Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

whistling noise while cold

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 11:22 AM
Beaker02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by frizille
Hey beaker - you get #3 on warranty? I'm having issues now on my second tranny (CD009, 10k miles) with the whine at all speeds, almost no gear synchro on shifting, and really, really bad clutch engagement. I can't believe I've used the clutch up in only 10k miles (got 90k miles out of my Celica clutch and 58k out of my first 350z clutch). I've got a Competition Clutch 6-puck and lightweight fly (14 lbs) - think the dealer will cover the #3 tranny under warranty (I say that tongue in cheek)...

friz
Yes it was covered under warrenty. I am out of warrenty now (over 5 yrs) so i'm on my own. Tran #3 is now shifting smooth. If I loose this one in the future, it will be time for after market go fast parts.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:41 PM
GSXRChino

'PLUS 1' on the whistling sound after start up in the cold...only when moving though. Sound goes away after a couple miles.

Seems like too many diagnosis/symptoms/solutions/problems/etc. even AFTER THE FACT the pilot bushing/clutch bearing is fixed.
Probably wait until something major goes wrong....................................................... ........or is that a worse idea???

Seems I'm have additional minor shifting problems. But it just may be from the synthetic (AMSOIL) I changed to. Hard shifts in the cold. Wish would of stayed with OEM.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:39 PM
stratonick

Hey guys, just a quick followup on my post regarding this issue (I last posted in this thread Dec '07).
So it appears that a FULL clutch replacement (and all related parts to the clutch assembly) STILL doesnt fix this issue, it was 30 Deg. yesterday morning and the "sound" came back. It did vanish after about 10 mins of driving, but whatever causes this "whirring / spuealing" sound MUST have something to do with the cold weather; tonight it's about 48 Deg. here, and the Z gave no indication of that noise at anytime today.
Someone please post if they notice this isnt the case..... i cant figure out what could cause this to happen!
Old 11-25-2008, 02:29 PM
grudum

I was surprized to see this thread revived. I posted 11-06-2007, 01:09 PM and have since gotten a new clutch/flywheel and all the lil parts that go along with that. The noise persists, even here in phx. Only in the AM's for about a mile though.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:58 AM
highside107

Bump... I have this problem too. Whining noise in the morning (only when cold; 50-60 degrees "cold")... goes away after a few minutes. This noise just happened right after I got my 60k maintenance so not sure what the problem is.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:05 AM
bjr

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by highside107
Bump... I have this problem too. Whining noise in the morning (only when cold; 50-60 degrees "cold")... goes away after a few minutes. This noise just happened right after I got my 60k maintenance so not sure what the problem is.
That's a strange temperature. I only have the problem when it's below freezing
Old 02-24-2009, 04:03 PM
frizille

Mine still does it too. It went away for a while but had my old 6 puck replaced with an ACT clutch (same lightweight fly though) and it came back. Whatever it is the car drives fine.

What clutch fluid is everyone using? I switched to Motul RBF 600 and had it and am using ATA Super Blue now. Maybe its a low temp thing with high temp fluids?

Old 02-25-2009, 03:09 AM
bjr

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by frizille

What clutch fluid is everyone using? I switched to Motul RBF 600 and had it and am using ATA Super Blue now. Maybe its a low temp thing with high temp fluids?

Nope. Mine does it with the original fluid and I replaced with Nissan OEM fluid around 60,000.
It only sticks around on a cold start and cold outside temps (35 or below) for about 1 minute until you are down the road a little. I noticed what others tried to state a long time ago. If you press the clutch pedal and put it in neutral it's still making noise but then if you let the pedal back up in N it completely goes away. Push the pedal down to put it back in gear and it starts again.
After 90,000 miles I'm not so sure this is a great deal for concern. Probably something will fail prematurely someday though
Old 02-25-2009, 04:51 AM
highside107

Originally Posted by bjr
Nope. Mine does it with the original fluid and I replaced with Nissan OEM fluid around 60,000.
It only sticks around on a cold start and cold outside temps (35 or below) for about 1 minute until you are down the road a little. I noticed what others tried to state a long time ago. If you press the clutch pedal and put it in neutral it's still making noise but then if you let the pedal back up in N it completely goes away. Push the pedal down to put it back in gear and it starts again.
After 90,000 miles I'm not so sure this is a great deal for concern. Probably something will fail prematurely someday though
Hmm.. I noticed it immediately after the 60k maintenance which leads me to believe at least my problem is probably due to the change of fluids. I found someone on the G forums that had the exact same problem, immediately after their 30k fluids flush. I'll try finding the link, but I don't think anyone has pinpointed the problem yet.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:39 AM
NissanDrifter06

i have the same problem but i thought it was the belts, i thought the cold temp made my belts freeze or something.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:22 AM
ZBigDog

+ 1 with the noise problem...only in temps below 45 degress and for only 1 mile....after all the reading on here I'm leaving it alone.

03 Touring, 69K miles.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:40 PM
Peak350

I have it too, it gets worse if I have the clutch held in and take the shifter and hold it against the sychronizer like I'm putting it in gear, 2nd gear especially.

I think its a synchronizer whine, possibly throw out bearing whine.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:05 PM
andrewkd16

yeah mine did the same thing in the mornings but i checked the belts and it was my ac belt loose and that might be the problem might need tightening like mine just a possiblity
Old 01-07-2010, 06:23 PM
Spoonji

My car also makes a whistling only during the winter season. If I were to guess, I would also suspect the pilot bushing. I'm pretty sure (or at least hope so) the bushing is an Oil Impregnated Bronze or Brass (google it, its known for its high fatigue life and used in the industry for rotating equipment). So during the cold season, when you're sleeping, the inner diameter of the bushing shrinks because of the cold. The manifested oil also dries out. When you wake up to go to work, you warm up your car, remove the frost from the windshield and take off. A bit down the road, you hear the noise. Im pretty sure it's the noise of the tranny shaft rotating inside of the tight bushing. After a bit, the heat created from friction expands the inner diameter of the bushing. The heat created by the friction also draws out the impregnated oil inside the bushing to the surface creating a thin film of oil between the bushing and the shaft. The noise goes away and probably doesn't come back until the next morning because the oily film still exists throughout the day; only drying out when sitting for about 10+ hours or so. Waddaya think? Im pretty sure that the bushing lasts longer than pressure plate too. So the only solution I can think of is to try and put a "little" amount dry lube inside the bushing or just live with noise during the winter months. The next time I pull my tranny for a clutch kit, I'll try the dry lube and let you guys know how it turned out.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:51 PM
brandon3434

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this has been discussed before, I have the same problem...seems like its very common, just let your car warm up and it will go away, its not a big deal, its not hurting anything...its just the z and one of its weird things about it...
Old 01-11-2010, 02:01 PM
katiesdad7

Does it matter if it an auto or manual transmission?
Old 01-14-2010, 09:44 PM
brandon3434

no, not as far as i know, just let your car warm up...
Old 02-22-2010, 03:47 PM
attackr1

^^ agree, my 07 starts to have the same noise right after i changed the Trans/Diff oil at 32k miles. i doubt it will damage the transmission. it's just one of the thing you get for owning a Z i guess.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:35 PM
turbotoy

Thought I would add my 2cents. I have a Nismo flywheel, stage 2 clutch, replaced release bearing and pilot bearing. Have a fully rebuilt diff. with Nismo locker. The only common drive line components are trans., axle shaft, front and rear wheel bearings. The noise is still there. Only during winter when cold. Stops in a mile+. 68+K miles. And fluid in trans. and axle have been changed.

Last edited by turbotoy; 02-22-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:29 AM
attackr1

I truly believe the noise has something to do w/ the gear oil i used. will switch to Nissan recommend gear oil next time and post the result.

Quick Reply: whistling noise while cold