Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

2nd gear problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006 | 10:25 PM
joe645733

Default 2nd gear problem?

Hey guys whats up.
i dont know if im just missing a gear but sometimes when im gunning the car, and im throwing into second, ill put the stick all the way down and ill feel that i have it down enough to engage the gear, but when i let the clutch off and gas, i just hear reving...like, high reving. it scares me sometimes haha. it happened tonight when i took my friend for a spin. it doesnt happen all the time but its happened maybe 3 times and ive had it for about 3 weeks now.

its a used 04 track model. 60k mile warranty. is it something to bring into the dealer?

AND is this normal,
does anyone hear any like, cracking noise when ur in first just goin slow. when ur gassing a little and letting off. idk if its anything bad, maybe its just engine pussing or something. but i hear it under the car a bit. and by cracking i dont mean seirous cracking, its not loud at all but i can hear some junk sound if i listen carefully.

the car drives very smooth in every gear, but im new to the manual life of cars. but im very used to the clutch and everything by now.

thanks dudes
Old 12-27-2006 | 10:30 PM
DJMatrix1067

wait so what exactly happens.

your in first gear and u gun the engine. are you taking it to redline?

then you nail the clutch down, shift to 2nd, feather clutch out/ gas in right?

and then u say instead of the car taking off like it should, it just rolls as if in neutral and ur engine revs?

or can u feel the gear slowing you down, but the engine is reving?

are you sure its all the way into second? what do you do so that the car becomes driveable again?

sounds like maybe youve burnt a clutch? donno this is one for the more advanced guys i think
Old 12-27-2006 | 10:36 PM
joe645733

Originally Posted by DJMatrix1067
wait so what exactly happens.

your in first gear and u gun the engine. are you taking it to redline?

then you nail the clutch down, shift to 2nd, feather clutch out/ gas in right?

and then u say instead of the car taking off like it should, it just rolls as if in neutral and ur engine revs?

or can u feel the gear slowing you down, but the engine is reving?

are you sure its all the way into second? what do you do so that the car becomes driveable again?

sounds like maybe youve burnt a clutch? donno this is one for the more advanced guys i think
yeah maybe im hitting redline a bit? i usually hit off around 6-6500 rpm's. im guessing its al the way into second cuz the first time i did it, it scared the **** out of me. im just telling myself that im not putting it all the way to second haha. but yeah, what id do is, when that happens, i just throw it into neutral then put it back into second and it goes fine...idk its confusing.

im NOT into neutral when im doing it... or else id know what im doing wrong then u know? i can feel a decent vibration on the stick when it happens though.

the car is drivable. it rarely happens. the 3 times its happened is when im hitting nearredline/redline.
Old 12-27-2006 | 10:38 PM
joe645733

idk, maybe the clutch is wearin a bit? and its not catching second under high push or somethin? idk...or maybe im slackin a bit on some muscle hah. maybe i should throw it down harder or somethin
Old 12-28-2006 | 03:57 AM
MasterRacer

Originally Posted by joe645733
idk, maybe the clutch is wearin a bit? and its not catching second under high push or somethin? idk...or maybe im slackin a bit on some muscle hah. maybe i should throw it down harder or somethin

lol why in gods name would you want to redline 1st gear????? Till bout 3000 RPMs is fine then slap second and yes most of us know that the tranny aint silky smooth like ma mama's draws lol 2nd gear is a bit notchy in mine as well.....to 3rd sometimes its iffy as well but other then that you really shouldn't be having issues unless the prev owner raped the car then got rid of it. Stop redlining 1st gear lol the civics you are racing dont stand a chance anywho
Old 12-28-2006 | 09:54 AM
DJMatrix1067

hes right.

this is not an automatic, so dont shift like an automatic (i.e. redlining every gear)

Dont redline first. Aside from being bad for your car, it really serves no purpose, you just wanna get the car into the powerband of second with first gear, once thats accomplished slap in to second and smoke em.

if you are racing someone whose sitting on a lot of power, wait for them to shift first.

might be worth taking in and having them take alook at the tranny. just to make sure everything is ok.
Old 12-28-2006 | 12:10 PM
Mrpeepers

I have the same exact problem with 2nd gear like you decribed. It happens to me when i take 1st to about 4k then shift hard/fast to 2nd with no/minimal lifting on the gas. My engine will spike up to about 5-6k, then i will say "wtf?!" and lean forward a little bit, then something will catch and i get slammed by into my seat. 3-6th gear works fine. This doesnt happen all the time.

My car has 22k, i am the 2nd owner, and its a 2003 touring.

The sound under your car you hear is probobly the rear axles. You can reproduce this sound by rolling in 1st gear, blip the throttle, and listen after you get off you will hear it click. This can be heard easiest in a parking garage
Old 12-28-2006 | 02:39 PM
joe645733

Originally Posted by MasterRacer
lol why in gods name would you want to redline 1st gear????? Till bout 3000 RPMs is fine then slap second and yes most of us know that the tranny aint silky smooth like ma mama's draws lol 2nd gear is a bit notchy in mine as well.....to 3rd sometimes its iffy as well but other then that you really shouldn't be having issues unless the prev owner raped the car then got rid of it. Stop redlining 1st gear lol the civics you are racing dont stand a chance anywho
oh alright.

cuz i noticed that my car really kicks at like 5k rpm's in 2nd gear. so i figured that its like that with every gear. but every ratio is different.

and if ur thinking, im not redlining my 1st gear when im normally driving...when im driving normal im shifting at like 2.5k-3k.

just when im in first, going slow, then stomping the pedal. and im not bringing it to 7k-8k. cuz that level does absolultey nothing. im talking like 6k rpms.
Old 12-28-2006 | 02:52 PM
microd

Do you have VDC or TCS? ...if you do, do you have the same problem if you turn off the VDC/TCS? Maybe VDC/TCS is not wanting to let the wheels slip on the pavement...
Old 12-28-2006 | 05:59 PM
cferraro85

going into second is usually never real smooth from what ive found. Correct me if im wrong but many other people on this forum can vouch for the notchy feeling in 2nd. If your driving you car hard like that, i would consider a clutch upgrade. just my 2 cents
Old 12-28-2006 | 06:01 PM
cferraro85

oh yea and for the clicking in the rear, its the axles. there is a TSB on that. Nissan will know what it is, and it should be covered under powertrain warranty. I used to have it too.