Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Passengar Airbag Keeps turning OFF

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 03:41 PM
Nismo 782

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passengar Airbag Keeps turning OFF

Has anyone experienced passenger airbag light coming on (stating that it is OFF). I have an 08 Nismo and sometimes when I have someone sitting in the passenger seat, the AIRBAG is off. I cannot replicate it on a regular basis. Is there a switch somewhere?
Old 02-10-2008, 05:13 PM
urban350z

My 07' does this is as well with different things on the seat, and people. It all has to do with the weight of what is on the seat. It is thinking there is a younger smaller person in the seat.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:38 PM
exchange240sx

I get this as well in my 07 on a regular basis when my girlfriend is sitting in the passenger seat. I guess she should take it as a compliment that the car doesn't think she weighs enough to be an adult...

Haven't taken it in to get it looked at yet.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:43 PM
Louis21

Originally Posted by exchange240sx
I get this as well in my 07 on a regular basis when my girlfriend is sitting in the passenger seat. I guess she should take it as a compliment that the car doesn't think she weighs enough to be an adult...

Haven't taken it in to get it looked at yet.
Exactly the same thing happens to my 07, and thats exactly the same thing i tell my GF lol
Old 02-21-2008, 12:48 PM
N350ZT

Originally Posted by Louis21
Exactly the same thing happens to my 07, and thats exactly the same thing i tell my GF lol
I got one 08, same with me.
it look like, if you are not 120, 130, no go!
Old 02-21-2008, 12:54 PM
kno

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

i have the same problem it seem lots of 07+ have this problem we should ask nissan for a recall on that like the "clutch master cylinder"
Old 02-25-2008, 12:25 PM
johnp350

i got the 07 and the same thing happens all the time
Old 03-09-2008, 02:43 PM
JL350ZSD

I have an 07 with this problem as well. Doesn't happen all the time though which is why I'm afraid of bring it to the dealer. I dont want to waste time because they cant duplicate the problem. Has anyone gone to the dealer about this?
Old 03-10-2008, 05:56 AM
Louis21

Originally Posted by JL350ZSD
I have an 07 with this problem as well. Doesn't happen all the time though which is why I'm afraid of bring it to the dealer. I dont want to waste time because they cant duplicate the problem. Has anyone gone to the dealer about this?
I remember erading about someone going t the dealer and the dealer just blowing them off saying that's the way its supposed to work...
Sad but that's NOT the case, it is not supposed to shut the airbag off when someone IS on the seat.... I doubt Nissan will do anything about it until people start getting killed because of it...sad but true
Old 03-10-2008, 06:58 AM
Tim@WestCovinaNissan
Banned

There is a sensor in the seat that measures the weight of the occupant. If the weight is around or less than 120lbs then it will automatically turn the passenger air bag off. This is how it is supposed to work. The weight sensor is not exact...it depends on how someone is sitting on the seat also. No recall...it's working the way it should.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:58 AM
Z Tuned

I remember erading about someone going t the dealer and the dealer just blowing them off saying that's the way its supposed to work...
Sad but that's NOT the case, it is not supposed to shut the airbag off when someone IS on the seat.... I doubt Nissan will do anything about it until people start getting killed because of it...sad but true
yes it is. If the passenger does not meet the weight requirement, the airbag will not turn on.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:47 AM
Louis21

Originally Posted by Tim@Performance
There is a sensor in the seat that measures the weight of the occupant. If the weight is around or less than 120lbs then it will automatically turn the passenger air bag off. This is how it is supposed to work. The weight sensor is not exact...it depends on how someone is sitting on the seat also. No recall...it's working the way it should.
I understand, but the issue that some people are experiencing in 07's is that the light will turn on (meaning the airbag is off) when they have a regular adult (>120lbs) sitting on the seat.
I know it happens on mine when my girlfriend is on it, and she's more than 120lbs and no matter how she seats the light will usually remain on. I've also had a friend of mine sit on it (who's around 200lbs) and the light will turn ON when he's on it.
Eventually after some time, sometimes the light will go off, but sometimes it just stays on. From what i understand the light should stay off as long as the person sitting weighs more than 120 and is sitting up straight.
Again its random, sometimes it'll work just fine and the light will not come on with someone sitting, but other times it does come on with the same person sitting...and again this is sitting properly since my gf will try to push herself down or switch positions when the light comes on cos she's freaked the airbag is disabled, but the light stays on. I thought it was just a thing with my car and since she doesn't ride on it often I didn't give it much of a thought but I've read a few threads with the same issue and they've all been 07's

Last edited by Louis21; 03-10-2008 at 07:54 AM.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:57 AM
Tim@WestCovinaNissan
Banned

If there is an actual problem with any part of the air bag system the air bag indicator light on the instrument cluster will flash. If it's not flashing then the occupant is not triggering the sensor with enough weight. I understand what you mean but that is the way it is designed...not just on the Z but all 06 and up Nissans.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:40 AM
SNOW_WAGON

don't let your DPSM hear you say that....hahaha
every time I go for new model or new tech, someone always brings this up, and the instructors always say "no matter what never give the customer an exact number because it changes with seating position and other variables. there for stating a exact weight can result in liabilty."

you're right though it's working as designed
Old 03-11-2008, 10:40 AM
nipponpower

If there is an actual problem with any part of the air bag system the air bag indicator light on the instrument cluster will flash. If it's not flashing then the occupant is not triggering the sensor with enough weight. I understand what you mean but that is the way it is designed...not just on the Z but all 06 and up Nissans.
what if you wanted to run aftermarket seats (brides), i know of a resistor plug, but would this override the weight sensor as well?
Old 03-11-2008, 05:58 PM
Tim@WestCovinaNissan
Banned

Originally Posted by nipponpower
what if you wanted to run aftermarket seats (brides), i know of a resistor plug, but would this override the weight sensor as well?
I checked around and we're not sure.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:22 PM
JL350ZSD

I understand, but the issue that some people are experiencing in 07's is that the light will turn on (meaning the airbag is off) when they have a regular adult (>120lbs) sitting on the seat.
I know it happens on mine when my girlfriend is on it, and she's more than 120lbs and no matter how she seats the light will usually remain on. I've also had a friend of mine sit on it (who's around 200lbs) and the light will turn ON when he's on it.
Eventually after some time, sometimes the light will go off, but sometimes it just stays on. From what i understand the light should stay off as long as the person sitting weighs more than 120 and is sitting up straight.
Again its random, sometimes it'll work just fine and the light will not come on with someone sitting, but other times it does come on with the same person sitting...and again this is sitting properly since my gf will try to push herself down or switch positions when the light comes on cos she's freaked the airbag is disabled, but the light stays on. I thought it was just a thing with my car and since she doesn't ride on it often I didn't give it much of a thought but I've read a few threads with the same issue and they've all been 07's
Yeah this is exactly whats happening to me. Its completely random, has nothing to do with the weight of the passenger or the way they are sitting. Some times it just doesn't want to work.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:28 AM
Louis21

Originally Posted by JL350ZSD
Yeah this is exactly whats happening to me. Its completely random, has nothing to do with the weight of the passenger or the way they are sitting. Some times it just doesn't want to work.
I agree, however not to stir anything up but no one seems to give you the benefit of the doubt..instead seems everyone jumped on the bandwagon telling me its the way it works and it aint broken.
I know its not the way its supposed to work, maybe the sensor is faulty or not well calibrated who knows.. without necessarily having to trigger the airbag dash light.
It makes no sense to me how I can have a 200 lb person sitting and the sensor thinks its a 'babyseat'. If it was a 130lb person I'd say ok..its justa few pounds off from the 120limit..
How can it be ok when you're driving around with the "Airbag disabled" light on and an adult person on the seat. There aren't that many ways to seat on the Z so not sitting properly just doesn't make much sense to me.
Again I'm talking about my car, i'm not saying everyone's 07 does this...just that I've seen quite a few people with 07's complaining about the same issue.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:07 AM
brownie2boost

the same thing happens to me too...i was wondering if its normal that the airbag off light doesnt come on when no one is in the seat?
Old 03-13-2008, 08:14 AM
Louis21

Originally Posted by brownie2boost
the same thing happens to me too...i was wondering if its normal that the airbag off light doesnt come on when no one is in the seat?
That is normal, from what understand, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, the light will only come on (meaning the airbag is deactivated) when it detects a certain range of weight on the seat...say for example more than 20 pounds but less than 120...which would indicate to the sensor that a small kid is probably on the seat and the airbag gets disabled because of the risk for injury to small kids.
My light remains off until someone seats on the seat..and again its random, sometimes someone seats and the light stays off..sometimes it comes on..

Quick Reply: Passengar Airbag Keeps turning OFF