Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Transmission noise when Z is cold

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 01:54 AM
oldbutfast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks rc 350 z glad theres someone that thinks this noise is a problem. Well I was a line mechanic for Ford and Chevy ,Ford for nine years and Chevy for eight years. There are not many noises that make me pull over but this one will at least the first time. Well they haven't heard the last from me. They told me there service rep would call me ,but its been a week. So its time to go see them again. What it sounds like to me is the output bushing on transmission is not getting proper lubrication,I ask the tech if he looked at the drive line slip yoke showed any sign of discoloration or scoring. He said it looked fine,but I really think he never looked. The point is I hope it hasn't hurt the transmission as the owners manual didn't tell me to bring the car above 40f before driving LOL. Also the noise has been getting worse with time so still have 54k and 4 years left on drive train warranty. I love the way my z drives other the noise and clutch. So easy to overheat the clutch and its soft.But I still love my zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 03-08-2007, 02:55 AM
bjr

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by oldbutfast
Also the noise has been getting worse with time so still have 54k and 4 years left on drive train warranty.
Hopefully that is one key point. Mine never gets any worse. I may call my dealer soon just to see if they "know anything." Mine is actaully fairly helpful and when I went to get an alignment I found out they just recruited a very knowledgeable young mechanic from another dealer that knows alot about Z's and G's. Maybe he will know something. I'll post any new info if I get it.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:34 AM
Road Warrior

unfortunately for me my warranty expires this year...i need to pull the trigger here.

however, since the problem is intermittant it's going to be hard to track down
Old 03-13-2007, 08:46 AM
behjjeh
Vendor - Former Vendor

i have same problem here also..
06 GT.. but now it's getting warmer here so i cant take it to dealer...
can't duplicate the problem..........................
Old 04-05-2007, 04:53 PM
Aznteazer

took my car into the dealership today. gonna leave it there overnite and have a ride along with a tech tomorrow morning.
even at 70 degrees here in cali, i get the noise but it only happens for about a minute of driving.
during winter with 50 degree weather, the noise lasted at least 5 mins.

so is the definite solution to this problem "a new tranny"?
Old 04-09-2007, 06:42 AM
6society

OP here, please let me know what you find out, I'm taking her in Friday to get it checked out.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:46 AM
nosurf2day

Orlando florida here. I have the same problem when it gets cool here. It doesn't have to be extremely cold. in the low 70's is enough. when it sits over night it whirrs when I take off, no high speeds no fast driving. it goes away after a couple of minutes. I do have a hard time shifting into second when its cold. I changed out my diff and tranny fluid to amsoil and the noise remains. I have 74K miles on the tranny right now.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:25 AM
quint1

Common problem, mine comes and goes. Changing fluids does not help. Can be annoying at times, but does not hurt anything.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:10 PM
quentinc25

I do believe the noise that you are all hearing is the throw-out bearing. The bearing seems to whine during colder weather because the grease seems to harden up or something. It is funny after all these years, nissan is still having this issue. I bought a brand new 1995 Hard body that was having the same issues. They changed the bearing but it still didn't change anything and Nissan came back with the same old its "normal". I put over 150,000 miles on my truck with that wine every time it got cold but never had an issue.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:59 PM
Aznteazer

Originally Posted by Aznteazer
took my car into the dealership today. gonna leave it there overnite and have a ride along with a tech tomorrow morning.
even at 70 degrees here in cali, i get the noise but it only happens for about a minute of driving.
during winter with 50 degree weather, the noise lasted at least 5 mins.

so is the definite solution to this problem "a new tranny"?

finally after my car sitting at the dealership for 2 weeks, im getting my baby back tomorrow, and they did confirm that it was the transmission.
dropped off jwt clutch&flywheel while they swapped out the tranny.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:03 AM
Road Warrior

finally after my car sitting at the dealership for 2 weeks, im getting my baby back tomorrow, and they did confirm that it was the transmission.
in cali myself and my tranny noise is more intermittant. it would be hard to reproduce the noise but i have the same problem as you.

did your tranny whine everytime out or just during those times in the colder temps?

glad to hear you got resolution...and took advantage of the situation by adding in the goodies
Old 04-20-2007, 09:10 AM
Aznteazer

Originally Posted by Road Warrior
in cali myself and my tranny noise is more intermittant. it would be hard to reproduce the noise but i have the same problem as you.

did your tranny whine everytime out or just during those times in the colder temps?

glad to hear you got resolution...and took advantage of the situation by adding in the goodies
only whines/whirrs during colder temps, or in the cool mornings..
just make an appointment with the dealership, drop it off early, wait there the next morning and have nobody drive the car until u get there and are ready to take the tech for a ride along.
i knew mine would make the noise as long as i had the car parked overnite and the dealership had no problem with me leaving the car and diagnosing the sound next day.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:39 AM
Road Warrior

aznteazer....please post up when you get your car back to see if that resolves your problem...very interested to hear your results
Old 04-20-2007, 12:30 PM
bjr

Aznteazer - don't see your original post anywhere. What were your symptoms and under what conditions? And just what was wrong with the tranny?
Thanks!
Old 04-20-2007, 02:16 PM
Aznteazer

Originally Posted by bjr
Aznteazer - don't see your original post anywhere. What were your symptoms and under what conditions? And just what was wrong with the tranny?
Thanks!
my original post is post#45. i just searched for this thread and posted to see if there were any answers before i took it to the dealership.

i just got my car back during my lunch break.
i probably wont be driving my car until sunday morning so i will keep you guys updated on whether the transmission was the cause.

roadwarrior - r u sure ur drivetrain warranty is gonna end soon cuz that warranty goes longer than 4yr, 60k miles.

Last edited by Aznteazer; 04-20-2007 at 02:18 PM.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:27 AM
bjr

my original post is post#45. i just searched for this thread and posted to see if there were any answers before i took it to the dealership.

i just got my car back during my lunch break.
i probably wont be driving my car until sunday morning so i will keep you guys updated on whether the transmission was the cause.

roadwarrior - r u sure ur drivetrain warranty is gonna end soon cuz that warranty goes longer than 4yr, 60k miles.
Thanks. Missed it up there. So you have trouble even in fair weather. How long has it been doing that and did it get worse over time? Please let us know anything else you can. If brand new trannies are making the same noise cold I have a hard time believing they can fix it and am slightly concerned about long term reliability of whatever part is making that noise. Did they seem to put your car back together right? Hope you are OK now!
Old 04-21-2007, 03:59 PM
Aznteazer

ok i drove it today after my car sitting for 24 hours. it was around 67 degrees and nomore noise! i didnt drive it in the morning tho. had no time, but tomorrow morning if i wake up early enuf, i'll take it out for another spin and see if i hear the noise.
i actually stalled today with my new clutch & flywheel but everything else seems fine.
Old 04-21-2007, 04:01 PM
Aznteazer

Originally Posted by bjr
Thanks. Missed it up there. So you have trouble even in fair weather. How long has it been doing that and did it get worse over time? Please let us know anything else you can. If brand new trannies are making the same noise cold I have a hard time believing they can fix it and am slightly concerned about long term reliability of whatever part is making that noise. Did they seem to put your car back together right? Hope you are OK now!
the noise was only audible during cool to cold weathers when my car has been sitting over nite. temperatures below 70 degrees mostly.
the noise only gets louder when its colder or if i haven't been driving the car for a couple days.
other than that, the noise is pretty consistent.

theres another member on g35driver Accordfreak who had the same problem and got his tranny replaced.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:32 PM
stratonick

Guys, I had the exact some issue and i actually found this forum BECAUSE i was looking for someone to confirm what was going on...I have a '04 Enth. 350Z with 30K on it. I brought it to the dealer and they had it for a week trying to figure out what was wrong with it, (I live in NJ, so it's pretty cold here now) well they finally figured it out (hopefully)... they replaced the throwout bearing as well as the pilot bushing, and now all is well. no noise, and i've been driving it around in 34-45 Deg. weather for almost a week now.... i'd suggest getting those 2 parts replaced first, and see if you have the same success as i did.

NOW i do have one issue, ever since i got my car back from the dealership whenever i put the car into 1st OR reverse Gear and let the clutch out, there's a NOTICABLE "rough" spot right before the clutch fully engages.... my clutch NEVER had ANY issues before the dealership did their work to the bushing and bearing.... regardless of how many RPM's i gave it when going into 1st or reverse, it was always a smooth sync-up. Any idea what's causing this!? My guess is either the tech who "test-drove" it beat the heck outta the clutch, OR maybe an adjustment is needed after a new throwout bearing is installed?
ANY help on that little problem would be very much appreciated!