Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Problems downshifting into 3rd gear

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 05:29 AM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Problems downshifting into 3rd gear

I've seen the numerous threads about people having problems with grinding, but I haven't seen anybody mention having problems downshifting into 3rd gear.

Now, a few points of clarification, this problem has only only occurred when the tranny gets really hot. The problem manifested during my 3rd session at Mid-Ohio 6 weeks ago. At the end of the straight, I'd downshift from 5th to 3rd, and the car simply refused to go into gear. This happened on three laps, and once going into the carousel. At that point in time, we figured fresh tranny fluid might be needed, or I wasn't rev-matching well enough. I wasn't the only Z having this problem. I rode with Commasense in his LeMans Sunset Z, and he too was having difficulty getting the car into gear. Dwnshift has also mentioned having problems as well.

Well, my heel-toeing has greatly improved, and over the weekend I did a little spirited driving. Again, I was braking, and downshifted from 5th into 3rd, and oila, it refused to go into gear. I had given the car a sufficient blip of the throttle, and even after that didn't work, I tried double clutching. It still didn't want to go into gear. At that point in time, I had scrubbed off enough speed that I simply threw it in 2nd.

The problem is that I don't think I will be able to reproduce the problem when I take it to the dealer. I do have an early car, #767 to be exact. I really don't want to have to bring up the fact to the dealership that the problem emerged at the track, because I don't want them to associate it with racing (which I believe voids the warranty) as I am simply participating in HPDEs (not timed events). Can anybody provide any technical insight or provide me with any recommendations?
Old 05-19-2003, 05:59 AM
westpak
SFZCC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't provide any insight other than confirm that it happend to me as well at Sebring, I was downshifting from 4th into third and it just wouldn't go in, no grinding or any noises it just wouldn't go in.

I am going next month again and I will try to pay attention if it happens again and see what the situation is like time on track and anything else.

Low vin as well 573, but no incident on the street like you I probably wont be able to duplicate for dealer.
Old 05-20-2003, 06:16 AM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dropped it off today, and sure enough, I wasn't able to duplicate the problem, so I doubt they will do anything. I'm thinking it could be something as simple as the tranny fluid breaking down under the high temperatures, but I don't know for sure...