Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Which synthetic to use?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 05:10 PM
Bill B

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which synthetic to use?

I have read several threads on several boards and have observed that some of you swear by Redline, some Royal Purple, others AMSOIL and some still use Mobil 1. Yes, we all have opinions but can someone point to some test data provided by an independent test lab where these oils were tested against oneanother?
Old 05-28-2003, 06:25 AM
n8vz

hven't used synthetics in my Z yet..but i have used both Mobil 1 and Castrol Syntec in other cars in the past. Can't tell the difference myself. Althought a few years ago, a reputable BMW mechanics told me that Mobil 1 causes cam wear in BMW engines(E36)..maybe of it's chemistry? If i can remember correctly, he uses Valvoline at his shop. anyone heard of the same?
Old 05-28-2003, 12:24 PM
Z'd

I have used Mobil 1 and more recently Castrol Syntec in my other vehicles. After reading the saga of Castrol and their purchase of base stock from Mobil (until recently) I decided to explore other options. I compared specs between Redline, AMSOil and Royal Purple. My analysis indicated that Redline and AMSOil were virtually identical in terms of quality and specs. I have chosen AMSOil 5W-30 and it continues to perform very well.
Spring the extra $$ for a quality oil filter, such as a K&N.