Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Ultimate Guide to storing your Z/G for the winter

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 12:28 PM
reptile718

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car has done a lot of hibernation over the past few years, sat once for a little over two and a half years.

Besides doing the basic stuff like a complete inspection of all the fluids and components, replacing the battery, changing the oil and adding fresh fuel; the only major thing I really did was remove all the spark plugs, add a few drops of oil to each cylinder, turn the car over a few times using just the starter to get everything circulating, that's it! Started up on the first try like it always has.

Once you get it out of your garage I recommend going to an open area to test everything out, I found that my brakes needed to be broken in a bit before they were operating normally. Another tip is prior to storing leave the car in gear with the parking brake disengaged. Learned that the hard way.

I moved to Germany last year and had the Z shipped here as well, long story short it sat in my father in laws garage until a few weeks ago, I accidentally left the parking brake on and now it does not engage properly, there is way to much play in it. On the to do list along with some other projects while it sits this winter.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:28 AM
defend_cle

This is a great thread! Im not seeing much on here in regards to car covers and critters. I am in Cleveland, Ohio so its gonna be nasty in the winter. I will keeping my Z a detached garage that is kind of set back in some trees. How do you guys keep critters and terrorist varmints from getting up into the wiring? I was told moth ***** and rat traps are a good idea. Also, I'm looking at car covers that range anywhere from $25 to $160. I know you get what you pay for, but considering its going to be in the garage, is it really necessary to splurge on a car cover or will a $40 one do just fine? For what its worth, this is my first year storing a car!

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-11-2014, 12:58 PM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by defend_cle
This is a great thread! Im not seeing much on here in regards to car covers and critters. I am in Cleveland, Ohio so its gonna be nasty in the winter. I will keeping my Z a detached garage that is kind of set back in some trees. How do you guys keep critters and terrorist varmints from getting up into the wiring? I was told moth ***** and rat traps are a good idea. Also, I'm looking at car covers that range anywhere from $25 to $160. I know you get what you pay for, but considering its going to be in the garage, is it really necessary to splurge on a car cover or will a $40 one do just fine? For what its worth, this is my first year storing a car!

Thanks in advance!
Any regular breathable car cover will do. I use some cheap no name ones on my cars when they are garaged. Keeps the dust off very well and they are soft on the inside. Outdoor car covers though, your gonna need some high quality stuff to protect the car from the elements and not get burnt up by the sun or fly off from the wind. ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOUR CAR IS CLEAN BEFORE PUTTING THE COVER ON. This can't be stressed enough. You don't have to wash it every time you put a cover on, you can use a quick detailer with a microfiber cloth to lightly wipe away dirty bits or a duster.

Last edited by Jah70; 10-11-2014 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:51 AM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Agreed that the car has to be superclean before putting on the cover. I normally don't have problems with critters during storage, but I recently started using dryer sheets inside the car and engine compartment (near the battery) to deter the mice.

I used to use hedge *****, if you can find them. Those go in the corners of the garage.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:45 PM
steven350

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't know if was mentioned, but can anyone advise how to store performance wheels and tires for winter? Is it better to keep them on the car? Anything to protect the rubber from drying and cracking?
Old 12-21-2014, 05:46 AM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by steven350
Don't know if was mentioned, but can anyone advise how to store performance wheels and tires for winter? Is it better to keep them on the car? Anything to protect the rubber from drying and cracking?
Depends but you can put your car up on jack stands and take the wheels/tires off to store inside your house. Or you could get wheel dollies and leave your wheels/tires on the car but store the whole car on those dollies.

Also, you won't have problems if the car is stored for just a few months.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:18 AM
steven350

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SmoothZ
Depends but you can put your car up on jack stands and take the wheels/tires off to store inside your house. Or you could get wheel dollies and leave your wheels/tires on the car but store the whole car on those dollies.

Also, you won't have problems if the car is stored for just a few months.
Thanks the car is garage kept in the winter months, I was just unsure of any protection needed for the tires
Old 12-21-2014, 09:21 AM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

I've done it both ways. Never had problems either way.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:28 AM
Fridge Gnome

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Prepping for Winter?

I'm about to head back to school in Indiana(-5F the other day) for the winter, and for the first time I'm going to be taking my Z with me.

I've been doing some research on here and I plan on checking all my fluids, and maybe putting fuel stabilizer in the gas? I also have a pretty new set of tires and a car cover.

Unfortunately, the car will have to spend it's time in an open garage the whole time.

What can I do to take car of my Z while I'm there?

Last edited by Fridge Gnome; 01-09-2015 at 06:29 AM.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:14 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Has the Z been recently washed, clayed and waxed? Are the "pretty new set of tires" actual snow tires? Is the car cover the all-season type?

No need for fuel stabilizer if you're driving the car at least once a week. If you're not driving it, why are you taking it?
Old 01-09-2015, 09:32 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmura
Has the Z been recently washed, clayed and waxed? Are the "pretty new set of tires" actual snow tires? Is the car cover the all-season type?

No need for fuel stabilizer if you're driving the car at least once a week. If you're not driving it, why are you taking it?
I've never used a fuel stabilizer when over-wintering. I wouldn't worry about it. But that's just me

Check your coolant! Too much water, and you could have an expensive mess on your hands.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:43 AM
Fridge Gnome

Originally Posted by dkmura

I'm hoping to get a wash and wax in before I leave. It's just about the warmest it's going to get right now, so maybe I'll do it now

They are not snow tires. I'm prepared to slow down and take my time if the roads get bad.

The cover is all-weather.

If needed, I'd probably enjoy taking the car out every week. But for the most part, it will just be sitting there. I'm taking it because it will allow me to go back and forth between home without finding rides or having someone pick me up. The RWD is not a good choice for this, but that's how it ended up.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:06 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by Fridge Gnome
I'm hoping to get a wash and wax in before I leave. It's just about the warmest it's going to get right now, so maybe I'll do it now

They are not snow tires. I'm prepared to slow down and take my time if the roads get bad.

The cover is all-weather.

If needed, I'd probably enjoy taking the car out every week. But for the most part, it will just be sitting there. I'm taking it because it will allow me to go back and forth between home without finding rides or having someone pick me up. The RWD is not a good choice for this, but that's how it ended up.
The tires are a critical component. Slowing down and taking your time may not be enough to avoid trouble if it's not the correct rubber compound. If the tires are designed for summer use, the compound can get hard when the temps drop below 33 degrees F. RWD and V6 power will make it worse. What brand and model tires are on the car?
Old 01-09-2015, 11:32 AM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

As dkmura states, you need snow tires when driving in snow or on ice (i.e., frozen ground).

I’ve test driven all-season tires during the winter, and they are not adequate on a 350z. Performance tires are useless in the winter.

You don’t need a “fuel stabilizer.” Ethanol is probably added to gasoline sold in Indiana.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:40 PM
Fridge Gnome

I have Yokohama envigor on the front and Yokohama sport in the back.

I'll start looking into winter tires. I'm trying to buy a set of wheels right now, I could probably swing a set of winter tires on them instead of swapping my current tires.

Would I be ok just buying rear winter tires?

Last edited by Fridge Gnome; 01-09-2015 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:05 PM
aboveliquidice

Originally Posted by Fridge Gnome
I have Yokohama envigor on the front and Yokohama sport in the back.
Would I be ok just buying rear winter tires?
No. The fronts need the grip to turn; rears need the grip to push. Both need the grip to stop. I managed three years in Portland OR without snow tires. It only bit me twice, but it was miserable. I now rock two sets of wheels; one for summer and one for winter.

If snow is likely to happen AND you must be able to move the car, get snow tires. If you can afford to just leave it in the garage on snow days, I wouldn't spend the money.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:17 PM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Oh, look fridge gnome! A full thread about winterizing the Z car! Who would have thought?

*threadsmerged*
Old 01-10-2015, 01:01 AM
dowo12

I know this is old thread but thanks for the guide and i have one question: I am storing my z outside, should i start it or not? I know people here say dont but everyone i know is telling i need to start a car. I have been storing my z since november and so far i have started it 2 times. it will be stored till march. Do i keep starting it once a month(since i already did 2 times) or just leave it till March?
Old 01-10-2015, 07:24 AM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Leave it alone. Put some Seafoam or Stabl fuel additive in the tank with a full tank of gas, if you haven't already. Otherwise, just let it sit. I've heard that everytime you start the car, you create condensation in the lines which doesn't get burned off if you let the car idle.

Just a thought.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:04 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by SmoothZ
Leave it alone. Put some Seafoam or Stabl fuel additive in the tank with a full tank of gas, if you haven't already. Otherwise, just let it sit. I've heard that everytime you start the car, you create condensation in the lines which doesn't get burned off if you let the car idle.

Just a thought.
This. Especially if your fuel level is low.

Quick Reply: Ultimate Guide to storing your Z/G for the winter