Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Problem: Horn wont work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 04:28 PM
Crom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing else changed from when it was working to it stop working other than switching hubs?
Old 03-11-2008, 04:34 PM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TayTaythatsme04
got ya, I tried "grounding it with horn buttons from 3 other *****, but I try and ground it with just a wire.

Thanks Eazzy

T
Are you saying it works if you ground manually ?---With a test jumper wire
Old 03-11-2008, 05:45 PM
Al Kapwned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have a digital multimeter? If so take your positive lead and attach it to the exposed horn wire. Now place your negative lead on a known ground near the kick panel. If I am not mistaken the vehicle horn trigger wire should read 12 volts at all times until the horn is pressed in, then it should fall to 0 volts on your multimeter. If the multimeter is showing the drop from 12 to 0 volts then it sounds like the problem is not with your horn button. Also like mentioned earlier test for continuity in your wiring. Take the digital multimeter's positive lead and place it on your horn wire again, now take the negative lead and place it on a known ground in the kick panel again. The wire should read an open load when the horn is not pressed, and will not be continuous. When the horn is pressed in there should be continuity in the horn wire.

I hope this made sense. As mentioned earlier to test it manually strip some of the horn wire and take a jumper wire and touch one end of the jumper wire to the horn wire and the other end to ground. This should trigger the horn.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:26 PM
TayTaythatsme04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok guys, first of thanks for the help. I got a much better explanation of how the horn works.

Turns out the grounding rings that come with the Works Bell hub and QR were not grounding the horn button correctly. I had to bend the crap out of the ground coming off the horn button so that it hit one of the rings and BINGO, horn works.

Again thanks for the help guys, no more yelling at people out my window.

T
Old 03-11-2008, 08:43 PM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TayTaythatsme04

Turns out the grounding rings that come with the Works Bell hub and QR were not grounding the horn button correctly. I had to bend the crap out of the ground coming off the horn button so that it hit one of the rings and BINGO, horn works.

T
That was my point ---With after markets, 9 times out of 10---you get no ground or constant ground (Horn don't stop)