Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Is axle clicking repair covered under the powertrain warranty?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006 | 07:40 AM
drewb612

Default Is axle clicking repair covered under the powertrain warranty?!?!?

I have yet to get a definitive answer. I am having an extremely difficult time with a dealer right now getting them to cover this on my 03 with 29k on it. Can anyone give me a definite answer?
Old 12-19-2006 | 07:47 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

100% covered, no questions, there is even a TSB about it..
The Nut on the center of the hub needs to be reTQ'd. Tell your dealer it is a safety issue Nissan is 100% aware of and you demand it be fixed ASAP or you hold them personaly liable in the event of a catastrophic failure at high speeds..See how fast it gets fixed then.
Old 12-19-2006 | 07:54 AM
drewb612

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
100% covered, no questions, there is even a TSB about it..
The Nut on the center of the hub needs to be reTQ'd. Tell your dealer it is a safety issue Nissan is 100% aware of and you demand it be fixed ASAP or you hold them personaly liable in the event of a catastrophic failure at high speeds..See how fast it gets fixed then.
im now dealing with it through NNA as well...dealership says they wont touch it unless the whole rear end fails. What a load of BS, Maroone Nissasn of kendall, stay away
Old 12-19-2006 | 08:26 AM
PikesPeakZ

There is definitely a TSB for it and it is covered until 60,000 miles. I just had it done with 33,000 miles on my car. They just regrease the axles and tighten them. You can find the TSB here on the site or you can ask them to pull it up on their computer. I watched my service writer pull up the TSB with the head mechanic. You are getting screwed, tell them you are calling Nissan North America to let them know they are not covering a known TSB that is still well under warranty and see what happens.
Old 12-19-2006 | 08:28 AM
drewb612

Originally Posted by PikesPeakZ
There is definitely a TSB for it and it is covered until 60,000 miles. I just had it done with 33,000 miles on my car. They just regrease the axles and tighten them. You can find the TSB here on the site or you can ask them to pull it up on their computer. I watched my service writer pull up the TSB with the head mechanic. You are getting screwed, tell them you are calling Nissan North America to let them know they are not covering a known TSB that is still well under warranty and see what happens.
i did and i spoke with the service manager as well and they still wont do it! He told me they put a call into NNA to get confirmation themselves that this is under warranty. This is my first experience with a nissan dealership ever and i must say i am extremely dissapointed and pissed off
Old 12-19-2006 | 08:29 AM
SteveZ

Default You bet it is...

Originally Posted by drewb612
I have yet to get a definitive answer. I am having an extremely difficult time with a dealer right now getting them to cover this on my 03 with 29k on it. Can anyone give me a definite answer?
Absolutely. TSB, mine was covered 100%.

- SteveZ
Old 12-19-2006 | 08:35 AM
SteveZ

The TSB is 05002-1 (for the G coupe, number may be different for the 350Z but it's the same damn thing - just needs lube and reassembly). For the G it covers ALL 2003 and all 2004 with VIN's prior to Feb 16, 2004. My 2003 350Z did exactly the same thing so when it happened with my G I was ready for it. Dealer already knew about it, no hassles. They did it same time as fuel hose TSB because they had to take it apart anyway.

PM with an e-mail address and I can send you the TSB (for the G, should not be too hard for Nissan to x-ref to the 2003 Track).
Old 12-19-2006 | 08:38 AM
highside107

i did and i spoke with the service manager as well and they still wont do it! He told me they put a call into NNA to get confirmation themselves that this is under warranty. This is my first experience with a nissan dealership ever and i must say i am extremely dissapointed and pissed off
Go to another dealership. This TSB is a simple fix (takes about an hour only) and you shouldn't have to hassle with this dealer over something so simple.
Old 12-19-2006 | 08:38 AM
SteveZ

Calling NNA is their job, not yours. The TSB is out there, it's a hell of a lot easier for them to find it quickly. They are stonewalling you for some reason.

BTW service evaluation cards apply for ALL repair work; I would talk to the Svc Mgr and politely explain that if he would like to have positive feedback on their Service performance, he should help you out here. Bad service feedback is not good for dealers, they REALLY do not want it to maintain their status.
Old 12-19-2006 | 08:47 AM
SteveZ

OK, Now I see why - re-read a little closer, the TSB also states "Replace the Outer Axle Joints and Wheel Bearing(s)...on one or both sides - only the side(s) where the clicking is heard." So, seeing how little stock dealers seem to keep around he probably is hoping you'll go away so he doesn't have to order parts.
Old 12-19-2006 | 09:00 AM
drewb612

just called back, ******* said he would do it as a "dealer goodwill", should have done it in the first place anyways...problem solved
Old 12-19-2006 | 09:21 AM
SteveZ

Excellent...congrats. You won't miss the noise, trust me - had it on two cars, very annoying after it became more of a regular thing!
Old 12-19-2006 | 10:09 AM
davidv

Definitely. Ask the service manager if the rear axle is part of the drive train.
If he answers yes, then you get it fixed.
If he says no then you don’t want to be there in the first place.

Last edited by davidv; 12-26-2006 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-19-2006 | 10:55 AM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

This reminds me to get the cricket in my rear eng out of there.

Also have a third gear grind. What have you guys with tranny issues done with it?
Old 12-19-2006 | 12:05 PM
SteveZ

Originally Posted by davidv
Definitely. Ask the service manager is the rear axle is part of the drive train.
If he answers yes, then you get it fixed.
If he says no then you don’t want to be there in the first place.
C'mom, he just wears the coat, he's a Manager! All those things to keep track of, schedules, employees...can't expect him to know everything

This is the only case I have ever heard of where the axle TSB got any resistance at all. Incredible.
Old 12-19-2006 | 03:14 PM
drewb612

Originally Posted by SteveZ
C'mom, he just wears the coat, he's a Manager! All those things to keep track of, schedules, employees...can't expect him to know everything

This is the only case I have ever heard of where the axle TSB got any resistance at all. Incredible.
yes insane...i even went down there with a copy of the TSB thinking it would save them some trouble and time
Old 12-21-2006 | 10:01 AM
Azn_Empurio

yea i needed mine fixed but they said its under the bumper to bumper warranty??
now it doesnt make sense after reading this thread
Old 12-23-2006 | 02:07 AM
Active10

I had one side replaced while I was still under the 36K warrenty. I went back around 40K to have the other side replaced and the dealer said it wasnt under warrenty but he had called NNA and they approved a "value customer" request or something like that and NNA would pay for the fix.
Old 12-26-2006 | 10:19 AM
97ITR

Originally Posted by Azn_Empurio
yea i needed mine fixed but they said its under the bumper to bumper warranty??
now it doesnt make sense after reading this thread

The dealer also told me it's not covered under the powertrain warranty only bumper to bumper. They said if my axles do crap out, then they'll fix it under the powertrain warranty. What a load of bs.
Old 12-28-2006 | 11:00 PM
Azn_Empurio

Originally Posted by 97ITR
The dealer also told me it's not covered under the powertrain warranty only bumper to bumper. They said if my axles do crap out, then they'll fix it under the powertrain warranty. What a load of bs.
lmao
welcome to the city of vancouver

Quick Reply: Is axle clicking repair covered under the powertrain warranty?!?!?