Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

air conditioner blowing warm air.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 03:14 PM
gunnerz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks very much for the replies julian and fklentz. I'll stop by an a/c shop and have it checked.

I have a couple service records that show that I requested they check the a/c, but both times they said they didn't find anything wrong with it.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:21 AM
Nucleus

I think I read a post on here with someones aftermarket intake shield rubbing on an A/C line and making a pinhole leak in it.

Old 07-08-2007, 03:02 PM
gunnerz

Default another update...

Guy from a/c shop checked my pressure and said it was good. He said one of my fans is going bad and that he would have to replace the motor and would charge me $270!! I guess it would make sense because sitting idle my a/c blows out warm air, but when I get up to aout 35 mph or more my a/c starts to cool again. Only thing is when I check the fans out at home they seem to be on and working properly.
I'm thinking of taking it to a different shop to get another opinion.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:17 AM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

where is the AC relay? can't find it in the manual!!!

Thanks
Old 07-12-2007, 08:40 AM
julian

Originally Posted by gunnerz
Guy from a/c shop checked my pressure and said it was good. He said one of my fans is going bad and that he would have to replace the motor and would charge me $270!! I guess it would make sense because sitting idle my a/c blows out warm air, but when I get up to aout 35 mph or more my a/c starts to cool again. Only thing is when I check the fans out at home they seem to be on and working properly.
I'm thinking of taking it to a different shop to get another opinion.
which fan is he referring to? does the z have an electric radiator cooling fan? and which fans did you check at home?

let the car idle with the AC on, blower fan on highest setting, temp at full cold. wait 5 minutes or so (it helps if it's hot outside) and if the radiator cooling fan comes on, it means it's working properly.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:38 AM
gunnerz

Originally Posted by julian
which fan is he referring to? does the z have an electric radiator cooling fan? and which fans did you check at home?

let the car idle with the AC on, blower fan on highest setting, temp at full cold. wait 5 minutes or so (it helps if it's hot outside) and if the radiator cooling fan comes on, it means it's working properly.
He was referring to the one of the two fans in the front of my car in the engine bay. Both seem to be turning, but maybe one might be going bad?
Old 07-15-2007, 11:14 PM
gunnerz

Just confirmed that my passenger side fan motor is going bad. It turns on and off intermittently. Also, when the temp increases and the fan start to increase in speed it will spin for a bit then shut off completely. I checked online, it's about $150 for a replacement motor. Does anyone know how hard it is to replace this part? Anyone have instructions on this? Thanks.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:29 AM
julian

Originally Posted by gunnerz
Just confirmed that my passenger side fan motor is going bad. It turns on and off intermittently. Also, when the temp increases and the fan start to increase in speed it will spin for a bit then shut off completely. I checked online, it's about $150 for a replacement motor. Does anyone know how hard it is to replace this part? Anyone have instructions on this? Thanks.
the fan doesn't have to stay on all the time so you should double check before buying a new fan. the fact that the fan is turning means the motor is still good. if it never turns on, then that's an indication something's wrong with either the motor, the relay, or the signal from the ECU. you know the motor and relay are good (since the fan is turning at least some of the time), so you have to check the signal from the ECU.

depending on the logic in the ECU, the fan could turn off once a certain temp or pressure is reached.

for example, your engine coolant temp is in the middle of operating range. fan is off. ect starts getting high, fan turns on, once temp drops, ecu tells fan to turn off.

replace "ect" with "refrigerant pressure" and you have the behavior you're seeing on the passenger side fan.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:42 AM
gunnerz

What's happening with my car is the driver's side fan is going full blast trying to cool my engine and the pass side is turning on and off intermittently. I would figure they would turn on and off at the same time.
I'm taking my car into the dealer. I'm passed warranty, but I took it in a couple times for this problem before and they couldn't find anything wrong. There is something wrong with the pass side fan (motor, relay,...) and it should be covered because they couldn't fix it before my warranty expired. I'll keep this thread updated after Wednesday to see what the problem actually is.

Originally Posted by julian
the fan doesn't have to stay on all the time so you should double check before buying a new fan. the fact that the fan is turning means the motor is still good. if it never turns on, then that's an indication something's wrong with either the motor, the relay, or the signal from the ECU. you know the motor and relay are good (since the fan is turning at least some of the time), so you have to check the signal from the ECU.

depending on the logic in the ECU, the fan could turn off once a certain temp or pressure is reached.

for example, your engine coolant temp is in the middle of operating range. fan is off. ect starts getting high, fan turns on, once temp drops, ecu tells fan to turn off.

replace "ect" with "refrigerant pressure" and you have the behavior you're seeing on the passenger side fan.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:47 PM
gunnerz

problem fixed. dealer changed out fan motor and they covered the repair costs.
Old 04-29-2020, 01:49 AM
jamesmerry

Default Air conditioner

I understand why your air conditioner behave like this. Because you was not maintain properly on your air conditioner. There are available cleaning services in dubai, just connect with them and get the proper solution.
Old 04-29-2020, 05:26 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,127 Likes on 6,580 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesmerry
I understand why your air conditioner behave like this. Because you was not maintain properly on your air conditioner. There are available cleaning services in dubai, just connect with them and get the proper solution.
that means they would have to live in dubai and still be active on the forum..... last post was in 2007