Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Possible Differential Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2003, 10:17 PM
reneedalady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Possible Differential Problem?

Please excuse my post if it seems a bit on the ignorant side, I'm a bit green to actual auto-mechanics. I do however have alot of experience driving. First off, I LOVE many aspects of this car. Unfortunately, I do seem to be experiencing most ALL of the problems posted by the users of this board. Window streaks, shifting drivers seat, numerous rattles, excessively rough shifting, etc.

Anyhow, my main concern is the very noisy clutch and the strange sounds that seem to accompany it. With the clutch disengaged I hear what sounds like a noisy throwout bearing, but I also hear a loose clunking sound from the rear of the car. When I accelerate quickly, there is a sound almost like that of an engine knock, only it originates from the rear of the car. Often times get a similar sound when starting slowly in first gear. I had a friend of mine who is a mechanic tell me that the sound is definately not normal, and that it sounds to him like excessively slack differential gears rattling and resonating up the drive shaft.

Also, when shutting the engine off while in neutral with the clutch disengaged, it makes a sound resembling someone shaking a coffee can full of rocks.

Nissan Techs tell me that everything is within normal operating specs, even though I can point out the noises and show them that another 350 on thier lot does not make the same sounds.

Any suggestions you guys might have concerning what it might be, or how to get Nissan to do anything about it would be GREATLY appreciated. I put alot of stock in my friends opinion as he is quite a mechanic, but admittedly he hasn't had much exposure to the 350Z.

Thanks in advance for any and all responses!
Old 04-11-2003, 09:07 AM
mpol99

With the loud transmission sound when disengaging the clutch in neutral, you will hear a slight sound on a 350z. I'm almost sure its normal.

With the clunking of your rear, you should take your car in, as that definitely (as you described it) is not normal.

Good luck with it!
Marcin
Old 04-12-2003, 10:24 AM
Kamana

I have the same "clunking" sound coming from the rear of my car too when I am pulling out normally from 1st and 2nd. I checked under the rear of my car and noticed that the driver side axle could be moved from side to side (wheel to rear end). And, when you did this it made a "clunking" sound.

I took the car back to the dealer (my car has only 400 mi) and they told me that they needed to replace the axle cover but the play in the axle will aways be there (that doesn't sound right to me).

I'd be interested to know what the dealer tell you.

Aloha,
Kamana
Old 04-13-2003, 01:37 PM
zpeed350

it's easy to get a clunking sound if you don't match rev's properly on you upshift...