Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Bent Rim and Tire Growl???

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 08:34 AM
350NC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bent Rim and Tire Growl???

I just purchased new tires from the local Tire Shop. after purchasing a new set of 235/40/18 General Exclaim UHP for my 350Z, i immediately noticed a tire growl but only when veering to the right at any speed. (above 20 mph of course)

The tire shop blamed it on a wheel bearing, which i had checked out and determined not to be the caused. So they then blamed it on a bent rim.

My feeling is that it's the tires, but my question is could a tiny bend in a front drivers side rim (too small for me to see with my eyes) cause a tire growl only when steering to the right? Or would it more likely be the tire? I should note that the tire growl is not constant, its more like "whomp....whomp......whomp.....whomp" not a steady "whommmmmmmmmp" if you know what im saying. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:54 AM
JDMFairladyZ33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 350NC
I just purchased new tires from the local Tire Shop. after purchasing a new set of 235/40/18 General Exclaim UHP for my 350Z, i immediately noticed a tire growl but only when veering to the right at any speed. (above 20 mph of course)

The tire shop blamed it on a wheel bearing, which i had checked out and determined not to be the caused. So they then blamed it on a bent rim.

My feeling is that it's the tires, but my question is could a tiny bend in a front drivers side rim (too small for me to see with my eyes) cause a tire growl only when steering to the right? Or would it more likely be the tire? I should note that the tire growl is not constant, its more like "whomp....whomp......whomp.....whomp" not a steady "whommmmmmmmmp" if you know what im saying. Thanks for the help.
First of all are you running 235s all the way around? Simplest solution is tell them to swap the the fronts with the backs or front right with front left and see if you still get the pull. As far as the whomp sound it may be due to a flat spot on the tires or an out of round molding. If your wheel was bent you can see it on the balancer. Generally a bent wheel will require way more weight to correct the balancing. IF they are not using a lot of weights and the wheel is not bouncing on the balancer then chances are you are okay. Generals are not very high quality tires. It does not suprise me you are having these issues. Ask the shop if they have a 30 day ride satisfaction clause. Most tire places do. If so tell them you hate the tires and swap them out for different set.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:01 AM
350NC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info, just to clarify for you, i'm running 235/40/18 on the front and 245/45/18 on the rear. I asked for 225/45/18 for the front, since that was standard size, but the technician talked me into going with the 235/40/18 instead. But yes, they said they have a 320 day ride guarantee, i believe i'm going to swap them out for something else, I have heard bad things about the generals from other mechanics as well....Thanks again