Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Transmission noise when Z is cold

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 03:42 PM
halfass872

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bjr
I clicked over to your link. Let me get this straight. You got all of that replaced just becuase of a noise? Was there any real problem with anything or just a noise? Each time I read the other post it seems way over reacting but maybe you didn't tell us the whole story...
Like what was the original tranny replacement due to ?

Here's the story....Bought her in September of 06' 32,000 mis. Had the tranny (origional) replaced at 34,000 mis. They also replaced the clutch as well while it was out. (they are supposed to when replacing tranny under warranty) Brought her back again at 38,000 mis for a wierd squeeling noise when cold for the first few mins of driving at 45MPH. The noise was like once a week and then became a daily thing quickly. They had the car for a few days, i had a loaner, and they couldn't tell where it was coming from. So i think they just started replacing stuff to try and remedy the problem. So they put in a new flywheel, clutch, clutch plate, throwout baring, and pilot bearing in. Called me the evening of the fourth day to tell me that they did all that and were gonna test drive in the morning when she's nice and cold again. So the next morning i get a call that they are gonna replace the tranny again. All is well now!! The paperwork said something to the effect of a needle bearing gone bad at the input shaft. (i'm at work dont have it in front of me) This whole scenario is really getting me to think about an extended warranty. My drivetrain warranty is up in November. And i dont drive her that much (weekend car) so if this one is bad too i'll prob be outta warranty by time i know! Sorry so long
Old 01-25-2007, 03:44 PM
halfass872

BTW, first tranny was replaced due to 3rd gear grind. Both new ones are the 009 revision.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:54 PM
Aeromike03

Mine makes the same noise when cold. Thankfully I'm in Texas where it doesn't spend much time below 40!
Old 01-26-2007, 04:07 AM
bjr

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by halfass872
Here's the story....Bought her in September of 06' 32,000 mis. Had the tranny (origional) replaced at 34,000 mis. They also replaced the clutch as well while it was out. (they are supposed to when replacing tranny under warranty) Brought her back again at 38,000 mis for a wierd squeeling noise when cold for the first few mins of driving at 45MPH. The noise was like once a week and then became a daily thing quickly. They had the car for a few days, i had a loaner, and they couldn't tell where it was coming from. So i think they just started replacing stuff to try and remedy the problem. So they put in a new flywheel, clutch, clutch plate, throwout baring, and pilot bearing in. Called me the evening of the fourth day to tell me that they did all that and were gonna test drive in the morning when she's nice and cold again. So the next morning i get a call that they are gonna replace the tranny again. All is well now!! The paperwork said something to the effect of a needle bearing gone bad at the input shaft. (i'm at work dont have it in front of me) This whole scenario is really getting me to think about an extended warranty. My drivetrain warranty is up in November. And i dont drive her that much (weekend car) so if this one is bad too i'll prob be outta warranty by time i know! Sorry so long
Thanks for the details. Sounds like you had an early tranny that is known for problems but we could all be dealing with bearing noise. Now I wonder. If we all are experiencing the same noise due to a bearing it could be nothing but noise like a lot of other little noises on the Z or it could fail someday. I'll have to search around for other stories. Thanks for the help
Old 01-26-2007, 04:35 AM
halfass872

No prob!! Mine noise got progressively more frequent. I think that would be the deciding factor between normal, and something more serious.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:49 AM
bemelvin

It's so nice to read all of these posts and hear that other Z owners are having the exact same problem. I have a 03' track edition, and when it is cold out it whistles like a banchee and it is impossible to shift. I dont think the designers of the Z were planning on having it run in 30 degree weather. This site is great, thanks for everyones input.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:21 AM
bjr

It's been in the single digits around here lately and my noise will hang around an extra minute compared to before. Once I get going down a smoother road it does sometimes sound like it is coming from under the dash. It is hard to pinpoint but definately could be coming more from up front like it is the tranny not the rear end. But as long as it does not get worse I don't think I will worry about it.
I believe it's been doing this since brand new. If it's a tranny bearing that would just explain why changing the diff fluid did nothing. I'm changing the MT fluid this spring but if it is the input shaft bearing that may not change it very much either.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:36 AM
mberthia

I have noticed the whine also when the temperature is in the 30s. It's stored for the winter but I take it out usually in March. I initially though it was the tires making that noise until they warm up but now I agree it's probably trans or diff gear noise.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:44 AM
Z_rican

My Z has the same problem. I had my trans replaces about 6 months ago. Today it was 12 degrees and I have never heard that sound so damn loud. I'll be calling one of my dealers up soon.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:51 AM
rc_350z

Unhappy same noise in the cold

I have this problem as well. It is definitely related to outside temperature because above 40 or so degrees it doesn't do it.

My car is currently at the dealership and they say they cannot hear the noise so I am going to go up tomorrow morning so I can point it out for them. My car is only about 7 months old and won't likely make a year if I can't get rid of this noise.

Update:

The dealer has verified that there is indeed a noise. After hours of checking various things they contacted Nissan for guidance. Nissan instructed them to drive another 350 and if the noise was audible on the other one then it was normal. The dealer drove a new 350z with 14 miles on it and the noise was audible in this car as well. Their answer to me is now "Nissan says it is normal".

This is unacceptable to me. I am going to file a complaint with National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. I have been told that if enough people file complaints, the NHTSA will force Nissan to investigate this problem.

Complaint form link for any that wish to do so: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Update 2:
Dealer called this morning and said they were going to replaced my transmission because the noise coming from my car was about twice as loud as the noise coming from a brand new one but he can't guarantee that this will fix the problem. I guess it is something and better than "it is normal, go away".

Last edited by rc_350z; 02-15-2007 at 09:33 AM.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:18 PM
meshugineh

+1 on the whining noise. Subscribed.

03 Track @ 70K no transmission replacements.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:35 AM
bjr

Originally Posted by rc_350z
I have this problem as well. It is definitely related to outside temperature because above 40 or so degrees it doesn't do it.

My car is currently at the dealership and they say they cannot hear the noise so I am going to go up tomorrow morning so I can point it out for them. My car is only about 7 months old and won't likely make a year if I can't get rid of this noise.

Update:

The dealer has verified that there is indeed a noise. After hours of checking various things they contacted Nissan for guidance. Nissan instructed them to drive another 350 and if the noise was audible on the other one then it was normal. The dealer drove a new 350z with 14 miles on it and the noise was audible in this car as well. Their answer to me is now "Nissan says it is normal".

This is unacceptable to me. I am going to file a complaint with National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. I have been told that if enough people file complaints, the NHTSA will force Nissan to investigate this problem.

Complaint form link for any that wish to do so: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Update 2:
Dealer called this morning and said they were going to replaced my transmission because the noise coming from my car was about twice as loud as the noise coming from a brand new one but he can't guarantee that this will fix the problem. I guess it is something and better than "it is normal, go away".
I don't find it unacceptable. This is not a luxury car. You would be surprised how many noises a car "normally" makes and the efforts that car makers **** away to make the car quiet. It's the reason we have a special flywheel. What's it called, a dual mass flywheel. To try and quiet the noisy tranny. The fact that a dozen or so of us have the same noise under the same conditions and have no trouble is more than enough proof for me. It may turn out that 120,000 miles later we may find out that it was a noise that was a part that could have been improved but nobody knows that right now including Nissan. If you are that worried about it, if warranties work any way they did 10-15 years ago, have it documented that you came in, that they found the noise and document what Nissans reply was. You have the powertrain warranty to back you up and in some cases if something was brought up under the warranty period and they said it was fine you may still be covered past the warranty in some cases. I've heard stories about this but it may not apply any more. Tell your dealer how concerned you are about it and see how things would be handled many years down the road if there is a problem. I personally would not push them to fix something that is just a noise and doing no harm. You don't want that kind of stuff torn apart. I'd be much more concerned about them tearing the whole car apart and putting it back together right than some little noise. Go back and talk to them until you feel comfortable.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:51 PM
oldbutfast

Well you my think OK but I have the same noise cold . Dealer made me come show them the noise parked the car there rented a car and came back the next day took the mechanic out for test ride . The car made the noise and I left the car there . They called me later that day and said they were keeping car till they could replace the diff. I was amused as I never complained abut the rear end whine just the transmission noise . Got the car back 9 days later they payed for the rent car . I was happy they changed the rear end new one oh so quite . Well the transmission noise was still there , so I returned to the dealer. They said leave over night and return to the dealer and test drive with mechanic. So rented a car left it at the dealer and returned and test drove with mechanic. Once again I made it make the noise and returned to shop . Then the mechanic said to come for a test ride with him ,so we got in a new 06 z and off we went . To my surprise he made the new Z make the same noise but not quit as loud as mine . Then he tells me well the new Z makes the noise so its normal. The noise is not normal it screams like I'm out of oil and yes I probably should have warmed up a bit more and normally do . The point is this car has 5k miles on it oil been changed 2 times since new and I understand the idea that its nice to warm the car up a bit,but if its 48 degrees F you should be able to get in the car and drive away without noise or damage to the car. The thing is they know the transmissions make this noise. I have read enough in the forum to know they know what the noise is but wont say. Story end I 'm not a happy camper
Old 03-02-2007, 06:09 AM
rc_350z

They put a new transmission in my car last week. The noise is now gone, or so quiet that I can no longer hear it, which amounts to the same difference in my mind.

I would also like to say that they did initially say the same thing to me that they did to oldbutfast, that they drove a new one and it did it as well, just not as loud as it was in my car. They have some sort of defect, they know about it. If you are easily put off they will just blow you off, if you are someone like me that will happily raise hell when needed, they will eventually fix it.

I don't know if this will help anyone else, but my reciept says:
Test drove vehicle heard noise coming from underneath, installed chasis ears -- found noise coming from inside the transmission.. Replaced manual transmisssion ***'y, completed.. Tech # 625 == Techline reference number 810860
Old 03-02-2007, 04:22 PM
bjr

They put a new transmission in my car last week. The noise is now gone, or so quiet that I can no longer hear it, which amounts to the same difference in my mind.]
Well, which one is it? Gone or so quiet??
I would also like to say that they did initially say the same thing to me that they did to oldbutfast, that they drove a new one and it did it as well, just not as loud as it was in my car. They have some sort of defect, they know about it. If you are easily put off they will just blow you off, if you are someone like me that will happily raise hell when needed, they will eventually fix it.
They know about it. OK, so WHAT IS IT? Did you ask them?!

I don't know if this will help anyone else, but my reciept says:
Test drove vehicle heard noise coming from underneath, installed chasis ears -- found noise coming from inside the transmission.. Replaced manual transmisssion ***'y, completed.. Tech # 625 == Techline reference number 810860
Sorry everyone but I'm just not buying it yet. Has ANYONE acutally had a PROBLEM due to JUST this noise is or are you just paranoid? Maybe someday this post will have some usefull information for us all.
Old 03-03-2007, 05:19 PM
Barmats

Interesting... mine whines but only when it's extremely cold (below -10 or so) and with the clutch out and the car in neutral. It goes away after a few minutes. It never occurred to me that this wasn't normal.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:11 PM
Ztalker

Originally Posted by Barmats
Interesting... mine whines but only when it's extremely cold (below -10 or so) and with the clutch out and the car in neutral. It goes away after a few minutes. It never occurred to me that this wasn't normal.
are you sure it's not your flywheel that is making the noise when cold in neutral?
Old 03-04-2007, 02:57 PM
Barmats

I suppose it could be the flywheel. I'm not sure if the noise is a good thing or a bad thing. It would have to sit for several hours at the dealer in very cold temps to recreate it, so I haven't pursued it. Only a problem when it's very cold.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:15 AM
bjr

We all have MT's here right?
Like above, I just always thought it was normal too. The only thing I would be slightly concerned about is a lubrication problem. I keep thinking of what happened to my mother-in-laws '86(?) Dodge 600. The tranny went out. I pulled it out and took it apart becuase I worked with a guy that had been a tranny tech for years. He inspected it, bought new parts and re-assembled it for me. This was an automatic but the case was designed to sit at a bad angle and the top most part of the tranny did not get lubricated properly. They are known for those years to last 60,000 miles typically so he said plan on doing it again in 60K.
Not related much but a bad design is a bad design. Or it could just be there is a better choice of fluid? Since this is only when it is cold I don't see how it could be much of a problem but I am not denying that there could be long term issues. It sure would be nice to know, huh? Especially since I have 50k rolling up on the odometer!
Old 03-06-2007, 01:07 PM
Road Warrior

mt here...whining is intermittant and very annoying. does not sound normal to me. i only have about 12k and an 04'. i am a bit concerned due to the fact my warranty expires the end of this year. so what is nissan's solution to the problem

Quick Reply: Transmission noise when Z is cold