down the road slightly sideways but still following the path of a straight line.... Do you understand what im saying ? i could draw a detter picture and post it but im being lazy right now :-)
Oh okay gotcha

Quick Reply: Slipped in the rain, hit curb, please tell me what is damaged [Pictures inside]