Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Window not dropping much anymore?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 05:15 AM
wxtornado

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another kink - not only does the window not go up/down when opening/closing the door, sometimes now the internal power window switch doesn't work either.
Old 10-09-2003, 05:50 AM
My_Tampa_Z

My car is currently at the dealer and they say that it is normal. I insisted it is not normal and asked them to take me to a new z on the lot to demonstrate. They refused. It is becoming obvious to me that this dealer is clueless and will not return, even if it means I have to drive another 20 miles out of my way.
Old 10-22-2003, 06:11 PM
mberthia

Here's an update. I did go a fourth time for them to fix the windows. This time it was improved but still not good enough. In addition, they damaged all, yes all the trim panels on both door. Pry marks, scratches, holes, etc. They ordered the replacement parts and I had to go a fourth time to get them replaced. This time I got the Service Manager involved. It was a good thing. They atempted to improve the lowering of the windows and replaced the panels. I left the dealer fairly happy since the windows were dropping a bit and all the panels were replaced.
4-5 days later the passenger door is back to not dropping. I no longer think that the dealer can do anything about it. This is a design issue that Nissan needs to deal with. I saw a 2004 in the show room and it was as bad as mine. I will not ask them to touch it again for fear of more trim damage until I hear of a fix.
It's very anoying and loud when the window hits the door frame.
Besides, this caused some friction between me and the service department, I would rather remain on good terms with them. After all, I don't think it's their fault.
Old 10-22-2003, 06:56 PM
cheeves

Default No grease..Now water

Well they fixed( I think) my grease, but now I have water that seep in when I spray it off. Looks like glass isn't going up and making a good seal. Got into my service manual today to have a lookey see at what's involved with this drop/return issue. Come Saturday I'm gonna figure this out. Come on this isn't brain surgery. Couple things to look for, lower glass 10 to 20mm and check clearance between glass and sash, in should be PARALLEL, you'll have to loosen all mounting bolts and align until it is. As for the drop/return..this is a reset of the limit switch that is integrated into the motor. Sounds pretty straight forward, but this semi-English translation isn't the best. These are the steps for anybody interested.

1. Raise window to top dead center.

2. While pressing and holding reset switch, lower glass to bottom dead center.

3. Release reset switch, and check reset switch returns to the original position, then raise the glass to top dead center

CAUTION:
Do Not operate the glass automatically to raise the glass to the top dead center

Do Not operate the door switch is turning on.
This is word for word from the manual.

I'll have a better idea what's going on here this weekend.
Old 10-23-2003, 12:36 PM
Brando222
Ziologist

Default .

My drivers side window stopped working all together. Doesn't go down, nothing. I noticed that it was progressively getting slower and the motor was making a struggling sound before it quit. My audio person checked everything out and said that the fronts aren't causing the problem, and the window motor was gone. Hopefully the dealer doesn't hassle me for replacing the fronts.
Old 02-22-2004, 12:10 PM
DMONTE

I brought my car back to the dealer to get the rattle taken away when I shut my driver's door with the window down, which started occurring after I had the grease mark fixed. Part of that fix must be removing something which cause the window to rattle when in the down position. So when I brought it back the other day to the dealer be installed a new window regulator which got rid of the rattle but guess what now the grease mark is back again so back to the dealer again.
Old 02-26-2004, 01:34 PM
woogemooge

same here...my tech installed a new regulator because of a rattle and now the grease is back (i had the grease streak TSB done a long time ago)
Old 03-21-2004, 05:56 PM
bigern1970

Default STUCK DRIVER WINDOW

[QUOTE]Originally posted by apex locator
well, u guys should get it fixed.....its NOT normal because mine did that for a little while and now its stuck!! yup, my driver's side window is freakin stuck and wont go down.

i gotta bring it in to the dealer this weekend or next, and might as well get my window grease taken care of too, since i'm sure the door panel will be off.
[/QUOTE

WHAT WAS THE PROBLEM WITH YOUR WINDOW? IM GOING IN TOMRROW? THANKS]
Old 03-25-2004, 10:40 AM
liptonme

same problem here since Jan.... service guy says two Zs are the same. i don't think this is right. audio guy couldn't figure it out. will prob have to wait for a tsb.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:22 AM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

had my window serviced last week, ever since then, my window is making this cracking sound when going over bumps or driveway. Also it doesn't look like it's aligned when compare to the passenger window. I need to take it back to the dealer again to solve the problem.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:30 PM
rouxeny

Finally had my grease TSB done. Before, I had a little bit of window clunk, now, it's A LOT! Basically, whenever the door opens and the window goes down a little bit, it rattles (squeaks) and when I'm driving, it squeaks.

Still seems to be some grease also....
Old 03-30-2004, 08:04 PM
sal1

What's the location of the window reset switch?
Old 06-08-2004, 02:41 PM
Dissident

Default Re: No grease..Now water

Originally posted by cheeves
Well they fixed( I think) my grease, but now I have water that seep in when I spray it off. Looks like glass isn't going up and making a good seal. Got into my service manual today to have a lookey see at what's involved with this drop/return issue. Come Saturday I'm gonna figure this out. Come on this isn't brain surgery. Couple things to look for, lower glass 10 to 20mm and check clearance between glass and sash, in should be PARALLEL, you'll have to loosen all mounting bolts and align until it is. As for the drop/return..this is a reset of the limit switch that is integrated into the motor. Sounds pretty straight forward, but this semi-English translation isn't the best. These are the steps for anybody interested.

1. Raise window to top dead center.

2. While pressing and holding reset switch, lower glass to bottom dead center.

3. Release reset switch, and check reset switch returns to the original position, then raise the glass to top dead center

CAUTION:
Do Not operate the glass automatically to raise the glass to the top dead center

Do Not operate the door switch is turning on.
This is word for word from the manual.

I'll have a better idea what's going on here this weekend.
My Engrish isn't up to par, so I'm a bit confused... So, the reset switch is on the window motor, correct? So, do you basically jsut hold the rest switch while you lower the window completely, then let go and roll the window up by holding the up button (and not the auto-up feature), right?
Old 06-09-2004, 11:21 AM
ADMAN

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Well, I hate to say that I'm having the same problem too...with the driver's door. I noticed the window was not dropping down and snugging back up when the door was closed. Then, it stopped rolling down unless I pushed the top of the glass down first. Yesterday, I couldn't get it back up till I shut the car off/on and pushed the top of the glass down inside the door with the top of a pencil.

!!!WARNING!!!

Two bad experiences I've had with this problem so far...

(1) I closed my door and thought that my window was all the way up. When I came out of the movies, my window was down about five inches or so. Not good...

(2) If your window is not sealing like normal, it can be moved down by hand after your door is closed. Not good either...

Try this and see if it hapening to you too: Close your door. Lock your car. Put your palms on your window and push it down. It will drop enough to get your hand inside the car.

Bad, bad, bad...
Old 07-28-2004, 09:43 AM
roydiculous

I'm part of the club. Damn Nissan Service. Why must they have their service techs only available 9-5. Why not dedicate a Sat. or Sunday, too for us Mon-Friday guys.
Old 07-28-2004, 05:49 PM
MonkeyBoy

Default Re: Re: No grease..Now water

Originally posted by Dissident
My Engrish isn't up to par, so I'm a bit confused... So, the reset switch is on the window motor, correct? So, do you basically jsut hold the rest switch while you lower the window completely, then let go and roll the window up by holding the up button (and not the auto-up feature), right?
Old 02-20-2005, 10:48 AM
rbaggett1

I just noticed that my car is doing this on both windows now. Darn it. I first recognized this because of the black piece of plastic on the driver's side started tearing. I'm aggrevated by this but I know it's covered under warranty. It's just a pain in the **** that I have to spend time at the dealership.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:45 AM
smitpsk

Default window drop

i'm with everyone else w/ window issues.... mine is only in the beginning stages....

i haven't had the window grease TSB done yet, and after some of the horror stories, i donno if i'm even gonna worry about it.

has anyone heard of a new TSB for the drop issue as of yet?

ALSO.... u guys need to stop complaining about spending time at the dealership! i live about 2 hours from the closest Nissan dealership.... and with no saturday or sunday service, that means i have to take a day off from work in order to get my car serviced..... HUGE hassle.... feel fortunate... trust me

anyone know of a good dealership in PA or NY? if i have to drive i might as well go to a dealership that knows what they're doing
Old 03-05-2005, 04:47 PM
Edison_Chen

I've also noticed the driver side not droppping very much (about 5mm), and the passenger side is ok...

Should I be worried about it not moving? before my next oil change in May?
Old 03-06-2005, 12:00 AM
Edison_Chen

I've tried with the door open.. pushing down on the window. and the window went down even further... to the regular gap....

Time to visit dealer

Quick Reply: Window not dropping much anymore?