Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Ultimate Guide to storing your Z/G for the winter

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 06:16 PM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Man, don't remind me that it's almost that time. I'm pretty sure winters in MN are longer than those in OH.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:18 AM
garrettxJDM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SmoothZ
Man, don't remind me that it's almost that time. I'm pretty sure winters in MN are longer than those in OH.
I feel yah. I hate winter with everything in me... But it'll be fun in my jeep which is the only thing I'm looking forward to!
Old 10-22-2013, 04:39 PM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

I'm holding out as long as I can, but I think my Z will be hibernating by the end of the week or the month. I've already got a full tank of gas and added some Sea-Foam. I'll drive her a few more times before I complete a final detail of the interior and exterior, then get a battery tender plugged in and the car cover on her.

*sniff sniff*
Old 10-22-2013, 04:50 PM
SR71
Lead Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 305 Likes on 166 Posts

I'm holding out as long as I can, but I think my Z will be hibernating by the end of the week or the month. I've already got a full tank of gas and added some Sea-Foam. I'll drive her a few more times before I complete a final detail of the interior and exterior, then get a battery tender plugged in and the car cover on her.

*sniff sniff*
Im gonna hold out as long as I can this year, end of the month should be do-able maybe longer. Ill get it done by the first snow fall though, I maybe washing it at 12am one night before a storm though lol.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:19 AM
garrettxJDM

I feel it guys. I'm putting my lowering springs on my girl and I'll get to enjoy her for about a week, before I put her in the warehouse.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:26 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

man i am soooooo (minnesota accent joke) glad me and the girl i was dating from up there split, i would have been moving up there... decided that i like the mild texas winters and being able to drive my car all year. we get like one day of snow/ice and it is gone in a day or two tops
Old 10-23-2013, 06:14 AM
garrettxJDM

Originally Posted by travlee9374
man i am soooooo (minnesota accent joke) glad me and the girl i was dating from up there split, i would have been moving up there... decided that i like the mild texas winters and being able to drive my car all year. we get like one day of snow/ice and it is gone in a day or two tops
yeah, yeah, yeah... Keep rubbing it in my face! HAHA. Lucky..
Old 11-11-2013, 07:04 PM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Any tips on storing the Z outside? Last winter I literally washed it (paying close attention to the under body because of the salt) every time I drove it around for 20 min. Was really annoying when it's below 20 degrees out. I've read about spraying WD40 and putting oil on the under body and common places where moisture will get trapped will prevent rust from forming. Still had 2 different car covers on it, one was soft which went on first, the second was a weatherproof breathable cover. I sometimes used a plastic cover if I know it's going to snow so the snow can slip right off and won't pile up on the cover. I of course took it off once it stopped snowing. I drove it about once or twice a week but I had to always wash it in the freezing cold.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:07 PM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

So are you storing or driving the Z? If you're covering it and storing it, don't drive it unless it's your only car. In that case, I would say you could take your Z to a DIY wash once a week to keep it clean through the winter.

Whatever you do, don't wash the car when it's that cold. All your doors, hatch, locks, hood, and w/e else will freeze and you won't be able to use your car.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:01 AM
Jah70

So are you storing or driving the Z? If you're covering it and storing it, don't drive it unless it's your only car. In that case, I would say you could take your Z to a DIY wash once a week to keep it clean through the winter.

Whatever you do, don't wash the car when it's that cold. All your doors, hatch, locks, hood, and w/e else will freeze and you won't be able to use your car.
Well I washed it when the temp. is at the highest in the afternoon with warm water. I do have another car I drive but I drove my Z because I get nervous about it just sitting there inactive. I don't want anything ceasing up and not working when spring rolls around.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:15 PM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Your car won't seize up sitting there for a few months. My car has sat for 6 to 7 months before. She purrs like a beauty. Actually, she growls with the current exhaust setup.

If you keep the car covered, have the tail pipes plugged (rodents), and keep your tires inflated, you should be fine. Might want to take out the battery, though. It'll last longer in your warm house.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:45 PM
Guitarrocker98

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a question. My car has sat and been worked on for the last year and a. Half or so. I have not started it, and actually drained the gas out since it sat over a year. I'm just wondering if anyone has advice or steps on taking it out of storage. I just
It in fresh oil, and will be putting fresh antifreeze in soon and putting all fresh gas in. The shop I'm taking it to will check everything. Plugs, wiring, etc. the back door to the garage the car sits in has been open. I don't think there is an issue though since the car has been dry and not wet at all during it being down. There is never ever moisture or water sitting under the car. Just some help would be great. It may take me like 3 months to get it all the way out of the garage and worked on.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:59 PM
Jah70

Originally Posted by Guitarrocker98
I've got a question. My car has sat and been worked on for the last year and a. Half or so. I have not started it, and actually drained the gas out since it sat over a year. I'm just wondering if anyone has advice or steps on taking it out of storage. I just
It in fresh oil, and will be putting fresh antifreeze in soon and putting all fresh gas in. The shop I'm taking it to will check everything. Plugs, wiring, etc. the back door to the garage the car sits in has been open. I don't think there is an issue though since the car has been dry and not wet at all during it being down. There is never ever moisture or water sitting under the car. Just some help would be great. It may take me like 3 months to get it all the way out of the garage and worked on.
My question is similar. Mine has been sitting since November under a cover, over-inflated tires by 5 psi, released parking brake, put blocks all around it to prevent it rolling away and it has a full tank of gas with recent fuel injector cleaner put in it after my last fill up. I figured the only thing I need to do is just start it up, check the tire pressure and get it to the garage to change the oil and that's it. I normally do an inspection of the car to see if anything is leaking but from what Master Jedi SmoothZ was saying I should be fine. Some people have said that I should run the car until the old fuel is almost gone before filling it up after storage and I should add in some fuel injector cleaner at fill up to remove any possible gunk in the fuel lines. Being away from my Z for so long is making me anxious for spring. Good thing i'll be moving to a warmer climate so I won't be putting it up for winter anymore.

Last edited by Jah70; 01-22-2014 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:23 AM
Giarc51

Default Convertibles

When storing or taking out of service for a period of time (2 - 3 months) is it best to leave top up or down?
Old 03-20-2014, 05:02 PM
SR71
Lead Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 305 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Giarc51
When storing or taking out of service for a period of time (2 - 3 months) is it best to leave top up or down?
Up.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:17 PM
Giarc51

Thanks SR71
Old 03-20-2014, 05:32 PM
Jah70

I know in some parts of the country things are warming up people are starting to take their cars out. Thought i'll share a few things I'm going to be doing to my cars after their hibernation. First i'm reinstalling the batteries, then deflating or inflating the tires to spec. Then (idk if this will do anything) but some storage guru in my neighborhood with an old school Jag said I should lube the suspension springs before driving, I'm going to let the cars run for about 20 min before taking them on the highway, going to get oil changes, add coolant if they need it, check all other fluids to make sure nothing is leaking or low, check tires to make sure they don't have any abnormal noise or flat spots, then I will be running the cars to nearly an empty tank before filling up so get rid of last years gas that has been sitting in the tank. That's about it.

Any gurus that want to share their knowledge and procedures of what they do before taking their cars out of storage?
Old 03-20-2014, 06:29 PM
Sickboy101

Received 87 Likes on 41 Posts

I give my steering wheel a big kiss before I start her up...
Old 09-27-2014, 08:53 PM
DeusExMaxima

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

People store their cars in the winter??????
Old 09-28-2014, 05:13 AM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Yes, we do. It sucks, but I cringe thinking that if I drove the Z all year, I would have to put up with a dirty, rusting Z.

Quick Reply: Ultimate Guide to storing your Z/G for the winter